ESPN GameDay Crew

bhambruiser

As an Alabama fan, I must preface this comment by saying I have a clear SEC bias....

But how could ESPN GameDay choose to go to the USC-Arizona State game over the Alabama-Florida game?

The USC game will only be seen on the West Coast (as far as I know)- it is being carried by ABC (shocker as to why they would pick this over the SEC game being aired by CBS)...USC-AZ St should be a decent game, but in my opinion the better atmosphere will be in T-Town for sure...but to me this is another situation where ESPN is either dissing the SEC (remember they went to BC-FSU over UT-UF?? Last Week) or just being mind numbingly stupid.

They have started going to the games that are being aired by either their station (ESPN) or the momma station (ABC)...anyway..just venting...thoughts?...and predictions of both games while we're at it...

USC and Florida for the predictions

You're probably right about the better environment for the Alabama-Florida game, but come on, its USC.  Aren't they like the only team in college football?  <_<

Why yes. Yes they are. In fact ESPN has coronated USC as the greatest college team in history. That was their poll question just a few days ago. I imagine ESPN was simply astonished that nearly 75% of respondents did not think USC was the greatest team ever. The rest of us are simply fodder to fill time until they can hype USC some more.

How can I put this? ESPN sucks.

BB52Big.jpg

ASU is ranked and may be a test for USB, who is just unbelievablly good its teh right choice, Bama may have a better traditional atmosphere but USC_ASU is teh biggest game.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

ASU is ranked and may be a test for USB, who is just unbelievablly good its teh right choice, Bama may have a better traditional atmosphere but USC_ASU is teh biggest game.

I don't know...#5 Florida (4-0) vs. #15 Alabama (4-0) seems like a pretty darn good game to me.

AM.gif

It's all about $$$, and getting as many people as possible to watch the USC/ASU game. It doesn't matter that it's only available on the west coast. Bottom line is it's on ABC, and the 'Bama/Florida game is on CBS.

Look at it this way: You work at a TV network (Oh, say ESPN), and you have the choice of promoting one of two events. One of them is being televised by your parent company, and is roughly equivilant (both feature ranked opponents, and "big name" schools) to the other (which is being televised by your competator). Me thinks you're getting fired if you pick promoting the SEC game...

Moose

And I just want to add that I'll be realy pissed if GameDay isn't in Nashville for LSU/Vandy next week...

The thing that bugs me about this choice is that we all know who is gonna win the USC-ASU game. The Alabama-Florida game could go either way. And since when does Gameday ever turn down a chance to go to the Quad?

I guess with all this bias, I guess Lienhart will get "comeback" player of the year. And heck, let's give Pete Carrol the coach of the year, over who should be the winner - Vandy's coach. Am I bitter? Heck yeah I am. :D

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% about how you react to it.
App State Mountaineers / Alabama Crimson Tide / Atlanta Braves / New York Jets / Atlanta Hawks
"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards." [Bear Bryant]
Redmond Rampage

USC is the best team ever.

BTW: The servers are our friends..they are here to serve us..we need to get more servers.

I don't know. I'd take my chances with some of the Miami teams against this current USC team. That said, I might have even agreed USC is the best ever if ESPN hadn't pulled their usual "is (insert latest champion here) the best ever?" It just gets old and it's such overkill that it's almost ridiculous to even have the discussion anymore. Are they the best or am I just falling for more ESPN hype? It's not a matter of whether they are or not. It's simply a matter of ESPN diluting the discussion by bestowing immortality on any team that wins a title.

BB52Big.jpg

USC is the best team ever.

BTW: The servers are our friends..they are here to serve us..we need to get more servers.

I don't know. I'd take my chances with some of the Miami teams against this current USC team. That said, I might have even agreed USC is the best ever if ESPN hadn't pulled their usual "is (insert latest champion here) the best ever?" It just gets old and it's such overkill that it's almost ridiculous to even have the discussion anymore. Are they the best or am I just falling for more ESPN hype? It's not a matter of whether they are or not. It's simply a matter of ESPN diluting the discussion by bestowing immortality on any team that wins a title.

Didn't ESPN's last annointed "Best College Team Ever" lose it's last two games?

It's just a program. GameDay is not obligated to be at any particular site. If they want to be at USC-ASU, then so be it. I happen to think Florida-Alabama is the biggest game next Saturday, but where they go is their prerogative.

All the critics seem to forget that Herbstreit publicly lobbied for GameDay to visit Tuscaloosa during last Saturday's wrap-up show, knowing CBS announced it would televise the game five days earlier. The crew is not afraid to go anywhere, regardless of the network carrying the game. They've visited sites of games not being carried by ABC or ESPN before, most recently the SEC Championship last year on CBS. Do you honestly think the GameDay crew will sit at home when Fox picks up the BCS in 2007?

In the end, it won't matter much. I know I'll be watching on Saturday morning. Those six guys know more about football than I do, and I resepct their opinions. Some of you who don't like GameDay's choice will probably be watching, too. If I disapproved of their choice to visit Tempe, I wouldn't watch. I guess some people either like to start conspiracy theories or are just gluts for punishment.

Didn't ESPN's last annointed "Best College Team Ever" lose it's last two games?

I know one of their "best team ever" picks, The 2002 Miami Hurricanes, lost the National Championship game in the Fiesta Bowl to a team that wasn't even supposed to be able to keep the game within 21 points. If I recall correctly Miami's opponent was something like a 12 point underdog.

Seems to me that the best team ever should have had no trouble dispensing with a 12 point underdog who had no business being there in the first place. Bad call or not, by all ESPN accounts before that game Miami should have never been in a position to let that call matter. To hear the "experts" talk it was going to be The Canes by at least 20. Shows you what ESPN knows.

I like USC but it wouldn't break my heart to see them lose to ASU or Notre Dame or whoever just so ESPN will shut the hell up and go looking for the next "greatest team ever." :D

BB52Big.jpg

The thing that bugs me about this choice is that we all know who is gonna win the USC-ASU game. The Alabama-Florida game could go either way. And since when does Gameday ever turn down a chance to go to the Quad?

I guess with all this bias, I guess Lienhart will get "comeback" player of the year. And heck, let's give Pete Carrol the coach of the year, over who should be the winner - Vandy's coach. Am I bitter? Heck yeah I am. :D

well even if USC does win, you already know that this is going to be one hell of a game. It's probably going to go back and forth, and I for one say hell yeah bring it to Tempe, at least we know how to throw a party.

I remember a few years ago (it had to be 5 or so) when Illinois and Michigan had a HUGE game at memorial stadium. It was moved to night for ESPN, and they had huge fireworks and everything. I wanna say this was 2001 (Illinois' sugar bowl year) and everyone thought the Gameday crew would make their way to Champaign as I think this was the last time Illinois was ranked.

Long story short, they ended up somewhere downsouth, A-Train's knee was not down, Illinois lost, and I was sad about everything.

If they had gone to Alabama instead, half of you would be whining about east coast bias and how the PAC-10 never gets the respect it deserves.

You used to hold me

Tell me that I was the best

Anything in this world I want

I could posses

All that made me want

Was all that I can get

In order to survive

Gotta learn to live with regrets

-President Carter

And I just want to add that I'll be realy pissed if GameDay isn't in Nashville for LSU/Vandy next week...

Still sticking to this after last night's performance?

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Maybe the Gameday crew isn't going to the Florida/Alabama game because, just like Notre Dame, Bama is overrated every ... single ... year. <_<

And just for the hell of it, here my prediction. Florida wins in a rout, 45-17.

6uXNWAo.png

Archived