Blue Mules

Kess

This is one I've been messing around with for a long, long time and finally finished. My hometown - Springfield, MO - is still talking about building an arena downtown and bringing in minor league hockey. I picked the name Blue Mules for several reasons:

1. It's attention-getting and doesn't include the words "Ice", "Cats" or "Dogs" and does not make superfluous use of the letters "X" or "Z".

2. Milling was an important industry in the development of Springfield (one of the oldest milling operations west of the Mississippi is in Springfield).

3. One of the mills produced "Blue Mule Feed." Their logo was still painted on an old mill building up until a few years ago.

4. The Mule is Missouri's state animal.

5. There is also a bluegrass song called "The Blue Mule." Bluegrass is popular in the area and that old-tymey music is deep-rooted in the Ozarks. Big Smith, a much-beloved band, was featured in a documentary that played in the Hot Docs Festival - in Toronto, I think.

6. There is no sixth thing.

So here are the jerseys. I chose the colors because I like them. There's no real tie-in to the name with them. The shoulders are blank because I don't have the skills to design a secondary logo. The crest is a re-colored Army logo from logoserver.com.

Much love to Father "Time?" for the template and resources.

BlueMulesWhite2.png

BlueMules_color.png

Comments and critiques are certainly welcomed.

SpringfieldCardinalsWord.gif

Thanks, OB. Looking at it now I can see what you're saying about the colors being "flat." When I started this thing the color palette almost exactly matched the St. Louis Blues - which wasn't intentional. I played around a bit with the colors, dropped the yellow for copper and brown and lightened up the blue. It looked good at first.

I'm glad you thought the name was okay. I really dig it, but worried it might be too over the top, or too much of a reach.

Thanks again for the feedback. It is much appreciated.

SpringfieldCardinalsWord.gif

Not too shabby....

I've heard all the talk about Springfield and joining the happy world of minor league hockey and I think this would work for them...especially after that little background story ya put up at the beginning.

FANTASY TEAMS

Housatonic U. Dragons (NCFA Basketball): 16-6 (8-4 Conf.)--National Runner-Up

Jersey State U. (NCFA Football): Inaugural Year - 2006

Motor City Silverhawks (WArFL): 9-4 (3rd--National Conf.)

Lehigh Valley Ironmen (WAmFL): Inaugural Season--2006

New England Marauders RFC (RLI): 6-0-7 (6th place)

Detroit Spirit (AA): 3-6 (T-4th--Patriot League)

Brooklyn Atlantics (IBF): 10-5 (1st--Appalachian Conf.)

Boston Mariners RFU (WRU): Coming Soon!

New York Americans (SHL): Inaugural Season - 2006-07

It's more than just recoloring, it's a whole concept. So it's good, it shows a bit more effort and thought than "paint-by-numbers".

I don't think either shade of brown goes with the blues. I would just pick one (maybe the lighter one) but have it outlined in the darker blue for contrast.

For the lettering on the blue jersey, it's too small to read with the brown. Either have it white with a blue outline, or put a thicker white outline around it.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Kess - as a fellow Missouri man, I took took to the use of this beloved animal in our great state. My fantasy football team, the Missouri Mules, is a tribute to the great animal that worked and lived here. Many travelers and those headed West on the many trails that lead away from St. Joseph and Kansas City - used Mules to pull their wagons and ferry supplies.

Even Central Missouri State Univ. uses the Mules/Jennies (female mule) as their mascot!!!

I love the use of "blue" in the name. Great concept and great idea!!!

Go Mules!!!

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

Archived