New Uni watch

lowey

I'm with Lukas on this one. Striping, whether it's on helmets, sleeves, pants or socks, can be a distinguishing feature of a team's look. Look at how distinctive teams in the NHL make their socks. And these days, with sleeves on football jerseys going the way of the dodo, a stripe pattern on the socks would do a lot of good for a lot of teams.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

I agree with Lukas as well, but maybe I'm just showing my age. Striped socks that match the sleeve stripes-- man, what a great idea. It seems that's the kind of socks I always wore with my sneakers under my jeans growing up. The striped socks came from the store in packs of color combos, so one morning I could put on a blue-striped pair and think, "I'm wearing Colts colors today" or the next day put on a red and yellow striped pair and think, "hey, I'm a member of the Chiefs today".

(yes, the logo/colors thing goes way back)

I especially liked the old photo of Archie Manning wearing the old Saints stripes.

It is what it is.

The striped socks came from the store in packs of color combos, so one morning I could put on a blue-striped pair and think, "I'm wearing Colts colors today" or the next day put on a red and yellow striped pair and think, "hey, I'm a member of the Chiefs today".

(yes, the logo/colors thing goes way back)

You've got a few years on me, B-Rich, but I thought the same thing when I got those 6-packs of knee-length socks. They had all the weird combos - Houston Oilers, Miami Hurricanes. Tried to make them match up with my old matching adidas T-shirt/shorts combos (and they were short shorts).

God, now I am showing my age. <_<

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Since we're on the subject of socks I thought I'd just throw in something to potentially spice up the pot: With the Chargers using bolts on the helmet, jersey, and the pants how did this never translate to a bolt sock? I think they'd look pretty cool.

But that's just my $.02 :alien:

#CHOMPCHOMPCHOMP

Well, intricate designs like lightning bolts are hard to pull off on sock material. Think about the blocky, Atari-looking lettering on the knit hats (or toques, take your pick) with the pom-poms we all wore in grade school. Plus, what would you do with the end points of the bolt? Would the bolt stripe just not loop all the way around? It's got all the makings of a uniform logistical nightmare.

This also presents a fine opportunity for me to mention that the Chargers' blue pants and blue socks should never be allowed to be worn together ever again, because it screws up one of the best uni sets in all of football.

And no white-on-whites, either.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I totally agree that striped socks are the way to go.

I'm rather disappointed that our footy socks are solid navy, I was hoping for a nice striped pattern. Then again, pretty much everything about our footy kits has disappointed me.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

This has always botherd me. That is teams having the same color socks as pants. The culprits are as follows the Chargers aways, Titans aways, Cardinals when wearing the red pants and the Jaguars aways. Oh and I almost forgot the Falcons away black on black this past weekend. Solution: Chargers bring back the white sock with blue stripes you use to have. The Titans how about a columbia blue sock for the road uni. The Cardinals how about an updated version of the white socks with stripes you use to have. The Jaguars I don't know a teal sock maybe or create a white sock with a black stripe similar to what the Falcons use to have and would solve there little problem. Also the wearing of the low whites they mention in Uni Watch seems to becoming more and more popular among players and I just think it looks terrible I hope they star enforcing the uniform code like he was talking about. The white sock should have to come up close to the mid point of the leg just under the calf.

In last Sunday's game my Browns finally dressed like the Browns. The uniforms the Browns wore against the Colts are perfect, given modern jersey construction. Now all they've got to do is make the striping on the brown jersey correct (no feathering) and add the stripes to the brown socks.

The Browns uniform, when worn properly, is as untouchble as the Yankee pinstripes. And I don't want to hear it from you "Browns-should-be-in-colored-pants" guys, either. Nuf ced!

:rolleyes:

Archived