Question for Pantone

Blue Falcon

• 2 years later...
The only set I have is 136 C for the "Invader Gold". It may have changed, but I don't know for sure.

I got out my shovel and dug up this old thread. I looked at the USFL paint specs, and it shows the RGB values for the Invaders yellow to be 255-188-61, and the same for the Wranglers. However, in that first pic in my old post, it is clear that the yellow pants of the Invaders are not the same as the Wranglers.

Yes, I like to obsess about old defunct football leagues.... :wacko:

The only set I have is 136 C for the "Invader Gold". It may have changed, but I don't know for sure.

I got out my shovel and dug up this old thread. I looked at the USFL paint specs, and it shows the RGB values for the Invaders yellow to be 255-188-61, and the same for the Wranglers. However, in that first pic in my old post, it is clear that the yellow pants of the Invaders are not the same as the Wranglers.

Yes, I like to obsess about old defunct football leagues.... :wacko:

You always have to remember that even if a team specifies a specific color for printing, that doesn't necessarily mean that it translates to the exact same fabric color.

The NFL is full of these kinds of things. For example, the Bengals and the Browns - in print - use the exact same shade of Orange:

CincinnatiBengalsOrange_SOL_SRGB.jpgClevelandBrownsOrange_SOL_SRGB.jpg

However, when talking about the colors in terms of fabrics/textiles, they are much different:

CincinnatiBengalsOrange_TEX_SRGB.jpgClevelandBrownsOrange_TEX_SRGB.jpg

The bottom line is, what you see on paper isn't necessarily what you see on the field (!).

In case anyone cares, I came up with an example of an opposite matching...the Chiefs and the Patriots use different Reds for printing purposes:

KansasCityChiefsRed_SOL_SRGB.jpgNewEnglandPatriotsRed_SOL_SRGB.jpg

However, they use the same Pantone Textile:

KansasCityChiefsRed_TEX_SRGB.jpgNewEnglandPatriotsRed_TEX_SRGB.jpg

I'm probably the only one who finds that interesting, but oh well...!

Quite some time ago, when the Browns had orange pants, my Dad was selling for Sand Knitting Mills and they were trying to get Art Modell's business. When they were discussing the pants, all Modell wanted was "a different orange than the Bengals had". I always thought that was the strangest request, because aside from Texas Orange and a bright Tennessee-type Orange, to me, orange was orange.

Quite some time ago, when the Browns had orange pants, my Dad was selling for Sand Knitting Mills and they were trying to get Art Modell's business. When they were discussing the pants, all Modell wanted was "a different orange than the Bengals had". I always thought that was the strangest request, because aside from Texas Orange and a bright Tennessee-type Orange, to me, orange was orange.

Great story. That probably explains why their fabrics are different today,

The request was probably made out of spite, to make sure there were no similarites with the Bengals. Paul Brown coached (retired after 1975) and owned the Bengals, so Modell probably wanted nothing of similarity to anything dealing with Paul Brown. Modell fired Brown as coach in the 1960s and Brown supposedly mirrored the Bengals' unis after the Browns (with black subbing for brown) to tweak Modell.

I've always been curious about the Invaders' pantone blue - similar to Cal's blue way back in the 80's (the Joe Roth era)

It's on my site - it was PANTONE 285 C.

Archived