We are possible witnessing what could possibly be

oz615

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I may be wrong, but....

I think the Red Sox-Yankees would have a one-game playoff only if they are both tied with Cleveland. (Then the loser of the East game plays Cleveland to determine the wild card team.) If they're tied, but Cleveland is 1 up or 1 back, they go by regular season records to decide the East champion.

I think that's why Chicago's clinched the division, even though there's the possiblity of them being tied with the Indians.

I think that's why Chicago's clinched the division, even though there's the possiblity of them being tied with the Indians.

Please explain to me how the Sox have already clinched when there are no tiebreakers in MLB.

If they have identical records after 162 games, there is a one game playoff.

6uXNWAo.png

Itis explained, even on MLB.com, that because the SOX have won the season series, even if they end up tied with the Indians, the SOX would win via tiebreaker. That is how it is explained. I don't get it, but that's how it is.

The SOX are the Champs.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Itis explained, even on MLB.com, that because the SOX have won the season series, even if they end up tied with the Indians, the SOX would win via tiebreaker. That is how it is explained. I don't get it, but that's how it is.

The SOX are the Champs.

I am just guessing but I wonder if this head to head record tiebreaker was implemented when MLB added the all-star game winner getting home field in the world series and all that. The rule change may have been part of the last collective bargaining agreement or something and this is just the first time there is a possibility they may have to use it. Just a guess. :D

BB52Big.jpg

The SOX are the Champs.

I think the SOX have at least clinched the wild-card... the one-game playoff isn't played if it's a tie between div champ and wild-card team because both teams make the playoffs anyways.

I believe that happened in 2001 with the Cards and Astros.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

The SOX are the Champs.

I think the SOX have at least clinched the wild-card... the one-game playoff isn't played if it's a tie between div champ and wild-card team because both teams make the playoffs anyways.

Exactly.

Cards and Stros did end up tied that year...I think the Stros got the division title, while the Cards ended up as the WC...or was it the other way around? :lol:

Either way, they didn't have a playoff...and if it happens here (as in the Tribe and South Siders end up tied), it'll be the same as the 2001 NL...one team gets the division, the other gets the WC (and the runner up in the East is S.O.L. )

FANTASY TEAMS

Housatonic U. Dragons (NCFA Basketball): 16-6 (8-4 Conf.)--National Runner-Up

Jersey State U. (NCFA Football): Inaugural Year - 2006

Motor City Silverhawks (WArFL): 9-4 (3rd--National Conf.)

Lehigh Valley Ironmen (WAmFL): Inaugural Season--2006

New England Marauders RFC (RLI): 6-0-7 (6th place)

Detroit Spirit (AA): 3-6 (T-4th--Patriot League)

Brooklyn Atlantics (IBF): 10-5 (1st--Appalachian Conf.)

Boston Mariners RFU (WRU): Coming Soon!

New York Americans (SHL): Inaugural Season - 2006-07

The SOX are the Champs.

Yes that happened with the Cards and Astros. They were considered "Co-champions" but for the playoffs the Astros were deemed the Central division champions while the Cardinals were the wild card.

The only situation where there is a playoff is when the Playoffs are on the line. If its just the distinction between Wild Card and Champion, there are tiebreakers in place.

So, even if the Indians and the White Sox tie, 2 things. first they are called "co-champs" and second, the white sox hold the head to head.

Someone wanna tell me who's got the tie-breaker between the Yanks and Sox then??

It doesn't apply in their case...

The White Sox are in no matter what happens...at worst, they'll split the Central title with the Tribe, but the Tribe gets the WC b/c the Sox won the season series...

The EXACT same thing happened in 2001 with the NL Central race...the Cards and Astros finished in a flat foot tie, but b/c they were both head & shoulders ahead of anyone else in the WC race, the Astros "won" the Central b/c they had taken the season series with the Cards.

And right now, it would ring true here as well if the Tribe tied the White Sox...

FANTASY TEAMS

Someone wanna tell me who's got the tie-breaker between the Yanks and Sox then??

The White Sox are in no matter what happens...at worst, they'll split the Central title with the Tribe, but the Tribe gets the WC b/c the Sox won the season series...

The EXACT same thing happened in 2001 with the NL Central race...the Cards and Astros finished in a flat foot tie, but b/c they were both head & shoulders ahead of anyone else in the WC race, the Astros "won" the Central b/c they had taken the season series with the Cards.

And right now, it would ring true here as well if the Tribe tied the White Sox...

That doesn't really answer my question. Let me put it to you this way, if theRed Sox take 2 of 3 from the Yankees, and they both finish with identical records, who wins the AL East? Didn't this happen back in '78 and the 163rd game was actually played to determine the division winner?!

6uXNWAo.png

That doesn't really answer my question. Let me put it to you this way, if theRed Sox take 2 of 3 from the Yankees, and they both finish with identical records, who wins the AL East? Didn't this happen back in '78 and the 163rd game was actually played to determine the division winner?!

It would go to a playoff then....

and that's only b/c the runner up would still finish behind the Tribe..

now, if BOTH teams happen to finish ahead of Cleveland, then the safety net comes out and it would go by the season series (seeing both teams would be safely in)...

FANTASY TEAMS

now, if BOTH teams happen to finish ahead of Cleveland, then the safety net comes out and it would go by the season series (seeing both teams would be safely in)...

Yes. There'd be a one game playoff if the Red Sox take 2 out of 3 from the Yankees.

Because they won a coin toss, the Yankees would host that game. I believe the Red Sox would host the Indians if they're tied for the wildcard. I think the Indians would host a one game playoff with the Yankees.

Not completely sure about the last one, but I'm pretty certain about the first two.

IUe6Hvh.png

Yes. There'd be a one game playoff if the Red Sox take 2 out of 3 from the Yankees.

Because they won a coin toss, the Yankees would host that game. I believe the Red Sox would host the Indians if they're tied for the wildcard. I think the Indians would host a one game playoff with the Yankees.

Not completely sure about the last one, but I'm pretty certain about the first two.

That's what I thought. I just don't get how the Sox have beaten the Tribe already when they can finish with the same record still. I'm still not buying the whole tie-breaker thing.

6uXNWAo.png

That's what I thought. I just don't get how the Sox have beaten the Tribe already when they can finish with the same record still. I'm still not buying the whole tie-breaker thing.

Dude. It's over. Why don't you just go to MLB.com and see for yourself. It's been a full day now and no one in baseball has changed their mind. The Sox win the division. I admire your steadfastness but face the facts The White Sox have won the division. And finally, now there is no way they can finish with the same record. So it's definitely over at this point. (But it was still officially over yesterday)

Now on to the actual race that is still going on (well technically at least) Tribe loses 3-1 in 13. Boston beats New York. The Indians are on serious life support at this point. It ain't looking good right now. It's literally do or die tomorrow afternoon.

Go Tribe. Anyone but Boston. :D

BB52Big.jpg

DC... that's the way baseball does it when both teams are playoff bound.

It happened in 2001 with the NL Central.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

It was 3-2....but whatever. :P

Wagner Athletic Group

11-2 Saskatoon Steeds (WAFL)-NFL-2014 Western Conference Champions / 8-5 Calgary Pronghorns (TNFF)-CFL-2014 Confederation Cup XI Champions

14-6-2 Saskatoon Yellowheads (XHL)-NHL-1st, Gretzky Conference / 5-4-0 Saskatoon Czars (MLH)-AHL-T2nd, Calder Conference

7-1-6 VfL Dortmund (Weltliga)-Bundesliga-3rd, League / 5-1-5 West End AFC (WFL)-EPL-T5th, League

14-7 Saskatoon Sheiks (AA)-MLB-2014 Founder's Cup Champions

The White Sox will nolonger beable to hide their futillity oif tehy collapse like this. For year nobody ahas noticed they have not Won a World Series since 1917 becuase the Cubs and Red Sox got more attention and nobody has noticed they have not been to a Fall Classic since 1959 thats to teh Cubs long futility.

And that's what people said about the Red Sox up until...oh, about last year.

Wouldn't it be wild if the Sox clear their curses in back-to-back seasons?

It's been 86 years since the Black Sox scandal, anyway.

Let the Curse-Reversing BEGIN! 9191, BABY!

Super Wario Comix!

Iron Crossover IX Contender (Tied for 6th)

Iron Crossover Halloween Contender (Tied for Bronze)

vanhalengo.png

Well the White Sox curse has been largely over looked with the Cubs now at 97 and counting and the Red Sox happening on such a grand stage, but now that teh Red SOx won the White Sox are gtiing mor e of a look, if they did fall apart then there would have been no more hiding.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Archived