Voices of the LCS

timmy b

well then, thanks for the interest. and with that, here's the first of my commentator lists, the men who have called the baseball league championship series on tv since they started in 1969:

2004: NL: Fox, FX (g 5). Thom Brennaman, Steve Lyons, Bob Brenly

AL: Fox. Joe Buck, Tim McCarver, Al Leiter

2003: NL: Fox. Thom Brennaman, Steve Lyons, Al Leiter

AL: Fox. Joe Buck, Tim McCarver, Brett Boone

2002: NL: Fox. Joe Buck, Tim McCarver

AL: Fox. Thom Brennaman, Steve Lyons

2001: NL: Fox. Joe Buck, Tim McCarver (g 1, 2)

Thom Brennaman, Steve Lyons (g 3, 4, 5)

AL: Fox. Thom Brennaman, Steve Lyons (g 1, 2)

Joe Buck Tim McCarver (g 3, 4, 5)

2000: NL: Fox. Joe Buck, Tim McCarver

AL: NBC. Bob Costas, Joe Morgan

1999: NL: NBC. Bob Costas, Joe Morgan

AL: Fox. Joe Buck, Tim McCarver, Bob Brenly

1998: NL: Fox. Joe Buck, Tim McCarver, Bob Brenly

AL: NBC. Bob Costas, Joe Morgan

1997: NL: NBC. Bob Costas, Joe Morgan, Bob Uecker

AL: Fox. Joe Buck, Tim McCarver, Bob Brenly

1996: NL: Fox. Joe Buck, Tim McCarver, Bob Brenly

AL: NBC. Bob Costas, Joe Morgan, Bob Uecker

1995: NL: ABC. Al Michaels, Jim Palmer, Tim McCarver (g 1, 2)

NBC. Greg Gumbel, Joe Morgan (g 3, 4)

AL: ABC. Brent Musberger, Jim Kaat (g 1, 2)

NBC. Bob Costas, Bob Uecker (g 3, 4, 5, 6)

ABC. Al Michaels, Jim Palmer, Tim McCarver (g 7)

1993: NL: CBS. Sean McDonough, Tim McCarver

AL: CBS. Greg Gumbel, Jim Kaat

1992: NL: CBS. Sean McDonough, Tim McCarver

AL: CBS. Dick Stockton, Jim Kaat

1991: NL: CBS. Jack Buck, Tim McCarver

1990: NL: CBS. Jack Buck, Tim McCarver

1989: NL: NBC. Vin Scully (g 1, 3, 4, 5), Bob Costas (g 2), Tom Seaver

AL: NBC. Bob Costas, Tony Kubek

1988: NL: ABC. Al Michaels, Jim Palmer, Tim McCarver

AL: ABC. Gary Bender, Joe Morgan, Reggie Jackson

1987: NL: NBC. Vin Scully, Joe Garagiola

1986: NL: ABC. Keith Jackson, Tim McCarver

AL: ABC. Al Michaels, Jim Palmer

1985: NL: NBC. Vin Scully, Joe Garagiola

1984: NL: ABC. Don Drysdale, Earl Weaver, Reggie Jackson

AL: ABC. Al Michaels, Howard Cosell, Jim Palmer

1983: NL: NBC. Vin Scully, Joe Garagiola

1982: NL: ABC. Al Michaels, Howard Cosell, Tommy Lasorda

AL: ABC. Keith Jackson, Jim Palmer, Earl Weaver

1981: NL: NBC. Dick Enberg, Tom Seaver

AL: NBC. Joe Garagiola, Tony Kubek

1980: NL: ABC. Keith Jackson, Don Drysdale, Howard Cosell

AL: ABC. Al Michaels, Billy Martin, Jim Palmer

1979: NL: NBC. Joe Garagiola, Tony Kubek, Don Sutton

AL: NBC. Dick Enberg, Wes Parker, Sparky Anderson

1978: NL: ABC. Al Michaels, Don Drysdale, Johnny Bench

AL: ABC. Keith Jackson, Howard Cosell, Jim Palmer

1977: NL: NBC. Joe Garagiola, Tony Kubek (g 1, 2)

Jim Simpson, Maury Wills (g 3)

Dick Enberg, Don Drysdale (g 4)

AL: NBC. Jim Simpson, Maury Wills (g 1)

Dick Enberg, Don Drysdale (g 2)

Joe Garagiola, Tony Kubek (g 3, 4, 5)

1976: NL: ABC. Al Michaels, Warner Wolf, Tom Seaver

AL: ABC. Keith Jackson, Bob Uecker, Howard Cosell, Reggie Jackson

1975: NL: NBC. Joe Garagiola, Maury Wills

AL: NBC. Curt Gowdy, Tony Kubek

1974: NL: NBC. Jim Simpson, Maury Wills

1973: NL: NBC. Jim Simpson, Maury Wills

1972: NL: NBC. Jim Simpson, Sandy Koufax

1971: NL: NBC. Curt Gowdy, Tony Kubek (g 1, 2)

Jim Simpson, Sandy Koufax (g 3, 4)

AL: NBC. Jim Simpson, Sandy Koufax (g 1, 2)

Curt Gowdy, Tony Kubek (g 3)

1970: NL: NBC. Jim Simpson, Sandy Koufax

1969: NL: NBC. Jim Simpson, Sandy Koufax

A couple of notes:

The rather messy 1995 arrangement was courtesy of ?The Baseball Network," which was MLB's in-house production facilities. ABC and NBC shared the same on-air graphics and even the mike ?flags? had the TBN logo on it with the respective network logo.

Except for game 1 in both series, all games in 1975 were regionally televised. The first four games of the 1995 LCS's were also regionally televised.

In 2001, g5 of the NLCS and g4 of the ALCS were split between Fox and Fox Sports Net.

In 2002, g1 of the NLCS and g2 of the ALCS were split between Fox and Fox Sports Net.

In 2003, g1 of the ALCS and g2 of the NLCS were split between Fox and FX.

In 2004, g1 of the NLCS and g2 of the ALCS were split between Fox and FSN. Also in 2004, g5 of the ALCS ran way into g5 of the NLCS time slot. The first 7 innings of the NLCS game were shown on FX.

tb

Scully and Porter in the NL. No I don't like the Dodgers but they had two of the best men I've ever heard. Getting them together again for the NLCS sometime would be awesome. Then again the NL has some great voices. Hamilton, Coleman, Miller, Ueker, etc.

For the AL...who could we get?

-Daniel
Check Out My Podcast! Latest Episode 273: The Color Blinky
Latest Photo Upload: January 7, 2012

1976 AL: ABC. Keith Jackson, Bob Uecker, Howard Cosell, Reggie Jackson

Wow...that's a lineup.  Could you imagine listening to those 4 guys go back and forth???

i don't think all 4 were in the booth at the same time. i think ueck & keith took turns at pxp. i think.

rockchalk, in 75 i think nbc experimented with the regional approach. i remember game 3 of the nlcs where john candelaria of the bucs was mowing down the reds (the reds did come back in the game to sweep the bucs) and nbc would give a highlight of the red sox-a's series going on simultaneously. fans weren't pleased with the set-up at all. 20 years later, mlb tried the same set-up, with again disastrous results.

sometimes ya never learn.

tb

OK, I understand NBC switching announcers in 1971. It wasn't by team, but by geography.

Gowdy and Kubek did the first two Pirates/Giants games in San Francisco, then crossed the Bay for Game 3 of Orioles/Athletics in Oakland. Meanwhile, Simpson and Koufax did the first two in Baltimore, then went up to Pittsburgh for the rest of the series. Hardly any travel.

(Remember, this is back when the LCS was Best-of-5, and unlike the LDS of today, the format was two games at one park, then the final three at the other team.)

But I don't get 1977. (And I remember 1977 because I was living in Philadelphia at the time. Maybe its because I had World Series tickets, and I recall the monsoon of Game 4. I could see the lights of Veterans Stadium through the downpour from my window while watching the game on TV, wondering how they could even consider playing. And there is Commissioner Bowie Kuhn, not wearing a coat, getting drenched and pretending it wasn't raining.)

But I digress.

Anyway, what's the deal with three different NBC crews? Garagiola and Kubek, Simpson and Wills, and Enberg and Drysdale, all bouncing all over the place. Anyone know the reason?

CK3ZP8E.jpg

mjrbaseball,

using the info from www.shrpsports.com this is how the day by day set up would appear for 77:

10/4: nlcs in l.a., garagiola, kubek.

10/5: nlcs in l.a., garagiola, kubek

alcs in n.y., simpson, wills

10/6: alcs in n.y., enberg, drysdale

10/7: alcs in k.c., garagiola, kubek

nlcs in phila, simpson, wills

10/8: alcs in k.c., garagiola, kubek

nlcs in phila, enberg, drysdale

10/9: alcs in k.c., garagiola, kubek.

as simpson and enberg also doubled up as afc pxp commentators, it's very possible that enberg went from philly to baltimore the next day to call dolphins-colts. simpson worked his last lcs game on friday, so he could be anywhere to do his nfl game for nbc by sunday.

enberg & drysdale both were angels commentators during the 77 season. however, enberg had already done a few things for nbc - including final four - by this time. 77 was a real changing of the guard era for nbc. curt gowdy had already been dropped from nbc's baseball crew & though he was still the #1 pxp guy for nbc's nfl coverage, there was no doubt that he was on his way down the food chain. he and enberg shared final four duties in 76 & 77 (each called a semi-final and shared a half in the championship). enberg was very much the rising star at nbc in 77. simpson and wills were also on their way out by this time. simpson was a perennial #2 pxp man at nbc for many years and would be one of espn's first pxp guys when that outlet started in 1979. drysdale was probably given this chance as a "tryout" for nbc coverage in 78. instead, he signed up with abc in 78.

hope this sheds a bit of light on what seemed to be a topsy-turvy lcs playoff run for nbc in 1977.

tb

• 10 years later...
On 10/6/2005 at 6:48 PM, timmy b said:

i don't think all 4 were in the booth at the same time. i think ueck & keith took turns at pxp. i think.

rockchalk, in 75 i think nbc experimented with the regional approach. i remember game 3 of the nlcs where john candelaria of the bucs was mowing down the reds (the reds did come back in the game to sweep the bucs) and nbc would give a highlight of the red sox-a's series going on simultaneously. fans weren't pleased with the set-up at all. 20 years later, mlb tried the same set-up, with again disastrous results.

sometimes ya never learn.

tb

Since i've just joined this forum... Timmy:

Did NBC switch back and forth between Three Rivers Stadium and the Oakland Coliseum during LCS G3? did they do the same thing with LCS G2 where they switched back and forth between Riverfront Stadium and Fenway Park?

Archived