Cy Young / MVP Picks

Pat

I know Jones had a great season, and I'm not going to be upset at him getting the MVP if he indeed does...however..

Pujols hasn't had a stellar team behind him or anything. Rolen's been out the whole year, Edmonds isn't the Edmonds of old that's for sure, Sanders and Walker were out for long stretches and many points during hte year, light hitting Yadier Molina was batting in the 4 hole. Instead of picking up a team of feel good rookies, Pujols has lead a team full of journey men minor leaguers the whole year. Guys like John Rodriequez, John Gall, Mike Mahoney and Scott Seabol all got quite a bit of playing time this year. Not to mention life time Major league roll players like John Mabry, So Taguchi, and Abraham Nunez getting the starting nod for over half the year.

Throw on top of that the Cardinals replaced 3/4 of their middle infield with David Eckstein, Mark Gruezelanek and Yadier Molina. Yadier meanwhile pretty much can owe 80% of his hitting success directly to Albert Pujols as the two talked hitting constantly and Albert worked with the young catcher.

And yes, the Braves had a lot of rookies. However, it wasn't like they were "typical" rookies. I think you put a "typical" rookie in place of John Francouer and the Braves would be battling for the wild card right now.

Again, not saying Jones doesn't derserve it, in fact I might vote for him if I had a vote. But its important to note that without Pujols, this team really isn't the same team at all.

Anyway, my picks. The close ones were given nods by my heart instead of my head.

NL

MVP: Albert

CY: Carp

MOY: Cox

ROY: Francouer

AL

MVP: Big Papi

CY: Colon

MOY: Torre (I hate this pick, but this is the first year I think he actually had to manage since his days with the Cardinals)

ROY: Huston Street

See the Smiley? It was all in fun... Can't a brotha joke with members of the community?

Oops. Sorry if it came across that way but I was not angry at all. Did you miss the smiley at the end of my post? Can't a brother run a little "oh gimme a break" smack? This is the trouble with posts sometimes. It's hard to type inflection. Sorry for the misunderstanding. I was just trying to defend my boy Cliff. :D

BB52Big.jpg

I was just trying to defend my boy Cliff. :D

With Colon's getting shelled Sunday, Cliff Lee's looking a bit better, huh?

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

AL MVP: David Ortiz - Number one guy in the AL. Easy pick.

AL CY: Bartolo Colon - Scary stuff.

NL MVP: Andruw Jones - No question. more valuable than Pujols. I even drafted Albert #1 overall in my fantasy draft, but i think AJ was far more valuable. I think AJs batting average works FOR him... all those stats with less overall hits? thats amazing.

AL CY: Chris Carpenter - no one the opposing team felt more helpless agianst (though, this last week has been rough)

NL ROY - My boy Frankie! Playing like a vet after a late call up. I wouldnt be shocked to see him named a playoff series MVP.

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

MOY: Torre (I hate this pick, but this is the first year I think he actually had to manage since his days with the Cardinals)

Except for the years the Yankees won the World Series when the played small ball by bunting and hit-and-runs. Both called by the manager. I will grant you in the last couple of years he was pretty much had to do nothing because of all of "George's Toy's" however the championship years he actually managed.

AL MVP- A-Rod, You can't win without defense thus you need to play defense to win MVP

CY Young- Aaron Small :D Seriously, I don't know Colon seems to have had a good year.

NL MVP- Pujols or Jones

NL Cy- Clemens

Archived