Southern Cal Football

Cujo

Alot goes towards opponents. Notre Dame has a killer schedule every single year, while these other schools have cupcake games before their conference schedules, and even then some of those games are garbage.

Notre Dame gets the respect from the voters because they play top level teams from day 1.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Notre Dame should not have let USC go down the field with ease. Notre Dame lost the game not the refs.

Agreed. That 61 yard gain on the 4th & 6 was the deciding moment. After that play, you just felt USC winning the game...

sB9ijEj.png

How are the Irish overrated you ask??

The following Top 25 teams (in bold) have records either equal to or better than Notre Dame.

1. University of Southern California (6-0)

2. Texas (6-0)

3. Virginia Tech (6-0)

4. Georgia (6-0)

5. Alabama (6-0)

6. Miami (FL) (5-1)

7. LSU (4-1)

8. UCLA (6-0)

9. Notre Dame (4-2)

10. Texas Tech (6-0)

11. Florida State (5-1)

12. Penn State (6-1)

13. Boston College (6-1)

14. Ohio State (4-2)

15. Oregon (6-1)

16. Auburn (5-1)

17. Tennessee (3-2)

18. Florida (5-2)

19. Wisconsin (6-1)

20. West Virginia (6-1)

21. TCU (6-1)

22. Michigan State (4-2)

23. Virginia (4-2)

24. Fresno State (4-1)

25. California (5-2)

If they weren't "Notre Dame", they'd be with all the other 4-2 teams, NOT in the Top 10.

None of the other "teams with equal records" took the 'greatest of all-time' down to the final 7 seconds... and should've won.

Referees didn't blow a call, you say? then what was Reggie Bush talking about when he said, "I just shoved him in there as hard as I could"

IUe6Hvh.png

The first BCS Rankings on the season have been released and as expected the University of Southern California Trojans are the top team in the nation, followed by Texas, Virginia Tech, Georgia and Alabama.

As for Notre Dame, they're at #16, but only that high because of the human rankings. If you were to actually go by the computer rankings, they'd come in at 23rd.

6uXNWAo.png

After watching ESPNEWS discuss the new BCS standings, I gotta believe these people don't do any research before going on air. They see ND at 16 and throw a fit by saying the computers hate Notre Dame and how they've been robbed because they just lost to the #1 team in the country.

First off, Notre Dame is a 4-2 team. Two losses, six games into the season. Not good. The Irish also have zero wins over current BCS Top 25 teams. Granted, their two losses are to ranked teams (USC and Mich St.), but they are losses, and if you can't beat the best, then you shouldn't be among them.

I dunno how anyone can make a case for Notre Dame. They are very lucky to be 16th.

6uXNWAo.png

After watching ESPNEWS discuss the new BCS standings, I gotta believe these people don't do any research before going on air. They see ND at 16 and throw a fit by saying the computers hate Notre Dame and how they've been robbed because they just lost to the #1 team in the country.

First off, Notre Dame is a 4-2 team. Two losses, six games into the season. Not good. The Irish also have zero wins over current BCS Top 25 teams. Granted, their two losses are to ranked teams (USC and Mich St.), but they are losses, and if you can't beat the best, then you shouldn't be among them.

I dunno how anyone can make a case for Notre Dame. They are very lucky to be 16th.

If you don't want people to hate on USC, don't hate on Notre Dame or anyone else. Your boys are #1...why in the world would you care about who's number 16. Enjoy the ride, all the way to the Rose Bowl.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

The first BCS Rankings on the season have been released and as expected the University of Southern California Trojans are the top team in the nation, followed by Texas, Virginia Tech, Georgia and Alabama.

As for Notre Dame, they're at #16, but only that high because of the human rankings. If you were to actually go by the computer rankings, they'd come in at 23rd.

Computer rankings they'd be 23? You say that as if it's a bad thing...

You realize the computer factor is considered a huge flaw in the BCS, right?

IUe6Hvh.png

You realize the computer factor is considered a huge flaw in the BCS, right?

What flaw?? Just because the computer doesn't rank Notre Dame high based on it's tradition? :therock:

The computer system is flawed because it was the main reason SC wasn't in the national championship game in 2003, when they deserved to be. and Auburn wasn't in the national championship game in 2004, when they deserved to be.

sB9ijEj.png

The computer system is flawed because it was the main reason SC wasn't in the national championship game in 2003, when they deserved to be. and Auburn wasn't in the national championship game in 2004, when they deserved to be.

In 2003, USC still got a share with LSU (both one-loss teams), so you really can't complain that they got screwed.

And as for 2004, the Trojans would have stomped Auburn if they had faced off, no doubt.

6uXNWAo.png

In 2003, USC still got a share with LSU (both one-loss teams), so you really can't complain that they got screwed.

And as for 2004, the Trojans would have stomped Auburn if they had faced off, no doubt.

Does it make the system right?

sB9ijEj.png

Does it make the system right?

No. I think the BCS system sucks. I would love to see a Division I-A playoff.

However, I can tell you if there had been a playoff in '03 and '04, seeing how USC dominated Michigan and Oklahoma in both bowl games, the Trojans still would have brought home the title in both years.

6uXNWAo.png

The computer doesn't see the two teams play. The computers don't understand that Notre Dame looked like a Championship caliber team against one of the best teams ever. The computer doesn't realize that Notre Dame had that same team on the ropes for all but 3 seconds of a football game. The computer looks at numbers -- that's only part of the story.

IUe6Hvh.png

The computer doesn't see the two teams play.  The computers don't understand that Notre Dame looked like a Championship caliber team against one of the best teams ever.  The computer doesn't realize that Notre Dame had that same team on the ropes for all but 3 seconds of a football game.  The computer looks at numbers -- that's only part of the story.

Exactly. The computers don't see the games. They're there to simply look at the numbers. They aren't biased like some pollsters who keep the most storied school in all of college football, Notre Dame, ranked at #9, eventhough they just blew a late fourth quarter lead at home. The computers look at the pure numbers, like ND's 4-2 record, and number quality wins, which ND doesn't have. If you are barely above .500 and have beaten nobody, like Notre Dame, then you don't deserve to be ninth in the nation. That is exactly why the computers are factored into the BCS rankings.

6uXNWAo.png

They just had the 'greatest team ever', according to you, on the ropes. They just outplayed the 'greatest team ever' for the majority of a football game. They looked like a Championship caliber football team against the 'greatest team ever' -- and they're not the 16th best team in the country? You're an idiot.

If not for 3 blown calls...

1. The spot of the ball following the fumble.

2. USC's Assistant coach Brennan Carroll signalling for a timeout near the endzone. There was no call despite USC having no timeouts and Carroll being well outside of the coaches box. I wasn't aware of this one until Weis brought it up... but it's a missed call none-the-less.

3. Not calling Reggie Bush for aiding the ballcarrier when he obviously pushed Leinart in.

... Notre Dame wins that game, or has a chance to win that game in OT.

Besides, how is going into Michigan, where the Wolverines just defeated the #10 team in the BCS (A team that you have no problem being ranked that high), not an impressive victory?

IUe6Hvh.png

Texas Tech will beat Texas.

Sorry, I find it VERY hard to take a team that whupped up on the likes of Sam Houston State & Indiana State seriously.

The Red Raiders can call me when they actually beat someone good for a change...

FANTASY TEAMS

Housatonic U. Dragons (NCFA Basketball): 16-6 (8-4 Conf.)--National Runner-Up

Jersey State U. (NCFA Football): Inaugural Year - 2006

Motor City Silverhawks (WArFL): 9-4 (3rd--National Conf.)

Lehigh Valley Ironmen (WAmFL): Inaugural Season--2006

New England Marauders RFC (RLI): 6-0-7 (6th place)

Detroit Spirit (AA): 3-6 (T-4th--Patriot League)

Brooklyn Atlantics (IBF): 10-5 (1st--Appalachian Conf.)

Boston Mariners RFU (WRU): Coming Soon!

New York Americans (SHL): Inaugural Season - 2006-07

I dunno how this ever found it's way onto the "Southern Cal Football, USC is the greatest team ever" thread, but here are my two cents on this weekend's game between the University of Texas and Texas Tech Community College.

"TTCC" has a nice aerial attack, and have for some years now, but that is all they have. Tech is undefeated because they've played soft teams most of the way so far. Texas is the real deal this year and Vince Young is simply awesome. If not for the Southern Cal "dynasty", the Longhorns would by far be the best team in college football.

Since I'm on the topic, I'm picking a Texas/SoCal national title game, but I don't think there is any way UT can contain all of USC's weapons. The Trojans are just too good, as they have been the last two seasons and would most likely take down Texas just like all the other great teams the Trojans have beat over the last two seasons.

6uXNWAo.png

I dunno how this ever found it's way onto the "Southern Cal Football, USC is the greatest team ever" thread, but here are my two cents on this weekend's game between the University of Texas and Texas Tech Community College.

"TTCC" has a nice aerial attack, and have for some years now, but that is all they have. Tech is undefeated because they've played soft teams most of the way so far. Texas is the real deal this year and Vince Young is simply awesome. If not for the Southern Cal "dynasty", the Longhorns would by far be the best team in college football.

Since I'm on the topic, I'm picking a Texas/SoCal national title game, but I don't think there is any way UT can contain all of USC's weapons. The Trojans are just too good, as they have been the last two seasons and would most likely take down Texas just like all the other great teams the Trojans have beat over the last two seasons.

Take it from someone who has seen UT up close and personal this year (2 weeks ago to be precise). The 'Horns were clearly looking past Mizzou and toward their game against Oklahoma. Texas played an undisciplined, penalty ridden game, coughed up the ball a few times and still put up 51 points on a fairly decent Mizzou squad. Assuming the 'Horns stay focused and play a disciplined game, Tech will not be able to hang with them for much longer than the Tigers did. This team seems to have a way of saying "even though we may not be at the top of our game, we'll force you to play at the bottom of yours." In 27 years of attending Division I football games, they're among the very best teams that I've had the pleasure to see play in person.

Whether they're good enough to beat USC is another question and one I hope gets answered in January.

Archived