Messier hangs it up after 25 seasons

Andy

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2159316

Rangers will retire his jersey on the Jan. 12 game against- you guessed it, the Oilers.

Damn you again, Bettman and Goodenow! It would have been nice to see him on the ice last season. Great player, great career, first ballot HOF'er!

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Heck of a career for The Moose...and as a Rangers fan, I can't express enough gratitude for the magical run in 1994 and ending 54 years of frustration...

He was a HOFer from his time in Edmonton alone, IMO...but, he became a legend once he hit NY.

Thanks again, Mess! :hockeysmiley:

Little fact: Mess was the last active NHLer that played in the WHA (started his career with the Cincy Stingers)...so, the WHA's chapter of history is officially closed today.

FANTASY TEAMS

Housatonic U. Dragons (NCFA Basketball): 16-6 (8-4 Conf.)--National Runner-Up

Jersey State U. (NCFA Football): Inaugural Year - 2006

Motor City Silverhawks (WArFL): 9-4 (3rd--National Conf.)

Lehigh Valley Ironmen (WAmFL): Inaugural Season--2006

New England Marauders RFC (RLI): 6-0-7 (6th place)

Detroit Spirit (AA): 3-6 (T-4th--Patriot League)

Brooklyn Atlantics (IBF): 10-5 (1st--Appalachian Conf.)

Boston Mariners RFU (WRU): Coming Soon!

New York Americans (SHL): Inaugural Season - 2006-07

Well, it's pretty obvious the three players in the HOF in 2008 will be Messier, MacInnis and Stevens. Who will be the builder?

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

Well they all played their last game in 2004... so wouldn't they be elected in 2007?

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Well they all played their last game in 2004... so wouldn't they be elected in 2007?

Interesting point...what will happen????

spacer.png

FANTASY SPORTS: UBA (NBA): New York Scrapers | CL (MLB): St Pete Beach Clippers

He crushed the Flyers in the Cup Finals in '85 and '87, and brought a Cup to the stinkin' Rangers, but damn if I don't wish him the best and have nothing but respect for him.

Sidebar question: where does he rank all-time as an all-around hockey player? I put him 3rd behind Gordie Howe and Bobby Orr.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Sidebar question: where does he rank all-time as an all-around hockey player? I put him 3rd behind Gordie Howe and Bobby Orr.

Holy distorted ratings. I'd put him around 8th-10th, I think his durability and leadership speak louder than his stats. As far as the current generation goes, I put him behind only Gretzky and Lemieux.

Holy distorted ratings. I'd put him around 8th-10th, I think his durability and leadership speak louder than his stats. As far as the current generation goes, I put him behind only Gretzky and Lemieux.

Gretzky played defense and checked people when? I'm not saying Messier was the best scorer of all time, or best offensive player, but best all-around. Gretzky wasn't a fighter, wasn't physical or intimidating, played minimal defense (all large parts of hockey) and his best teams were led by... MESSIER. And durability and leadership absolutely matter - he ran his dressing rooms and nobody questioned it. He was The Captain.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Well, it's pretty obvious the three players in the HOF in 2008 will be Messier, MacInnis and Stevens.  Who will be the builder?

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

probably still 2008, as they just officially retired now, not 'last season'. Unless the NHL just wants to pretend its 2004-2005 all over again now. ^_^

twitter_zps93c9c8f9.png @josh_j12 smbelt_zps438edf04.png

CFA- Fargo Bobcats

Little fact: Mess was the last active NHLer that played in the WHA (started his career with the Cincy Stingers)...so, the WHA's chapter of history is officially closed today.

A slight correction: Messier played five games with the Indianapolis Racers before the team folded. After the Racers collapsed, he went to the Stingers.

A great career comes to a close. It was time for Mess to retire, but it was a good run for him.

(As for the Gretzky arguments... Gretzky's still #1 in my book. His job wasn't to fight, his job was to make plays and score goals. And he did both in boatloads. He saw the ice better than anyone. The gaps between his records and the closest to him in each category are mind-boggling.)

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Great player. Class act. 1st ballot hall of famer. One of my all time favorites even before he delivered the cup to my beloved Rangers. One of my biggest sports thrills was seeing him and Gretzky on the ice together with the Rangers. I got a chance to go see them at MSG. Us Ohio folk don't get to a lot of Rangers home games so it was a huge deal for me.

Too bad Goodenow and Bettman cost Mark a chance to go out in a more fitting fashion.

Was there ever a better team than the 80's Oilers? Man they were fun to watch.

BB52Big.jpg

Archived