Southern Cal Football

Cujo

After watching USC comeback on ASU after not even trying in the first half, I am now convinced that the Trojans are the greatest college team, at least of my time, if not ever. They have so many weapons, and it's as if the Trojans can score at will, whenever they want, and they do it with such ease and calmness. You saw how they toyed with ASU in the second half. That was just ill!

Contrary to what Jim Rome believes, I think USC could beat a team like the Cardinals or 49ers.

6uXNWAo.png

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I watched the 2nd half of that game and I was just blown away how easy it looked for USC to run against the Sun Devils, Keller played a great game and the deflected pass that was intercepted with 3 minutes to go should've been caught, and who knows, if it was caught maybe the Sun Devils woulda took the lead, or at the very least tie the game.

Either way the Trojans were gonna win this game.

After watching USC comeback on ASU after not even trying in the first half, I am now convinced that the Trojans are the greatest college team, at least of my time, if not ever. They have so many weapons, and it's as if the Trojans can score at will, whenever they want, and they do it with such ease and calmness. You saw how they toyed with ASU in the second half. That was just ill!

Contrary to what Jim Rome believes, I think USC could beat a team like the Cardinals or 49ers.

Did you put any thought into that? First off USC may be one of the best college football teams of recent years. But only time will tell as the season goes on.

But to think they could beat an NFL team is just dumb. There is a reason why players, especially qb's struggle when they get to the NFL. It's because the NFL is so much better than college. Just look at all the Heisman busts there have been. The NFL is made up of all-stars of the college all-stars. Are you still going to think that USC can beat the Cardinals next year when Leinart is warming the bench or he is throwing a ton of picks. Sure their offense has a ton of NFL prospects however that is what they are, prospects. Yea, they look amazing when going up against CB?s who aren't even going to make NFL practice squads. I don't even think USC would beat the Cardinals practice squad, to even think they could beat the first sting Cards is ridiculous. Even, USC's coach couldn't cut it in the NFL.

I'm not sold on USC, the fact that they don't show up in the first half is troubling and will catch up to them. The are definitely not the best College team ever remember there was a time you couldn't leave early so teams had roster full of seniors.

Just a sidenote to that game.

if i didn't know any tetter, I would think ASU WR Haggans was on the take when he "tippped", err...TOSSED, the ball to that USC defender for the interception.

10 balls for 162 yards made me re-think it.

ANyone think of that when they saw it?

staffordsigbuffda6.jpg

Owner of

Kalamazoo Tech Kobras (Nat'l College Fant. Assc. Basketball, Football, and Hockey)

2006-07 NCFAB National Champions

2006 NCFAF Midwest Conf. Champions

Rochester Patriots (Major League Hockey - AHL Fantasy League) 2005-06 Neilson Cup Champs

Detroit Black Panthers (Xtreme Hockey League) 2005-06 Yzerman Conference Champs

Sheldon Motorsports (TRAC) - #20 Guinness Chevy & #21 UPS Chevy #44 Syracuse University Chevy

Commissioner of

MLH (Major League Hockey, an AHL Fantasy League)

TRAC (Team Racing Auto Circuit, NASCAR)

if i didn't know any tetter, I would think ASU WR Haggans was on the take when he "tippped", err...TOSSED, the ball to that USC defender for the interception.

That was my first thought. I really doubt he was trying to do that but man it sure looked like it. :D

BB52Big.jpg

Make room for another seat on the USC bandwagon...But come on man, "after not even trying in the first half" that i the dumbest statement I have ever heard...You honestly believe that USC would 'not try' for a half? What would be the purpose of that? I am a die-hard ASU fan and will not talk about how ASU should of won that game BUT blah blah blah, but dont make yourself look dumb by making statements like that...I was at the game today and I will tell ya USC (or at least the second half team I saw) was the best team I have EVER seen...They are truly amazing to watch, but dont think that the first half was all USC screwing up and had nothing to do with how good ASU actually is...I mean if someone would of told me before the game that Keller would have 5 INT and ASU would only lose by 10 I would of called you crazy...I just cant wait untill either USC loses this year or untill next year when all of these USC bandwagon fans will have to buy a new jersey for the top team of the moment...USC is king of the moutain right now, but I assure you they will not be there for ever...GO DEVILS!!!

PopHeading-1.gif

Oh, and to comment on a few other things...

Yea when I saw that Hagan tip me, with the rest of the 20,000 students I was sitting (standing actually) with had the exact same look on their face...The way the ball came out of his hands made it really look like he purposefully did it, haha and the look on Keller's face was priceless, but I assure you Hagan did not do this on purpose...Hagan said in the media this week that he is a "USC hater" and that he hates them because they did not give him a scholarship...

Also, I think that if USC and the 49'ers or Cardinals played 10 times USC MIGHT win one...but there is NO way they would easily beat a professional team...Dont get me wrong, USC has some of the most incredible players in recent years, but the thing that people forget is that every NFL team (yes even the Cardinals) is made up of the best of the best NCAA players. Also, on the professional level there are a lot of differences (ie speed, strength, coaching, depth).

PopHeading-1.gif

I never think a great college team could beat a pro team for the following reason:

Typically a good college team may have like 5 to 10 players that make the NFL. Every player on the worst NFL team made the NFL.

But if my VIkings were lining up against this USC team, I think I'd be nervous.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I agree, however I think USC is an exception to that rule...I would say that 9-all of the starters for USC will go pro, however there is a difference between going pro and being good in pro...there has been many players that were awesome in college but turn out being either benchwarmers for their career or released all together...Also, I think a BIG factor that would come into play if USC was to go against a NFL team is USC's defense...USC's D is ok, but not a great one and I think a NFL team would exploit their weaknesses and just kill them in it...however I do think that USC offensive would put some points up on the board too.

PopHeading-1.gif

After watching USC comeback on ASU after not even trying in the first half, I am now convinced that the Trojans are the greatest college team, at least of my time, if not ever.  They have so many weapons, and it's as if the Trojans can score at will, whenever they want, and they do it with such ease and calmness.  You saw how they toyed with ASU in the second half.  That was just ill!

Make room for another seat on the USC bandwagon...But come on man, "after not even trying in the first half" that i the dumbest statement I have ever heard...You honestly believe that USC would 'not try' for a half? What would be the purpose of that? I am a die-hard ASU fan and will not talk about how ASU should of won that game BUT blah blah blah, but dont make yourself look dumb by making statements like that...I was at the game today and I will tell ya USC (or at least the second half team I saw) was the best team I have EVER seen...They are truly amazing to watch, but dont think that the first half was all USC screwing up and had nothing to do with how good ASU actually is

What I meant by "they didn't even try in the first half" was that they came out very flat, getting ticky-tack penalties called on them, and it looked as if they weren't trying, when of course I know teams don't just go out there and lay down for an opponent, especially when they're the #1 team in the land. But they just make it look so easy. You knew when it was 21-3 at the half, the Trojans would still win.

6uXNWAo.png

USC, while not the best team ever, may be the most talented ever. But there isn't a snowball's chance in hell they could beat the 49ers, Browns, Cardinals, or any other bottom of the barrell NFL team! Their "skill" people should all be pros at some point, but they aren't all NFL starters. On top of that, the game is won and lost in the trenches. How in the hell could USC's o-line stop a pro d-line? I think the only question you could ask is could the USC offense score on an NFL defense. I think they could get one, but it would have to be a big play situation.

BTW: Curty, I feel you on the "not even trying" thing. Not trying to take ANYTHING away from ASU, they played their asses off, but after that Oregon game last week, the LAST thing I expected to see was USC come out lethargic. It's like they expected to win just by showing up. I was disappointed in their effort. ASU is a good team, but USC is much better and should have played much better in that first half.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

USC, while not the best team ever, may be the most talented ever.  But there isn't a snowball's chance in hell they could beat the 49ers, Browns, Cardinals, or any other bottom of the barrell NFL team!  Their "skill" people should all be pros at some point, but they aren't all NFL starters.  On top of that, the game is won and lost in the trenches.  How in the hell could USC's o-line stop a pro d-line?  I think the only question you could ask is could the USC offense score on an NFL defense.  I think they could get one, but it would have to be a big play situation.

If you think about it, compared to most college teams, the Trojans run a very efficient pro-style offense and have multiple players that could no doubt be starting in the NFL today. Leinart and Bush come to mind right away. Pete Carroll is not only the best college coach today, he is also a former NFL head coach, so he knows the ropes. Another thing you've got to consider is the talent in the NFL today isn't quite what it was in years past with the recent expansion of Jacksonville, Carolina, Cleveland, and Houston. The Trojans also have chemestry on their side, as a team like the Browns are always swapping out players and coaches year after year.

Maybe I got a little too caught up in the moment yesterday after So Cal toyed with ASU in the 2nd half, so I take back that USC would flat out beat a team like the Cards or Niners, but the Trojans could definitely compete with any bottom of the barrell NFL team.

6uXNWAo.png

yup. Sneaky Pete's at it again :P

BTW, as the fan on Rome is Burning said, I think the 2001 Miami Hurricanes are leaps and bounds better than this team. They had pro standouts such as Ed Reed, Andre Johnson, McGahee & Portis, Bryant McKinnie, Vilma, Wilfork, and countless others who are starting or getting significant time in the league. News flash, but Reggie Bush wont even be a first round draft pick. He doesnt have a position in the pros, and will probably end up like Brandon Mitchell, a #3 RB who's pretty much there exclusively to return kicks

oubrutus.jpg

2qi7psy.gif

when you're replacing an old Carr, you need more than Les Miles

BTW, as the fan on Rome is Burning said, I think the 2001 Miami Hurricanes are leaps and bounds better than this team.  They had pro standouts such as Ed Reed, Andre Johnson, McGahee & Portis, Bryant McKinnie, Vilma, Wilfork, and countless others who are starting or getting significant time in the league.

Half the players you just named weren't even fully developed as players yet. I'm sure there are redshirts and freshmen currently on the USC bench that I'll be able to name off five years from now as great players from the 2005 Trojans too, but it's not like they were really a part of it. Also, Matt Leinart should have been a pro this year, and is by far the best colligate player in the country. Better than any player from that Miami team. And if the 2001 'Canes were so much better than USC, why did they only win one national championship??

6uXNWAo.png

BTW, as the fan on Rome is Burning said, I think the 2001 Miami Hurricanes are leaps and bounds better than this team.  They had pro standouts such as Ed Reed, Andre Johnson, McGahee & Portis, Bryant McKinnie, Vilma, Wilfork, and countless others who are starting or getting significant time in the league.  News flash, but Reggie Bush wont even be a first round draft pick.  He doesnt have a position in the pros, and will probably end up like Brandon Mitchell, a #3 RB who's pretty much there exclusively to return kicks

Mel Kiper, Jr. has Bush as a top 5-10 pick if he comes out early.

Miami had Ken Dorsey as their starting QB...how's he worked out in the NFL. You diss Bush as a pro prospect, but what the fluff has Dorsey done?

Curty, the game is won in the trenches, man. The worst NFL D-line would dominate USC upfront. No matter how good Leinart, Bush, Jarrett, White, and Co. are, if they can't get time to throw or holes in which to run, they can't compete. How in the hell could USC score on your Jets or the Packers?

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

• 2 weeks later...

I am going to revisit this thread because if USC is as great as I know they can be, they will comeback on Notre Dame and defeat the Irish, as they are currently down 21-14 at the half.

Go Trojans!

6uXNWAo.png

I am going to revisit this thread because if USC is as great as I know they can be, they will comeback on Notre Dame and defeat the Irish, as they are currently down 21-14 at the half.

Go Trojans!

Still think they could be a pro team?

Go Trojans!

Still think they could be a pro team?

Be a pro team or beat a pro team??

I still think they could compete with (and possibly defeat) a team like San Francisco or Arizona, and you can throw Houston into the mix cause they look like plop this year.

It also looks like USC may have flipped the second half switch, again. It's all of a sudden tied, 21-21.

6uXNWAo.png

Archived