Yankees set AL attendance record

jkrdevil

Nobodies hating on the Yankees per say, really just pointing out how this shouldn't be viewed as that big of an accomplishment. Everything was set up for it to happen, and there's other equal feats out there considering the circumstances.

Yanks (and there fans) are always looking to brag, so why shouldn't everyone else be ready to bring 'em back down to earth.

Aren't fans of all teams always looking to brag? It's just that historically, the Yankees and their fans have had more opportunities to do so. It's not Steinbrenner's fault or any of the Yankee fans' fault that the team and our city happen to be in the most populated area of the United States.

A lot of the Yankees' bad rap comes simply from the fact that they play in New York. People on this board who are so sports savvy should understand that population size does not equate to easy ticket sales. Phoenix is the fifth largest city in the country and can't get anyone out to their games. Meanwhile Green Bay, the NFL's smallest market, has a waiting list for tickets that's 30 years long. You can't just say that because there are people around that they should want to buy baseball tickets.

Why not also look at another attendance figure: how many fans the Yankees draw when they're the visiting team. In addition to bringing in 6,000 more fans to their home games than any other team (including the LA Dodgers in second place), the Yankees also have the opportunity this weekend to bring more fans to their ROAD games than anyone else. They currently trail Boston in that category by 700 fans per game, a stat sure to change as the two teams play their season finale in Boston this weekend.

I think finishing first in both home and road attendace is no small feat for a team that let down its fans by choking in the playoffs last year. Assuming the Yankees DON'T finish first in road attendance, finishing second to the World Series champs by 700 fans per game is nothing to be ashamed about. Running a team in New York is not like playing on easy mode, remember that.

sticksstones4.png

The world's foremost practitioners of professional tag-team wrestling.

Nobodies hating on the Yankees per say, really just pointing out how this shouldn't be viewed as that big of an accomplishment. Everything was set up for it to happen, and there's other equal feats out there considering the circumstances.

Yanks (and there fans) are always looking to brag, so why shouldn't everyone else be ready to bring 'em back down to earth.

Aren't fans of all teams always looking to brag? It's just that historically, the Yankees and their fans have had more opportunities to do so. It's not Steinbrenner's fault or any of the Yankee fans' fault that the team and our city happen to be in the most populated area of the United States.

A lot of the Yankees' bad rap comes simply from the fact that they play in New York. People on this board who are so sports savvy should understand that population size does not equate to easy ticket sales. Phoenix is the fifth largest city in the country and can't get anyone out to their games. Meanwhile Green Bay, the NFL's smallest market, has a waiting list for tickets that's 30 years long. You can't just say that because there are people around that they should want to buy baseball tickets.

Why not also look at another attendance figure: how many fans the Yankees draw when they're the visiting team. In addition to bringing in 6,000 more fans to their home games than any other team (including the LA Dodgers in second place), the Yankees also have the opportunity this weekend to bring more fans to their ROAD games than anyone else. They currently trail Boston in that category by 700 fans per game, a stat sure to change as the two teams play their season finale in Boston this weekend.

I think finishing first in both home and road attendace is no small feat for a team that let down its fans by choking in the playoffs last year. Assuming the Yankees DON'T finish first in road attendance, finishing second to the World Series champs by 700 fans per game is nothing to be ashamed about. Running a team in New York is not like playing on easy mode, remember that.

He's exactly right.

Absolutely nothing he said in this post can be disproved.

That people is how you argue a case.

The Yankees still suck though.

YES! This proves that no matter how, in peoples view, good or bad the Yankees do, you can count on myself and all of the great New Yorkers to sell out the greatest stadium in baseball every single time.

I gotta disagree with you on this. Even though I'm a proud NYer, we are a pretty fickle bunch when it comes to our sports teams. Look at how the Mets were NY's team in the 80's, but the Yankees were in the 90's. The great thing about being a NY team though is that there are tons of people in the area. NY is over twice the size of the next biggest city. No other city in the US can compete with it and if you put a half decent squad out there (like the Mets this year), you will still get satisfactory attendence. Put a great one out there, are you will be on top of the attendance list.

While I'm not against the Yankees building a new stadium, I think they are off on making its capacity smaller. In other cities, it makes sense; with lower demand, in order to sell higher priced tickets you gotta also lower the supply of seats...basic stuff. But with NY, you are almost guaranteed a sell out or near sell for several dozen games a year (the first couple of games, the first couple of weekend games, Mets games, Red Sox games etc.). Plus even with extra cheap seats available, there are tons of rich people willing to pay big bucks for the expensive ones on the field level. So there is no reason to reduce the number of seats available unless Steinbrenner is planning to raise ticket prices to levels never seen before in baseball (and sadly this may happen).

Yeah Mets drew 3 Million in 1987 and 1988, and Yankee Stadium was a ghost town.

Yea, it was such a ghost town that they ranked 3rd and 2nd in the American League in attendance those years. Both years drawing about 2.5 million people.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/NYY/1987.shtml

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/NYY/1988.shtml

With the New Yankee Stadium, it will be smaller intead of hold 55,000 it will hold 50,000. So it not by much and it will be much bigger than most of the newer parks.

Hmm I dont remeber them drawing that well then I remeber allot of empty seats the upper deck as empty the bleachers were full in RF but not in left.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Archived