Fake Whalers Jersey?

countdorkula

I collect throwback jerseys, and easily the most coveted one on my list is the 90's Hartford Whalers jersey. I constantly check E-bay for it and i seem to run into This alot. It is a fairly cheap jersey, and I can sometimes find it on Buy it now for the same price. What I notice about it is that: A) The striping on it is totally wrong. The blue in it should be on top of the white instead of being between it and the green. B) The collar on it is weird... it is a v-neck, and the striping is off as well. C) If you notice the bottom right of the jersey, who is "AK" and when did they ever make whalers jerseys?

I have wanted a Whalers jersey for a long time now and it seems this jersey is the best buy, considering how rare it is... Should I cave in and buy the obvoiusly fake jersey? Or should I wait and shell out even more for a real one...

Or does anyone know of where to find this jersey outside of E-bay?

Athletic Knit makes jerseys for many leagues, but not any professional leagues. Also note the V neck is cut off.

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

Whalers jerseys have become the Holy Grail for collectors, since the state of Connecticut owns the rights to the logos and wordmarks and uniforms. Just keep looking and don't settle for obvious fake stuff like this.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

I wish I had... when I had the chance, I had it down to a Canucks jersey (black/gold/red with the skate) or a Whalers jersey. I didn't realize that Connecticut would cut off all Whalers-related merchandise soon after my decision. By not putting Whalers' stuff out for purchase, real stuff is getting harder to find. The NHL has done a pretty good job with their vintage stuff: I have Nordiques (Sakic) and Jets (Tkachuk) jerseys, and I know I could get the old Sabres and Kings pretty easily. But the Whalers are very hard to find.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Yesterday, I found a Whalers jersey made by Starter on ebay. If I'm right, Starter made the official NHL merchandise for a while. I'll knife fight you for it...although you're limited to a butterknife, whereas I get a meat cleaver. Speaking of regretful ebay "passings"...there was THE jersey of Averman from the first Mighty Ducks movie...it was incredible. His jerseys from the other movies were on ebay as well, but I wanted the original so badly. It went for so much money though. I should've just kept going until I had it.

I guess I should put up the link for the Whalers jersey:

The Holy Whale of Jerseys

don't buy that AK crap, keep searching and you'll find one.

I picked up both an authentic navy Whaler and black Canucks skate logo jersey on ebay. Both are original polyknit CCM jerseys from the early 90's in great shape and both where name and numbered, Sanderson #8 on the Hartford and Bure #9 both with appropriate patches. Maybe I lucked out but there's some on there now and again. I also snagged a blank Sabres blue jersey

from the mid-90s as well with their 25th anniversary patch.

Another good site to check out is gameworn.net. It's mainly for game worn jersey collectors

but they have a forum for just auhentics, replicas patches etc....

I didn't realise they were in such high demand... I bought a road Whalers CCM jersey in '97 just after they moved.

o_O

I do believe you are in possession of my Whalers blue jersey.

Super Wario Comix!

Iron Crossover IX Contender (Tied for 6th)

Iron Crossover Halloween Contender (Tied for Bronze)

vanhalengo.png

Jets (Tkachuk) jerseys

Cool, although locally you won't find much sympathy for Tkachubby. His contract demands on an obviously struggling franchise left a bad taste in the mouths of many Winnipeggers, although time has healed many of those wounds.

Rock a Selanne 13 or a Khabibulin 35, and you've reached the epitome of clothing greatness. For more eclectic taste, make a Steen 25 or a Numminen 27. If you're lucky enough to own an old-style jersey, it's gotta be Hawerchuk 10.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

If you're lucky enough to own an old-style jersey, it's gotta be Hawerchuk 10.

I actually had a Flyers' Hawerchuk (#18), but I outgrew it. And it wasn't authentic, but well-made all the same.

As for Tkachuk, I got it 50% off at the store because it had a big stain on the front. It came off with one washing. I chose it because it was a Jets jersey more than because it was Tkachuk. If I had my way, it'd be a Zhamnov... or POKEY REDDICK!

2007nleastchamps.png

Archived