Form fitting hockey, sooner than you think...

ColeJ

lundqvist_52628.jpg

What.

The.

Fluff.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

i kinda like the idea of the goalie jersey being different than the rest of the team. i admit, im not a huge hocket fan and i do understand tradition, but this could be cool. like soccer keepers, but with more potential. as creative as goalies get with masks, it could be neat. maybe a secondary color, or a primary when teams wear alternates. you folks on this site should love this idea. think of all the concepts...get to work!!!

-vomits-

nope... i don't love the idea :)

different colored keep kits make sense in soccer. the difference between a highlighter-yellow arm punching the ball out of bounds, and a regular red or blue arm punching the ball out of bounds is huge. only one of them allowed to put a hand to the ball. if keepers and defenders wore the same shirts, it would be much harder to enforce that rule.

now if you look at marty turco and stephane robidas in uniform, and you have trouble figuring out which one is the goalie... then i'm not sure a new goaltender kit is going to help you.

let's compare the situations, shall we?

soccer goalkeeper: basically the only difference aside from the kit is that he wears gloves that make his hands look big...keepers can choose whether they'd like to wear shorts or pants, and can also choose to wear a baseball cap. the vast majority of keepers wear long sleeved shirts, with Jorge Campos a notable exception who favored short sleeves.

basically, as cole stated, the keepers wearing different colored shirts makes it easier for everybody watching, mainly the ref cus there's no obvious gear a keeper uses that would distinguish him from his outfield teammates if he wore the same kit.

now, hockey goaltender: different equipment makes the goalie easy to spot without needing a different-colored jersey like his soccer cousin. goalies generally wear masks or caged helmets as opposed to skaters' regular helmets...goalies use more obvious padding than skaters for obvious reasons (i.e. blocker, catching glove and leg pads as opposed to only padded gloves)...and they use different sticks that are akin to the child of a skater's stick and a cricket bat. basically, if you can't immediately tell who's the goalie, you may as well get that Hockey for Dummies book.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

hockey goaltender: different equipment makes the goalie easy to spot without needing a different-colored jersey like his soccer cousin. goalies generally wear masks or caged helmets as opposed to skaters' regular helmets...goalies use more obvious padding than skaters for obvious reasons (i.e. blocker, catching glove and leg pads as opposed to only padded gloves)...and they use different sticks that are akin to the child of a skater's stick and a cricket bat. basically, if you can't immediately tell who's the goalie, you may as well get that Hockey for Dummies book.

Goalies also tend to hang out in the freakin' goaltender's crease

argh

UNIform

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

whoah. im glad everybody took the time to point all that sh** out. so, lemme get this straight....the puffy guy in the goal is the goalie?? i wouldnt think id have to make it anymore clear, but here.....its an idea. for fun. if you really want to get all uptight, i'll let you tee off on this idea....pull the goalie all together. make smaller goals. have games end with 26-19 scores. you want some fans, hockey? theres your answer. play more defense, score more goals.

Yo grubstreet -- no one is mad at you. People here are just having a friendly debate and you interpret it as a personal attack. Just chill out. If you think that goalies should have different jerseys than players, that's cool. Just because not everyone agrees with you doesn't mean they are trashing you.

Put me down for the goalies wearing tighter jerseys, but in the normal team striping. If the goalies all come out in the same practice jersey on opening night, someone better the hell be fired.

On Live from Wayne Gretzky's, Kris King, who now works for the NHL, said the reason why the designs for the goalie jerseys have looked different is because the new jerseys have different materials. Reebok had some problems with trying to properly create the colours on these new materials (problems with the dye). He specifically mentioned that they have had problems create Phoenix's colour (hence their goalie would wear black), while teams with blue have different shades.

My bet is that they will trim the jerseys, but will keep the same design, provided RBK can figure out how to create it.

Juventus.png

One reason I don't like this idea is because a person who wants to buy a replica jersey to eventually put his favorite player's name and number on could not apply to the goaltender. If they wanted a replica goaltender jersey, they'd have to buy a new different jersey.

Another reason this is a bad idea is because during the championship team's centre ice picture with the Stanley Cup at the end of the year, the two or three goaltenders would stick out like sore thumbs wearing different jerseys.

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

I am open to new ideas as long as they're in good taste/fashion/functionality, but this is ri-goshdarn-diculous. Horrible idea on the part of Reebok and the NHL.

With that being said...I do like the new Reebok jerseys, I tried on a replica Providence Bruins Reebok jersey today at the ProShop and I was impressed by the quality.

I come back to hockey, hockey comes back to me, and then I get b*tch-slapped with this new goalie jersey crap. So much for a new Raycroft jersey (unless I'm totally impressed by the design).

Yo grubstreet -- no one is mad at you. People here are just having a friendly debate and you interpret it as a personal attack. Just chill out. If you think that goalies should have different jerseys than players, that's cool. Just because not everyone agrees with you doesn't mean they are trashing you.

for crying out loud, i dont think they should have different shirts. i dont think they need different shirts. it was just a comment. an idea. a hope that it would get people on this board to toy with the idea to make concepts, which many are very good at. christ.

for crying out loud, i dont think they should have different shirts. i dont think they need different shirts. it was just a comment. an idea. a hope that it would get people on this board to toy with the idea to make concepts, which many are very good at. christ.

Do you need a hug?

I think this one slipped by...

John Grahame versus the Florida Panthers on October 2:

Isn't that just the new practice jersey?

It looks like it. According to the St. Petersburg Times he wore it during the game:

The NHL is considering having goalies wear a slightly different jersey than the rest of the team, like soccer goalies do. It isn't known if the jerseys will be ready for the regular season, but Lightning goalie John Grahame wore a different jersey Sunday.

0I3kSAc.png

We are wolves • Under the moon

Looks like arse.

Please, NHL, stop this horrid idea now. Letting Reebok redesign the majority of the league come next year is threatening enough.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

tighter jerseys will be a bad idea, being a goalie myself if the jersey is too tight you can't move, giving an unfair advantage.

I'm assuming that the material will be plenty stretchy, so movement shouldn't be at all restrictive.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived