Cleveland Police

andrewharrington

This is a project I'm working on for my dad, and it's taking forever! He keeps sending me back to the drawing board because he wants more detail, more this, more that! I realize the color palette is huge, and this is probably more detail than I will ever put into a logo as long as I live. (Each feather is a seperate path that will be individually embroidered, creating textural depth and detail in addition to all the bells and whistles I've already added.)

With that said, I think this latest incarnation looks pretty nice, considering the direction I was given, and the stubbornness of both the designer and the client. :P How are you all enjoying this? Would you be proud to wear this embroidered on your hat or shoulder?

swat.gif

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

There is something about the head being at that angle that rubs me the wrong way. Combined with thick line like that and it looks almost as if it is floating. Maybe thin that line up and change the angle of the head a lil.

I agree that there is too many colors, but if your Dad is on the SWAT team, its wise to listen to him lol.

There is something weird about the neck, almost looks like it's just hanging down. It might be the angle of the wings. I don't know if you have been looking at Boston College's eagle logo as reference, but you can see how the neck should be angled out a little more. Either that, or make the angle of the wings more vertical.

interlock640x480.jpg

I think proportionally, the head needs to be smaller and the wings bigger (not a bigger wingspan, but taller from top to bottom).

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

I agree with the angle of the neck. It looks too extreme considering the rest of the body. Also, the area where the body and neck intersect should be jagged.

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

He wanted me to model it after an eagle that is facing forward, the NTOA eagle. Problem is, that logo is Generic Bird of Prey X. It has no distinguishing characteristics of an eagle, so I gave it some. I made the head a little more of a side view and faced the body a little to the right as well. That's why the head is set strange. Turn your head to the left, but move your eyes to the right to look the same direction your body is facing, as if you were trying to look sexy for your senior pictures in high school. That's the look it seems to have. I'm going to try to extend the neck out like the BC eagle to see if that'll fix'er.

ntoalogo.jpg

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Make more visible the lightning.

When I saw it, at first I thought that it was a kind of rifle (the color doesn't contribute to identify the lightning).

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

Swiss, I originally made the lightning gold, but it then got lost in the feet and beak, since they are gold as well. It was hard to see and very undefined. The lettering will be red when this is embroidered on black, so I'm hoping he red and gold will separate and define themselves better. The lightning is there as a nod to the original Cleveland SWAT logo, which was an eagle clutchin a bolt of lightning. That's what my dad wants to return to. Anyway, here is take two, with an actual neck, and a feather pattern on the body. I like it much better. Thanks for your help guys. Keep it coming.

swat2.gif

Here are some other SWAT logos, for comparison. Funny how most of them include an eagle an/or lightning. :P

SW_WA_SWAT_Logo.gifSWATLogo.giflogo318.gifkcmetro1.jpgcalifornia_los_angeles_police_swat_eagle.jpgswat%20logo_165x168.jpg

I would consider rotating each letter independently rather than using the photoshop textwarp tool which it seems you used. I know it's a bit annoying, and it's harder than it ought to be to make it look right, but hey, you wanted advice ^_^

Every Fifth Day is a

HappyFelixDay.gif

Oh, yeah. Actually, I'm using Illustrator. You just type on an arc path; you don't have to rotate each letter. I just warped it here to do it quickly. The final version will have non-distorted text.

Tempest,

Nice logo. Interesting I did a SWAT logo for tri-city team about 10 years ago. You can see it on their bus, on the bottom of their page via this link...

..http://www.ci.lynnwood.wa.us/police/LPDContent/Divisions/SWAT.asp...

Mine was one color, more a line drawing, because they wanted it to feel more like a camo feel. This was long before I got into the p.c. world and it was a hand drawing and done the old fashion way. I have t-shirt at home that makes it look better, I should take pic of that to post since the above photo is not real clear.

I would try having the eagle's body moving down towards the head, it might take away that bent look. Plus I think the wings are to small. You need to make them twice as large as the body, to make it feel like the bird can get lift.

"Try not to have a good time ... This is supposed to be educational."

- Charles Schulz

viks.jpg

The more I look at the latest rendition, the more it seems the wings are too low where they join the torso. I think the shoulder blade would be higher up towards the crown of the eagle's back (again, look at the BC logo for reference. The wings are huge?another person's suggestion?and they almost meet the eagle's head at the base of its neck).

If you look at the reference patch you were working from, you can see that the wings don't look that deep due to foreshortening. That eagle is rendered much more head-on, not the 3/4 angle that yours is. So while the wings would not be that deep on the head-on angle, they'd be a lot taller (top to bottom, not tip to shoulder) and you would see much more of the feathers in the 3/4 version.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Swiss, I originally made the lightning gold, but it then got lost in the feet and beak, since they are gold as well. It was hard to see and very undefined. The lettering will be red when this is embroidered on black, so I'm hoping he red and gold will separate and define themselves better. The lightning is there as a nod to the original Cleveland SWAT logo, which was an eagle clutchin a bolt of lightning. That's what my dad wants to return to. Anyway, here is take two, with an actual neck, and a feather pattern on the body. I like it much better. Thanks for your help guys. Keep it coming.

OK, buddy, I understand. But, can't you make a bit more wide the lightning? Keep the red color of it.

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

OK, buddy, I understand. But, can't you make a bit more wide the lightning? Keep the red color of it.

Yes I agree that the lightening bolt has a weak presence...which is something you probably wants to bring out. I guess because two of the angles are hidden behind the feet, you really can't make out the bolt at the first glance.

I think a definite improvement was made on the neck situation.

I dunno. I don't really want the lightning to "stand out" so to speak, but when people see it, I want them to be abe to say, "Oh yeah, there's some lightning." I really just want this eagle to be absolutely stunning and full of precision, depth, and aggression. I know I'm going to be let down, though, because the only stunning embroidery I've ever seen is on an MLB hat, and I'm pretty sure the Cleveland SWAT Unit can't shell out that kind of green for embroidery. I think my expectations for this project are too high.

tempest,

embroidery work and its quality, like anything is who you get to do it. plus it is not really that expensive. I had some work done for my baseball team this year, our pull overs came out better then our hats, but I think that is because of size issues. Detailing a logo gets tough was it gets smaller in size.

personally i think you just need to improve the wing size so the eagle does not look flat or unimpressive. right now it looks to me like a gargolye to me. just my perspective.

one of the things i discussed on mine, was a full bird landing on the half compass rose, but one talon extended towards the viewer. You might consider just having on talon on the bolt and the other reaching towards the viewer or the bolt, or even have it has a background element.

I think it is good but has huge potential....

fyi- if you want a reference for the embroidery work and they don't care about it being out of state, let me know.

"Try not to have a good time ... This is supposed to be educational."

- Charles Schulz

viks.jpg

Looks good, but I'd consider moving the right-most leg back behind the left a little (to emphasise the "from the side" aspect. Looks a bit twisted at the "hips" at the moment to my eye.

I think you could potentially make the bolt wider and not affect the image.

The colour it's in looks like a stick to me.

Dragons.gifPreds.gifTitans.gifSonics.gif

Crests.gif

Archived