Underused color combinations?

worst. jersey. ever.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Green and silver is a combination I think should be used more. The Philadelphia Eagles are the only team I know of in sports that ever used that combination.

I could swear there were more than just the Eagles but after thinking about it you may be right.

BB52Big.jpg

Green and silver is a combination I think should be used more.  The Philadelphia Eagles are the only team I know of in sports that ever used that combination.  I think those two colors would look great together.

The University of Hawai'i is using green and silver, but not in the way I think you mean. But I can't think of any other teams that use exclusively green and silver. I miss that color scheme for the Eagles; it's what I grew up with.

I think Alabama and Oklahoma fans may get very upset if you refer to their color as "maroon," as some of the previous posts have stated.

You can call it whatever you want; if you put those colors side by side with an Atlanta Falcons, Calgary Flames, St. Louis Cardinals, Philadelphia Phillies or Cincinnati Reds jersey, they're not the same color. The OU and 'Bama colors are much darker, and to the naked eye, look maroon. Just because they call it by another name doesn't make it any redder.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

You can call it whatever you want; if you put those colors side by side with an Atlanta Falcons, Calgary Flames, St. Louis Cardinals, Philadelphia Phillies or Cincinnati Reds jersey, they're not the same color.

And, in regards to your list, only the Cardinals and Phillies share the exact shade of Red.

Reason #1165 why color descriptions mean NOTHING.

Later, I'll do some queries on my database and find some examples...however, it will be more difficult to find two teams with the EXACT same color scheme. There actually aren't that many out there - if you go by the Pantone colors that is.

B)

I think Alabama and Oklahoma fans may get very upset if you refer to their color as "maroon," as some of the previous posts have stated.

You can call it whatever you want; . . . just because they call it by another name doesn't make it any redder.

I think you misunderstood. Of course Oklahoma and Alabama's colors don't look the same as those teams. They are much darker, as you said, but I think you are under the impression Oklahoma and Alabama actually call their color "red."

What he meant is that people might take offense to those colors being called "maroon" when they are actually called "crimson." Maroon is more purple than crimson, by definition, and some die-hards dislike their schools' colors being misrepresented.

Other examples are Ohio State being represented as red and silver instead of scarlet and grey, or Michigan being represented as navy and gold instead of maize and blue. (The colors are crimson and white in Alabama's case and crimson and cream in Oklahoma's case.)

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

You can call it whatever you want; . . . just because they call it by another name doesn't make it any redder.

I think you misunderstood. Of course Oklahoma and Alabama's colors don't look the same as those teams. They are much darker, as you said, but I think you are under the impression Oklahoma and Alabama actually call their color "red."

What he meant is that people might take offense to those colors being called "maroon" when they are actually called "crimson." Maroon is more purple than crimson, by definition, and some die-hards dislike their schools' colors being misrepresented.

Other examples are Ohio State being represented as red and silver instead of scarlet and grey, or Michigan being represented as navy and gold instead of maize and blue. (The colors are crimson and white in Alabama's case and crimson and cream in Oklahoma's case.)

No, I get the point. But then again, Indiana's "crimson and cream" (especially in basketball) looks very little like the "crimson and cream" Oklahoma wears. My point was that you can name the color anything you want, but I disagree with the idea that "dark red" (the post I disagreed with used the term "maroon" with regard to Washington State) - be it maroon, brick red, crimson, burgundy, claret - and white is an underused color. Several prominent teams use colors in the dark red/maroon spectrum, which could loosely be described as "not as red as 'fire engine red' like the St. Louis Cardinals, but not as purple as the color the LA Lakers wear". [Not a scientific definition, but I hope you understand what I mean.]

People would understandably be upset if their beloved colors are termed incorrectly (I chafe at "Columbia Blue" for the same reason), but no matter what you call it, that color is used to a great extent without considering schools that use that color (or range of colors) with colors other than white - Minnesota, Arizona State, Harvard, Stanford...

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

-Dark green and Old Gold...i.e. USF Bulls, Lebron James' high school colors (Irish).

-Midnight/Faded Blue and Lime....i.e. Seahawks sans the medium blue.

-Wine and Champagne (old gold)...i.e. Cavaliers

-Navy and Teal.....i.e. Dolphins sans the Orange

-Army green, dark green, red, and either silver or old gold....i.e. my Warhawks concept

-Light Blue and Red i.e. Tempest's Ravage concept (over in the request thread) and kind of like the old Oilers.

It might be easier to make a list of Overused colors....

Blue is way overused at the Proffesional level IMO, even though Navy is in fact my favorite color for a sports team. (Both my HS and College alma matters had Navy as their Primary).

Just look at how Many NBA teams now have blue as their priamary or secondary color.

That said I think that color schemes are in general far too complicated anymore. Teams like The colts and Jets look great IMO as they really have a dominant color coupled with white. Yankees (though I despise them) also classic timeless uniforms.

So many are way too complicated Seahawks came up, and while I like their new uniforms, there basically are 4 colors present...actually 5, 2 shades of blue, Green, black and white.

Simple Formula should be IMO

Main Color (just about any)

Secondary Color (one of Black White, Silver, Gold)

optional

Accent color (Nice compliment or radical offset to main color)

Example

Main Color = Dark Purple

2ndary Color = Silver

Optional Accent color = Lime Green

Seahawks came up, and while I like their new uniforms, there basically are 4 colors present...actually 5, 2 shades of blue, Green, black and white.

Actually, there's no Black present in the Seahawks' colors. You might be confusing one element of the Dark Navy Blue as being Black.

That being said, I agree with your formula. Once you get past 3 colors (plus White), it just starts looking too cluttered.

-Dark green and Old Gold...i.e. USF Bulls, Lebron James' high school colors (Irish).

...aaaand adding to that, Discrim's high school colors :P

green and gold forever! B)

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

I'm a big fan of Blue, Green, White and a bit of black. Very clean. (kinda like Tampa Bay, but with a conventional Royal Blue and Green like the Athletics)

The Devil Rays DO use a conventional Royal Blue, and their Green is EXACTLY what the A's wear.

^_^

Archived