Alternate NJ Devils logo concept

KenMan

It's definitely an interesting design. I think it has potential, but it could use some improvements. For starters, it took me a minute or two to finally see the NJ. I would also lose the gradient (prepare to be reamed by everyone else about that, too). The other major flaw that I see is that the logo is just way to big. It has giant black tentacles (for lack of a better word). I am just concerned that the red center part will be forgotten and all that people will see are the spikes.

Make the shield a solid red, and it's a good logo. Not sure if it'll ever see a uniform, but as far as merchandise, i think it's a winner.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Thanks for the feedback. I'm certainly not committed to the gradient, I don't usually like them myself. I was using it more as a drawing exercise for myself since I'm not very good at using them at the moment.

I agree that the logo is too bulky. I've never taken it beyond this concept drawing, but my idea was to maybe do the horned shield with wings as the crest and have the trident act as an alternate, specifically to run large on the shoulders. Sort of how the Avs use the foot on the shoulder or the outline of Texas on the Stars' jerseys, only bigger.

Overall I think that an edge needs to be added to the look of the team. Not necessarily demonic, but a bit more agressive. The "wings" are sort of inspired by the popularity of that graphic style with your "hardcore" types. I'm thinking about the American Chopper paint schemes and all the Kyle Turleyesque arm tattoos.

I'd love to see something like the Senators alternate with the 3/4 view of a devil face, but I could never pull it off. I think the Red Wings logo would look awesome in that perspective as well, sort of busting out of the jersey front. I've tried that as well, but my drawing skills are pretty crappy and it never looks real enough.

Hey Kenman, if you wouldn't mind, may i take a crack at your idea, i think it has alot of potential and i'd like to see what i can do with it...

sB9ijEj.png

Hey Kenman, if you wouldn't mind, may i take a crack at your idea, i think it has alot of potential and i'd like to see what i can do with it...

Feel free. I will also mention that the way the Stars treat the color blocks that suggest a star shape is in part what I had in mind for the sleeves. The whole sleeve would have a trident and then a smaller patch would show the alternate logo.

If you are a quick study, do you think you could try to do the Red Wings in 3/4 view?

Not bad. Although with the lightning bolt effects on the top sides, it looks more insect than devil. But it has serious potential. Darken the red as well - it looks very bled out on my monitor.

Didn't the Devils have an alternate logo that they were considering using a decade ago? IIRC, I saw a red jersey with a large black devil with white accents (so that the face looked like it was emerging from dark shadows) skating towards the viewer, stick on the ice in front of him, controlling the puck. Behind him were small black/white flames and smoke. And he had a tail and black cape trailing behind him. If I am making this up, I need to cut back on the pills and get more rest... :wacko:

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

I dunno, King. If it didn't say "Alternate NJ Devil's Logo Concept" at the top of this thread, I don't think I'd have any idea what that was. It's VERY abstract and ambiguous.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I dunno, King. If it didn't say "Alternate NJ Devil's Logo Concept" at the top of this thread, I don't think I'd have any idea what that was. It's VERY abstract and ambiguous.

Well, looking at it, i don't think anyone is going to think it's a Los Angeles Angels logo. Not to mention it is a secondary mark, not the primary. I feel one can be more free when creating a secondary...

sB9ijEj.png

I feel one can be more free when creating a secondary...

indeed, secondaries have more freedom, and it's a huge improvement of his original... would be cool for something , just not the devils...

btw, the arrow pointing straight down is a bad idea~ not the direction ya want your team to go.

Well, looking at it, i don't think anyone is going to think it's a Los Angeles Angels logo. Not to mention it is a secondary mark, not the primary. I feel one can be more free when creating a secondary...

This is true, but it doesn't make me think of New Jersey or a Devil. The horns at the top are sort of devilish, but it doesn't exactly scream "devil." It just doesn't look like anything except a random tribal design. I think it's good, maybe if there was a discreet (or even not so discreet) NJ in the shield or something. I think it would look good with an all-red shield, too.

King,

I think it looks great. Much more tight and bold than mine. I agree this would work better as an alternate patch, like the Bigfoot I mentioned the Avs use. Maybe people would be less likely to describe it as vague if you were to add the suggestion of eyes. I love the bared teeth effect. What if the top stopping points were to follow the jaw line more rather than going straight across? Might add a little dimension... Have you tried it w/o the white outline of the shield? I think that would darken the overall effect, in a good way, but I assume you tried that and it didn't work? But with white slanted eyes maybe you wouldn't miss the white as much.

Do you use AI? If so, try raising the miter limit in the stroke menu with the outline selected and you'll get much "sharper" points.

It's funny how when you design and know what you are going for you can't really conceive of a different impression than what you intended. I see the lines jutting out the sides of the shield in my design as a clear suggestion of demonic wings, but a number of people have refered to them as lightening bolts. Maybe I should make them more pterodactyl-like or something. I think I'll give it another try factoring in everyones feedback.

Anyway, I never expected to get as jazzed as I have thinking about this and discussing it, so thanks everyone, I'm glad I stubbled in... now if someone would just do that 3/4 Red Wings logo...

FYI- I contacted the guy that does Uni Watch for ESPN and he wrote back that he thinks the NHL is not doing the Third Jersey program this year. Guess they didn't have enough time to get it organized... what with the lions' share of their creative energies going into that radical redesign of the league logo... pathetic. It's all about the fans though, right?

Archived