I've switched sides...

vicfurth

The Chargers navy blues are great. They just are.

The powder blues are good, but not quite as good.

And if there's any doubt, here's the clincher...the navy blue set is 100% consistant in terms of outline/striping. It's a thing of beauty. The powder blue set is like 4% consistant.

I could see them continuing to use the powder blues as a throwback, and I could see them doing an updated powder blue set (preferably the exact same as the current but just swap navy for powder...maybe adding the extra stripe on the shoulder) but still just as an alt.

I have liked some of the concepts with navy and powder, but I see no reason to add a third color...it looks cluttered when it doesn't have to.

I'd like to see the Chargers come up with a logo more suited as a primary logo (whether or not it appeared on the uniform), but other wise, their uniforms are about as close to perfect as your gonna get.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have liked some of the concepts with navy and powder, but I see no reason to add a third color...it looks cluttered when it doesn't have to.

Agreed. I think it's either or. The Chargers have a look that is great now and don't need to be adding extra color components.

The royal blues were the ones I fell in love with some 26 years ago. I was really, really p*ssed when they went to the heavy navy set in the late 80s, primarily because they had ditched the lightning bolt on the pants.:mad: But with it added back, the set they have now is awesome.:D

My only wish would be the reveral of the yellow & white, like they used to have it. It wouldn't mean a return to the yellow pants, because we had that look with the white pants before.

Chargers_Yellowbolt_yellownumbers_whitepants3.jpg

It's amazing how simple this is, but I believe that by adding just a yellow facemask, the whole uni brightens up considerably.

And in order:

1 current navy

2 navy with yellow/white inversion

3 royals

4 throwbacks

...they should leave them in the closet next to the bellbottoms and audio cassette players.  Same goes to the Giants, Jets and any team that decides to go old permanently.   :puke:

Yeah, the Jets really dropped the ball by ditching this and going "old scool". :rolleyes:

NYJets90.gif

Actually going old school was the best thing the Jets have done since winning Super Bowl III.

I really like those old kelly green jerseys better than what they have now - especially now that they have that weird under-arm thing going on. The green helmet is better, too, especially when the Jets went to metallic green.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

The Chargers' powder blues are best.

The Chargers' royal blues are second-best.

The Chargers' navy blues? Yuck.

I haven't been on this site long enough to know the history behind it all, but there's more hate here for the powder blues than anywhere else I've seen on the 'net...and I'm not sure why.

Personally, I haven't seen a Chargers set I didn't like except for when the helmet bolt was solid blue and when the pants stripe wasn't a bolt. The navy sets are fine, but IMO I wouldn't use them because (1) there are already a lot of NFL teams using navy or at least a darker blue, including one in the Chargers' own division (2) the Chargers play outdoors in a warm climate; why wear such a dark color at home?

I don't agree that the powders don't look professional. When I see a photo of a Charger player in powder blue - be it from the AFL era or a recent throwback - I think of wide open skies and a wide open offense, a team that can light up the scoreboard but one that's not focused on defense. (Is that why the hate? A light color not "tough enough"?) When I see the navy blues, I think "conservative," a grind-it-out, low-scoring, ball-control offense and a tough defense. Royal blues? Somewhere in between.

Up to me? I'd go with some form of the powders as primary uni, royals a/k/a "Air Coryells" as throwbacks/alts, and lose the navy altogether. Whatever the set, the striping needs to be consistent along with the helmet bolt (as STL FANATIC points out).

FWIW I've owned two Chargers' jerseys in my lifetime; currently a Junior Seau 40th anniversary powder throwback and a Gary Garrison royal home replica c.1974.

tzch6.jpg

I haven't been on this site long enough to know the history behind it all, but there's more hate here for the powder blues than anywhere else I've seen on the 'net...and I'm not sure why.

Too many people think they're on pedestals...:P

I think there a lot of passionate people in this community with a great attention to detal that have an open forum to say whatever the hell they want...lol.

We love them all and that's what makes this community so great.

I agree with taking the powder blues modern but ditching the numbers on the white helmets. However, I think they navy blues are very nice also. Unwind23, where are you when we need you?

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

...they should leave them in the closet next to the bellbottoms and audio cassette players. Same goes to the Giants, Jets and any team that decides to go old permanently. :puke:

Yeah, the Jets really dropped the ball by ditching this and going "old scool". :rolleyes:

Actually going old school was the best thing the Jets have done since winning Super Bowl III.

I really like those old kelly green jerseys better than what they have now - especially now that they have that weird under-arm thing going on. The green helmet is better, too, especially when the Jets went to metallic green.

I agree. This was a rare positive "just add black."

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

'79 is good for consistency in the striping, but I think

SanDiego64.gif

is a little better in that respect. Lose the helmet numbers, darken the blue just a bit (as pointed out earlier, the powders did get darker through the 1960s) and you get a winner. Using yellow pants would lose the consistent yellow bolt, unless you placed it within a white stripe, which might work as well but isn't as elegantly simple as just having the stripe be the bolt.

tzch6.jpg

I have often praised the powder blues. I will say that I agree with vicfurth now. I like the current look better. Powder Blues are great and surely should stick around to be worn AT LEAST once a year but not every week or every half the season. I will say the all white unis with the old white helmets and the lightning bolt pants are great as road unis vs. the current look. Now, the Coryell era? No. Look at the jerseys and the numbers. They are SO 1980s. Bring them back now and they'd never work.

-Daniel
Check Out My Podcast! Latest Episode 273: The Color Blinky
Latest Photo Upload: January 7, 2012

San Diego should never--I repeat, never--switch to the powders. The currents are the best in the AFC.

Current:

343_092505ltmonsterday.jpg

Come into the light. All are welcome in the light. :D

I've been in the light for a few years now ^_^

I haven't been on this train as long as some, but I'm on it nonetheless:

I just took a good look and realized that there really is nothing wrong with the Chargers current uniforms. Hey, they could always be the Falcons.

tx_brees_all.jpg

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

I think the Chargers are one of the teams that really benefitted from tackle twill numbers. Those screened numbers always looked so cheap.

Here are the only changes I would make to the current unis:

-on the road jersey, change the numbers to blue-yellow-blue for better contrast

-white or yellow facemask

I don't think the bolts should be yellow. A lightning bolt is usually pure white.

Archived