Tampa Bay Devil Rays Name Change?

Survival79

It would be surprising in today's sports world, but it seems "Devil Rays" would be the perfect experiment, with the backlash from the Devil portion and the failure of the team.

What backlash from the Devil portion of the name? I've never seen anything to back that up, save one comment in a press conference in which the organization suggested that they thought people weren't coming to the games because the name scared them off. :rolleyes:

I thought there was a whole big thing about it, which is why they're pretty much the Tampa Bay Rays now.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
maybe they are just changing it to St. Petersburg Devil Rays of Tampa Bay

sorry

sorry

bad joke

i am truely sorry

Devil Rays fan cries foul over 'Tampa' label; [LATE TAMPA Edition]

CARRIE JOHNSON. St. Petersburg Times. St. Petersburg, Fla.: Sep 21, 2005. pg. 3.B

He began scribbling. When he finished, [bill Foster] had written a resolution asking the Rays to consider changing the team name to include St. Petersburg.

"All I want to do is ask nicely," Foster said. "Every time someone gets it wrong, we're losing a marketing opportunity. . . . I don't think there's any downside for the Tampa Bay Devil Rays."

Foster said the team could become the St. Petersburg Devil Rays or the Tampa Bay Devil Rays at St. Petersburg.According to the Rays' contract with the city, the team has the right to pick its own name, said City Attorney John Wolfe. That means the city can't compel a name change until the contract expires, which isn't for more than 20 years, Wolfe said.

I remember something appearing in SI, I think it was in the "This Week's Sign of the Apocalypse" section, back when the name was first chosen. Something about how one group or another was protesting the name because "Ray" backwards is "Yar" which is some sort of obscure demonic dog. I found it interesting at the time because the group noticed that, but failed to notice the word "Devil."

It would be surprising in today's sports world, but it seems "Devil Rays" would be the perfect experiment, with the backlash from the Devil portion and the failure of the team.

What backlash from the Devil portion of the name? I've never seen anything to back that up, save one comment in a press conference in which the organization suggested that they thought people weren't coming to the games because the name scared them off. :rolleyes:

I think he means because it says "Devil", not from the goth or Satanic community.

St. Petersburg Times. St. Petersburg, Fla.: Mar 10, 1995. pg. 14.A

Asked about Christian objections to the name, team owner Vince Naimoli, a graduate of Notre Dame, said, "I'm a Christian. The name has nothing whatsoever to do with the devil. It's a fish."

I remember something appearing in SI, I think it was in the "This Week's Sign of the Apocalypse" section, back when the name was first chosen. Something about how one group or another was protesting the name because "Ray" backwards is "Yar" which is some sort of obscure demonic dog. I found it interesting at the time because the group noticed that, but failed to notice the word "Devil."

Name change is just what the Rays need Series: COMMENTARY; [sOUTH PINELLAS Edition]

St. Petersburg Times. St. Petersburg, Fla.: May 14, 2000. pg. 3.C

Abstract (Document Summary)

I was happy to read the Devil Rays management is considering exorcising the name "Devil" from the team logo. It's about time. This name has done nothing but bring on darkening and gloomy effects. I always had a strong feeling that divine providence would never bless a team with a satanic name.

i still say take the devil rays and marlins, merge them into one team, and move them to orlando

same with the A's and the team formally known as the expos- take those two, merge em, and plop em in vegas B)

That's dumb. The A's are profitable!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Wow, what would be the historic implications of a team changing its name, without any sort of move?  I'm sure it happened a lot before (highlanders to yanks) but in the modern age?  I can't think of one instance.  Interesting.

Im all for it, they have one of the worst looks in baseball, and the name is as flat as their history.

Is the 1960s "the modern age"? If so, then the expansion Houston Colt .45s are a perfectly apt, modern example: after a few years of struggling under a silly name, they switched to Astros.

Step one to long-term success for badly named expansion franchises would seem to be changing the name. Unfortunately for Tampa, step two is getting Nolan Ryan to come throw you some no-hitters.

20082614447.png

interesting image of Tropicana Field w/o the dome...personally, watching Red Sox games on NESN when they play there, it does have that "playing in a basement" feel. It just seems like it's dead there, like it's stagnant. Plus the fans there are almost non-existant (except for that guy sitting behind home plate who yells "Johnny! Johnny! Johnny Damon!" when he's up to bat - he used to get on Todd Walker when he played for us too. The lone loyal Rays fan lol)

Get rid of the dome!

bwt, when I saw that StP logo, I thought of Stone Temple Pilots lol

Wow, what would be the historic implications of a team changing its name, without any sort of move?  I'm sure it happened a lot before (highlanders to yanks) but in the modern age?  I can't think of one instance.  Interesting.

Im all for it, they have one of the worst looks in baseball, and the name is as flat as their history.

Is the 1960s "the modern age"? If so, then the expansion Houston Colt .45s are a perfectly apt, modern example: after a few years of struggling under a silly name, they switched to Astros.

Step one to long-term success for badly named expansion franchises would seem to be changing the name. Unfortunately for Tampa, step two is getting Nolan Ryan to come throw you some no-hitters.

When I think of the Houston Colt .45s, I think of a bunch of old fat ballplayers drinking 40s.

Rays can always get Fat Rodge to play for them, since he's retiring for like a third time now

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Actually, there's another reason as to why the Colt .45s changed to Astros...

At first, they wanted to honor the Old West, and the powers that be in Houston thought, "Hey! Why not name the team after the 'Gun That Tamed The West'? It'll be pure genius!"

Well, the team floundered (as most expansion teams do) and the only thing they could draw to Colt Stadium were hordes of mosquitos....

Wellp, one tiny event kinda pushed the name change to "Astros" through in 1965...

Seems Colt Firearms was gonna sue the bejeezus out of the ballclub unless they did change the name...something about "copyright infringement"....

Just kinda co-incided with the rise of the Space Race, the opening of the Space Center in Houston, and the fact the Dome was near completion, so everything dovetailed together nicely.

=================

As for a name change for the Rays...It's needed, badly. Then again, there's lots that team needs (and I saw they took the right step (well, besides having someone with a clue take over the club from Namoli), canning Chucky LaMar yesterday as the GM). A name change wouldn't hurt at all...kinda bury all the mistakes from the previous regime at the Trop...

Now, if they could only get a real live pitching staff, a much better stadium, and some fans, they'd be in business....

FANTASY TEAMS

Housatonic U. Dragons (NCFA Basketball): 16-6 (8-4 Conf.)--National Runner-Up

Jersey State U. (NCFA Football): Inaugural Year - 2006

Motor City Silverhawks (WArFL): 9-4 (3rd--National Conf.)

Lehigh Valley Ironmen (WAmFL): Inaugural Season--2006

New England Marauders RFC (RLI): 6-0-7 (6th place)

Detroit Spirit (AA): 3-6 (T-4th--Patriot League)

Brooklyn Atlantics (IBF): 10-5 (1st--Appalachian Conf.)

Boston Mariners RFU (WRU): Coming Soon!

New York Americans (SHL): Inaugural Season - 2006-07

I thought that was a factor in their "Rays" uniforms instead of the gradient "Devil Rays" of old. I'm relying on info from this board, I believe. I'll look for something more to back it up. My memory may be failing me...

EDIT: Oops.. replied before I saw there was a Page 2 and saw Pooter, Galwegian and CC's comments that supported my thoughts. Glad I'm not alone. Started to think I was losing it.

I think the Tampa-St. Petersburg area has the potential to be a great baseball market. They are great representatives for their other sports teams. The Bucs won the Super Bowl two years ago and are 4-0 this season, and the Lightning are the defendning Stanley Cup champions. So if hockey and football can succeed in Tampa Bay, there is no reason baseball can't.

I thought that was a factor in their "Rays" uniforms instead of the gradient "Devil Rays" of old. I'm relying on info from this board, I believe. I'll look for something more to back it up. My memory may be failing me...

EDIT: Oops.. replied before I saw there was a Page 2 and saw Pooter, Galwegian and CC's comments that supported my thoughts. Glad I'm not alone. Started to think I was losing it.

I remember a born-again Christian D-Rays player (I think it was Sean Berry, it was definitely an ex-Astro) telling the team they should change the name because the word "Devil" was in it. It was around 2000-2001-ish.

Just utter nonsense. The name isn't the problem, it was ownership and management.

And the word "Devil" has worked out okay for that hockey team from East Rutherford. You know, the one that has the 3 Stanley Cups.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

Archived