2000 Astros Question

Sodboy13

So the other day, I went rummaging through the pletohra of media guides at work, and found the 2000 Houston Astros guide. In their description of the teams uniforms, specific mention is made of two different pinstriped home jerseys. One has a slight graphite drop shadow on the Astros script, while the other does not. The guide explains that one set was for use during day games, and the other for use at night. Watching the Cubs-Astros game tonight, it appeared that the drop shadow was on the script (at least from a low-res 13" monitor.) So, does anyone know if the Astros actually went through with this astoundingly asinine idea? I mean, we've seen players accidentally mixing up the "Houston" and "Astros" brick alts on the field. I can't imagine it coming down to "Okay boys, make sure you're wearing your drop-shadowed shirts today" in the locker room.

I remember seeing an old friend from middle school at the mall a few years ago, this was around the time the Astros changed to the current crap. He was more or less how I found out Houston had changed the uniform, as he was wearing the home replica...his had that graphite dropshadow you speak of, which I found odd at the time and still do.

That's just crazy - yeah, why would they do that? The Style Guide only lists one home pinstriped jersey. Here are examples of both the official White home jersey, and the alternate plain White jersey:

HoustonAstros_HWM_2006.jpg

HoustonAstros_AWM_2006.jpg

The dropshadow is officially called "Houston Astros Gray", and it IS a different shade of Gray than their road uniforms...

Archived