Bills throwbacks

patsox

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That was supposed to be funny?   :P

I'm effing hilarious, if you don't get it, what does that say about you? :P

It says that I don't speak effing. :D

Gotta keep the language clean (for the kiddies) ;)

QPR%20Sig.png

Of course, two of your own example have, in fact, "modernized" their looks in the last ten years--the Dolphins and the Steelers. Did they change it completely? No. But they have tweaked. Miami's was an upgrade, while the Steelers' number change was a slight downgrade. (And, actually, didn't the Packers change their sleeve striping pattern in that time, too?)

Sports evolve, and uniforms evolve with them. What seems "traditional" now was once "modern." (Remember the NFL's 75th anniversary, when they broke out the really old-school looks? The Bears with the orange stripes and all that? Keep in mind that was once viewed as a traditional look.)

Now, don't mis-read me. I actually like a number of quasi-traditional looks. But, I don't believe that retro for retro's sake is the way to go, either. Sometimes, clinging to tradition can be detrimental, while in other cases it's necessary.

In the case of the Bills, it is true that most of their current look is pretty awful. However, the throwback uni they broke out in week 1 looks, to me, dated. Sure, it's traditional, etc, etc. It's also dull. The helmet logo looks like something you'd see held up by a parent's refrigerator magnet. It would probably be a good idea for the Bills to undergo a redesign, and it would make sense for them to take pieces of their tradition and work them into a new look. However, I don't think simply falling back to the era they've chosen would be a good choice for week-in, week-out wear.

You're right, many of the crazier "modern" looks will most likely be fondly forgotten. However, I'd hate to see 32 teams wear fully "traditional" jerseys, because in my mind, all the teams would look nearly identical, save the colours (which likely would be from a rather short list). While some people would probably love that, I cringe at the idea.

There's definitely a middle ground. (And, boy howdy, do the Bills need to find it.)

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Of course, two of your own example have, in fact, "modernized" their looks in the last ten years--the Dolphins and the Steelers.

I think you need to read what I wrote again. This is what I said.

There is a reason that teams like The Packers, The Raiders, The Steelers, The Dolphins etc. have not "modernized" to a whole new look since the advent of facemasks and better uniform material.

Note that I said modernized to a whole new look meaning that even with the tweaks their uniforms were still essentially the same classic look they have used since "the advent of facemasks and better uniform material." Again my point was that yes there were some bad unis in the 40's but they also wore leather helmets and canvas pants. My refernce point for comparison is the modern era which most football experts agree started for the NFL in the late 50's and early 60's.

Comparing 30's and 40's throwbacks to what I was saying is like comparing the old 1890's unis to the uniforms of baseball's modern era.

If you go back to 1938 the Yankees, Dodgers or Cardinals uniforms are not going to look so different that you wouldn't recognize them. By the same token most baseball teams today would not look out of place in 1938. Their uniform material would be different and the fit and cut would be different but can you honestly say that the Indians current uniforms would look space-age modern if they wore them in 1938? If the 86 Astros showed up in 1938 they would look as ridiculous then as they did in 1986.

That is the difference between "retro" and a traditional look. The 86 Astros rainbow jersey is retro but it's hardly traditional. It was a style then and it's an embarassment now. We'll be saying the same thing about Falcons and Cardinals jerseys in 10 years.

Like I have said all along. There is a reason that the 55 Dodgers unis look a great deal like the 05 Dodgers unis and the 67 Packers or Raiders look a lot like the 05 versions. When you got it right no "evolution" is necessary.

There is no reason to change just for the sake of change. Just ask Buffalo. :D

BB52Big.jpg

Those Bills throwbacks worn yesterday are sick and they should wear them every single game. Any thoughts?

I agree 100%. Those were without a doubt the best unis I have seen in a long time.

And to the naysayers...Why the heck does everything have to be "modern" anyway? Man we have turned into such a 5 minute society. If it didn't happen 5 minutes ago it's not worth keeping. Sorry but I am old school to the core. The more throwbacks the better. There's a reason Mitchell & Ness are gazillionaires and it ain't from selling current Falcons and Cardinals jerseys.

just my 2 cents :D

Add my 2 cents to yours. Old school is the best school.

And with that attitude, you're probably still in school, and will be there for a long time.

While the 1965 uniforms were better than what they currently wear, they should not be brought back full-time.

For your information, I am a professional, a physician, who appreciates that the simple, clean look is often the classic look. By your statement I can tell youre the kind of person who tries to ridicule anyone that doesnt agree with you. That sounds very immature. Grow up and appreciate that not everything that smacks of "progress" is actually better than what was there before, and I'm entitled to my opinion, just as you are entitled to yours.

metslogo_215.gif

Those Bills throwbacks worn yesterday are sick and they should wear them every single game. Any thoughts?

I agree 100%. Those were without a doubt the best unis I have seen in a long time.

And to the naysayers...Why the heck does everything have to be "modern" anyway? Man we have turned into such a 5 minute society. If it didn't happen 5 minutes ago it's not worth keeping. Sorry but I am old school to the core. The more throwbacks the better. There's a reason Mitchell & Ness are gazillionaires and it ain't from selling current Falcons and Cardinals jerseys.

just my 2 cents :D

Add my 2 cents to yours. Old school is the best school.

And with that attitude, you're probably still in school, and will be there for a long time.

While the 1965 uniforms were better than what they currently wear, they should not be brought back full-time.

For your information, I am a professional, a physician, who appreciates that the simple, clean look is often the classic look. By your statement I can tell youre the kind of person who tries to ridicule anyone that doesnt agree with you. That sounds very immature. Grow up and appreciate that not everything that smacks of "progress" is actually better than what was there before, and I'm entitled to my opinion, just as you are entitled to yours.

I thought we established that I was kidding sometime yesterday? Oh well...

QPR%20Sig.png

I thought we established that I was kidding sometime yesterday? Oh well...

I think there was a rule about a month or so ago that you can't kid/joke/play on the message boards anymore, everything must be serious... :D

Back to the thread at hand. Modern, retro, throwback, futuristic, whatever. The Bills need to do something with their unis. The currents aren't it, and those 1965 throwbacks aren't it either. Back to the drawing board...

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Guess he doesn't speak Effing, either.... :P

Would you rather I curse in front of the young'ns? But I digress.

I agree with Jigga's asessment that neither the 1965 or 2005 uniforms work for the Bills, and something that takes its cues from the 1965 uniforms (with a more modern, cohesive striping pattern) would be best.

QPR%20Sig.png

If a team achieved greatness in a particular uni, and the look itself is a good one, shouldn't that have something to do with it? The "modern" Bills look in whatver version represents futility (for example, 0-4 in Super Bowls) while their week one 1965 look is one in which the team excelled. This is a la Parcells' reasoning in bringing back the classic Jets uni's, of which I'm a big fan (except when they wear those God-awful green pants). I'm not saying the look influences performance, but as a fan, I'd rather see my team in uni's that I associate with success.

Speaking as a Saints fan, however, I have to admit to not wanting to apply this logic to my own team as I really despised the 80's-90's State of Louisiana logo jersey/pants and the San Diego-style numbers.

Another poster said white helmets are underrated. I agree and would add that white in general is underrated as a uni color. A great road uni is all white and trimmed in team colors, like these that the Saints wore in 1975. They wore gold pants before then and switched to black when Hank Stram arrived as coach in 1976. I play the Saints in these in Madden from time to time and they look great.

NewOrleans75.gif

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

If a team achieved greatness in a particular uni, and the look itself is a good one, shouldn't that have something to do with it? The "modern" Bills look in whatver version represents futility (for example, 0-4 in Super Bowls) while their week one 1965 look is one in which the team excelled.

This is a little off topic but...

Going to 4 straight Super Bowls hardly qualifies as futility. Futility in the Super Bowl Yes, but futility as a franchise? No way. The unis you refer to represent the most successful era in the Bills NFL history. If my team is going to fail I would rather they fail in 4 straight super bowls than anywhere else.

When I think of modern era futility I think of The Cardinals, Browns, Lions, Saints (sorry) and the like. I honestly believe that making 4 straight super bowls is harder and more impressive than winning just one. The 90's Bills were one of the all-time great teams in NFL history. Don't let ESPN and their "win the big one or you're nothing Dan Marino and Charles Barkley" attitudes make you think otherwise. Super Bowl rings are certainly the ultimate prize but they are by no means the only measure of greatness. If they were then Mark Rypien or Joe Theisman should have been in Dan Marino's spot in Canton last month.

BB52Big.jpg

Winning four AFC titles is not a mark of futility. Rather, it's a great accomplishment. If you can't be #1, then #2 is a pretty good consolation prize and I'd take it over four 4-12 seasons anyday. That, however, is another topic for another board.

The Bills, however, looked their best in those uniforms they wore to those four straight Super Bowls, so I think they should switch to those full time. What they wore Sunday, or anything they ever wore, would be better than their current uniforms. The 1965 uniforms were very nice, but I'd update the helmet logo a bit.

Those Bills jerseys are sharp, and while the modernized Bills look is...confusing, sometimes the classic look is untoppable. I hope they make a move to retro their uni's out, just add some motion to the Buffalo on the helmet.

*first post, btw!* B)

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

If a team achieved greatness in a particular uni, and the look itself is a good one, shouldn't that have something to do with it?  The "modern" Bills look in whatver version represents futility (for example, 0-4 in Super Bowls) while their week one 1965 look is one in which the team excelled.

This is a little off topic but...

Going to 4 straight Super Bowls hardly qualifies as futility. Futility in the Super Bowl Yes, but futility as a franchise? No way. The unis you refer to represent the most successful era in the Bills NFL history. If my team is going to fail I would rather they fail in 4 straight super bowls than anywhere else.

When I think of modern era futility I think of The Cardinals, Browns, Lions, Saints (sorry) and the like. I honestly believe that making 4 straight super bowls is harder and more impressive than winning just one. The 90's Bills were one of the all-time great teams in NFL history. Don't let ESPN and their "win the big one or you're nothing Dan Marino and Charles Barkley" attitudes make you think otherwise. Super Bowl rings are certainly the ultimate prize but they are by no means the only measure of greatness. If they were then Mark Rypien or Joe Theisman should have been in Dan Marino's spot in Canton last month.

I was speaking in relative terms. They were champs in '65, which trumps making the Super Bowl but losing. IMHO of course. B)

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Archived