What causes teams to change?

Delux247

Is it a 'clean slate' idea for rebuilding a dynasty after significant players are gone (like if the Bulls changed after MJ left for good)? Do they change just to sell more merchandise (like if the LA Clipps overhauled)? What are the main reasons?

$, $, and $.

Pretty much.

Think about baseball's alt caps, jerseys, bp caps, bp jerseys. It's all so we'll buy even more. I have a Twins home, road and home alt jersey. That's one more than I'd have had before this era.

When a team is not selling merchandise well and they think that their look is partly to blame, they'll put out something new.

Add ownership changes to the list of reasons that uniforms change.

The Buccaneers ditched Bucco Bruce for the pewter look, and now they act as if it never existed. They were perennial losers in the creamsicles, so who can blame them?

The Sixers switched to their current scheme when Pat Croce was put in charge of the team upon Comcast acquiring control of the franchise. Pat has a fascination with pirates. It was his wonderful idea to infuse black into the Sixers' color scheme. Pat's long gone, but the black has stuck.

In colleges, it's often the coach wanting to put his own stamp on the program. Dave McClain changed Wisconsin from an oval W to a block W; Don Morton put them in unis with Bucky on the sleeve; Barry Alvarez introduced the Motion W.

The influx of new ballparks has led to a lot of the baseball changes, such as Milwaukee, Philadelphia and San Diego.

And in recent years, don't forget the influence of Nike, especially, and adidas in trying to introduce their own looks into the uniform game.

The influx of new ballparks has led to a lot of the baseball changes, such as Milwaukee, Philadelphia and San Diego.

Calling for a fact check here, doctor to doctor.

The Phillies haven't changed their uniforms since 1993, over a decade before they left the Vet. And the present uniforms are essentially an update of the "Whiz Kids" uniforms of the '50s and '60s, before the Vet.

The simple answer is found at the intersection of Merchandising and Ego. Focus groups throw tradition to the wind to "infuse" attitude with hip new colors to sell more crap. This is especially damaging in college, but not much more condonable in the pros. The ego comes in mostly through new ownership. One case left unused was the Eagles changing with Jeffrey Lurie buying the team. Worse still, and like the Glazers in Tampa, Lurie doesn't market any throwback material in kelly green and silver, which were the colors of the Eagles I grew up with. Ditto the demise of Bucco Bruce and the Bucs' "Creamsicles".

It's not always money or ego. Superstition holds a big part of the reason teams change their identities.

When the Patriots were sold to Robert Kraft back in 1993 or 1994, he wanted a fresh start for the team (ok, maybe there's some ego thrown in). The red jersey/Pat Patriot era had produced two title game teams in 34 seasons. So in came Kraft, Parcells, Bledsoe, and Flying Elvis. The Patriots have hardly suffered through any losing seasons since. This was around the beginning of the mass commercialization of team logos, so it's not like there was a huge history of people around the country buying Patriots merchandise (with the exception of diehard Pats fans).

A lot of teams decide to return to uniforms of their past, to relive their past glory (NY Jets, SF Giants, Detroit Pistons, Cleveland Indians). Or at least to change identities to something less dated looking (Phillies, Astros, Brewers, NY Giants).

And then again, you have reasons with dumbfound the rest of us (Buffalo Bills, Cincinnati Bengals).

The Sixers switched to their current scheme when Pat Croce was put in charge of the team upon Comcast acquiring control of the franchise. Pat has a fascination with pirates. It was his wonderful idea to infuse black into the Sixers' color scheme. Pat's long gone, but the black has stuck.

The Sixers were all over the place with uniforms for a while. There was the block Sixers that dated back to Dr. J. Then there was that terrible wavy/stars Sixers for the Sean bradley era. Then a normalized, but "fancy" Sixers style for the Jerry Stackhouse/Allen Iverson era. Now, the ones with the star.

Some fun uniform karma: the Broncos never won the Super Bowl until they switched to the ( ) jerseys. The Rams haven't won a Super Bowl since they switched to the darker blue and gold.

Uniforms come and go for $$ reasons, but I think the color changes are the biggest deal any more. Ok, so it's not surprising for the Bucs to ditch that ugly orange (or even the D-Rays going to green and blue instead of purple and black), but how about the Sabres switch to black and red? I think it's good that they are returning to blue and gold.

Cue the Million Dollar Man's Song:

money, money, money, money, moneeeeey.

Everyone's gonna pay! *stuffs $100 down someone's throat*

Apparently the Angels changed uniforms to come out of dead last to win the World Series. Greatest moment of my life...ever. I broke a lamp jumping out of my seat when Kenny Lofton popped out to end the game

I undestand that logs/uni's get updated for marketing reasons, and the occasional "update" of an old logo/uni, I'm fine with that. If a cool updated new logo or re-branding gets me exited about my team, please do (i.e Los Angeles Kings). But I do think some teams can get a bit carried away with the alt logos (Hello NBA...I'm looking in your general direction!)

Uniform changes really aren't a new thing. I mean don't club teams in soccer change their look a little bit every season? Sometimes it's to change an era, but mostly it's just for money. In college it's usually b/c of the coach wanting to put a stamp on the team, but in the pros it's definitely money.

In MLB, there used to just be a home, road, and batting practice jersey all worn with game caps. Now there's an alternate, a batting practice cap, I think at one point the Marlins even had an ROAD BATTING jersey. After watching last nights Tenessee vs. LSU I do wish UT would bring back that thicker helmet stripe they had before.

4908230_7_2.jpg

vs.

Casey_Clausen.jpg

or

j_humorbug_ab510adad0.jpg

In colleges, it's often the coach wanting to put his own stamp on the program. Dave McClain changed Wisconsin from an oval W to a block W; Don Morton put them in unis with Bucky on the sleeve; Barry Alvarez introduced the Motion W.

Maybe that means in the new Bielema era, we can ditch the motion W? Do you think that Athletic Director Alvarez will let him do that? :D

I too am frustrated with some owners putting their stamp on the uniforms. The Chargers among them, without wanting to start another gripe session on this subject.

The Eagles do license some merchandise in kelly green, but not much:

http://www.distantreplays.com/distant/sear...freetext=eagles

After watching last nights Tenessee vs. LSU I do wish UT would bring back that thicker helmet stripe they had before.

Tennessee's helmet stripe change was supposed to only be for the first game of last season, when they wore the throwback uniforms with the white jerseys with orange shoulders (kind of like the Titans jerseys). The players liked the look so they adopted it for the rest of the season.

They went to the wide stripe back in the day when a university would get all their helmets from the same manufacturer. Tennessee went with Bike Air Power helmets (which are now made by Schutt) since they were located in Knoxville. The wide stripe works on a helmet without a center ridge on the shell like the Air Power helmet. Of course, these days most schools let players where whichever brand of helmet they want (at least either Schutt or Riddell). The wide Tennessee stripe didn't look very good folded over the center ridge on a standard (non-Revolution) Riddell helmet shell.

Of course, it appears to me that more and more college and high school players are wearing the Riddell Revolution helmet, so the old-school Riddell shell may eventually go the way of the suspension helmet and this may no longer be an issue in the future.

Actually, McClain introduced the W-Bucky (a Bucky Badger superimposed on an outline block W) jerseys in 1985, along with TV numbers. This was a year after the red pants made a return after a 30-year absence. Don Moron kept the jerseys, although he changed the numbers to a black outline because the originals were hard to read if worn over white T-shirts and pads.

I hope UW keeps the Motion W. I think it's really cool and they've been a successful program with it. Just switching to a block W would be really boring.

MotionWsmall.gifncaaridwis.jpg

After watching last nights Tenessee vs. LSU I do wish UT would bring back that thicker helmet stripe they had before.

Tennessee's helmet stripe change was supposed to only be for the first game of last season, when they wore the throwback uniforms with the white jerseys with orange shoulders (kind of like the Titans jerseys). The players liked the look so they adopted it for the rest of the season.

They went to the wide stripe back in the day when a university would get all their helmets from the same manufacturer. Tennessee went with Bike Air Power helmets (which are now made by Schutt) since they were located in Knoxville. The wide stripe works on a helmet without a center ridge on the shell like the Air Power helmet. Of course, these days most schools let players where whichever brand of helmet they want (at least either Schutt or Riddell). The wide Tennessee stripe didn't look very good folded over the center ridge on a standard (non-Revolution) Riddell helmet shell.

Of course, it appears to me that more and more college and high school players are wearing the Riddell Revolution helmet, so the old-school Riddell shell may eventually go the way of the suspension helmet and this may no longer be an issue in the future.

So does this mean the wide stripe will come back?

it kinda looks weird when the helmet is facing to the left side (like in my revolving avatar) but that's not THAT big of a deal. I rather like it and think it gives UW a real identity b/c it stands out. A high school down here even adopted it. Western High School now employs the motion W on their helmets!

Archived