SD-STL

nsentv

Saturday night, Padres-Cardinals Game 3 will start at 11 PM on ESPN. And people were complaining about Yankees-Angels...

My question is, when is late night too late? I know the NBA had some 11 PM games a couple of years ago, but that was really a one shot deal. I was pretty sure that baseball was done with that insanity too, but...

I guess the only upshot of this is that its a Saturday night. Granted, there's no way in hell any twelve-year old kid is gonna get to stay up till 2 in the morning to catch a baseball game, but it'd be a heck of a lot worse on a school night.

im assuming by 11pm you were speaking of eastern time, which would be 10pm here in st. louis? even still 8pm is a pretty late start time for a baseball game, if they started at 7pm in san diego like a normal game time it would only be 9 in STL and 10 on the east coast. I dont see any point in starting so late.

Cards08.jpg

World Champions: 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006

Well, contrary to popular belief, the world does not revolve around the Eastern Standard Time Zone.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

I'm guessing this has to do with ESPN being unable or unwilling to get out of its commitment to broadcast a college football game in the 7-10 p.m. (CDT) time slot where a baseball game might ordinarily be broadcast. Someone at ESPN long range programming should have foreseen the possibility that a west coast playoff game might create a conflict with their prime time CFB slate and figured out a better contingency plan than this. I'm somewhat disappointed (but clearly not surprised) that MLB hasn't stepped in and vetoed such a late starting time for a playoff game.

Not to mention a team playing a playoff game at noon on a tuesday 2 years in a row. Something needs to be done, I may sound like I'm complaining, but how fair is it to the fans of the Cardinals and Padres and other teams that aren't the redsox and yankees to have to show up to goofy start times during the entire playoffs?

I love day games as much as the next guy, but for the opening game of the playoffs to be the earliest start time of the year just isn't right. Luckily the game was in St. Louis, if it was anywhere else the stadium would have been empty.

Could've played this game in the 4 Eastern, 3 Central, 1 Pacific time slot, what with Yanks/Angels being rained out and game four being moved to Sunday night ...

"Attention all ticket holders for today's game. We know it's short notice but we are moving up the game 7 hours because it is raining in New York. I know it's a terrible inconvenience, but when East Coasters complain, we must accomodate them.

To all players, we know this ruins your routine and gives you 0 time to prepare or even wake up in some cases but it's your fault for signing with a west coast team."

Yeah, you're right. I have no idea why they didn't move today's game. :rolleyes:

Well, contrary to popular belief, the world does not revolve around the Eastern Standard Time Zone.

You're absolutely right, but I think folks in New York City believe the world revolves around NYC.

We all know the world revolves around Saskatoon, Saskatchewan (just because it's fun to say).

Archived