Duke adding black trim to their home whites

TGroce

It would be unacceptable if the official colors were blue and white, but they aren't; they are blue, black, and white.

[Lee Corso] NOT SO FAST MY FRIEND!![/Lee Corso]

This page says otherwise. And if the Official Website of Duke Athletics isn't correct, I don't know who is.

More evidence courtesy of the Duke U. Libraries web site:

"During World War I the Chasseurs Alpins, nicknamed "les Diables Bleus," were well known French soldiers... their distinctive blue uniform with flowing cape and jaunty beret captured public imagination... Irving Berlin captured their spirit in song describing them as "strong and active, most attractive . . . those Devils, the Blue Devils of France."

As the war was ending in Europe, the Trinity College Board of Trustees lifted its quarter-century ban of football on campus. After playing an intramural class schedule for one year, Trinity began intercollegiate competition in 1920. That first year the traditional nomenclature of the Trinity Eleven, the Blue and White or the Methodists... believing a choice utilizing the school colors of dark blue and white to be appropriate, the newspaper editors urged a selection from among the nominations of Blue Titans, Blue Eagles, Polar Bears, Blue Devils, Royal Blazes, or Blue Warriors.

Still more:

from wikipedia.com [Duke University]: "In 1887, the Yale-educated economist John F. Crowell became president of Trinity College, and in fact, Yale blue was adopted as the school color in honor of Crowell's alma mater.

Duke fight song: "Duke Blue and White"

ESPN also lists the colors as royal blue & white, the information correct as of July 2005.

I'm not seeing any evidence of black being an official school color, which only lends creedence to my point, that they added black for black's sake, and ruined their colors in the process.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It would be unacceptable if the official colors were blue and white, but they aren't; they are blue, black, and white.

I'm not seeing any evidence of black being an official school color, which only lends creedence to my point, that they added black for black's sake, and ruined their colors in the process.

Read my post above, copied from Duke University's Identity and Standards Guidelines.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

EDIT: The questions below in the first section are moot. The guidelines that the link refers to are NOT for Duke University, but for the Duke U. Health System and its Medical Center. A separate entity. I leave the questions because I would like an answer, but those guidelines do not pertain to the university.

Do identity guidelines constitute school colors? (I am asking out of ignorance; explanation follows behind the question.)

By that, I mean PMS 287 and black have been designated as the colors Duke uses for printed material using their name and logos. But does that mean that the colors used in printed materiel are also the school colors?

I may be splitting hairs, but in every piece of literature that I have seen Duke produce, and every official university Web site, the school colors are listed as royal blue and white. So, is black just a processing color? If so, why would Duke continue to list their colors as blue and white everywhere but on an identity packaging information sheet, which the general public doesn't usually have at their disposal?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Secondly, for slapshot and tempest: those are the identity guidelines for Duke University Medical Center (which is the "mc" in the URL) and Duke U. Health System. This is a separate entity from Duke University. Nowhere on that site is the Iron D, the "Duke" script, the devil's head, or any other marks associated with the university or its athletics teams. To label it as "Duke University Identity Guidelines" isn't entirely true; as I said, this is the guide for the Medical Center and Health System, which is not the same thing as the university. UPenn does the same thing - there is the University of Pennsylvania, and then there is the U. of Penn. Health System. NOT the same thing. :therock:

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

VitaminD, you are correct. According to the official Duke University sports website, the official colors of Duke are Royal Blue and White. Unfortunately, Duke's main website is slow to load right now, so I can't investigate more thoroughly.

However, the colors of the uniforms for most of the sports teams (regardless of manufacturer) are royal blue, black and white. In fact, I couldn't even find any blue at all for the field hockey team. In most cases, black is an accent, or at least not the most prominent color. But black is there. So by adding black to the basketball uniforms, it does make them consistent with the other sports teams.

However, the colors of the uniforms for most of the sports teams (regardless of manufacturer) are royal blue, black and white. In fact, I couldn't even find any blue at all for the field hockey team. In most cases, black is an accent, or at least not the most prominent color. But black is there. So by adding black to the basketball uniforms, it does make them consistent with the other sports teams.

IIRC, black crept into Duke's athletic department through the men's basketball team first. Before Duke sold out to Nike and added black to the hoops road jerseys (and the black "alternate" uniforms), every sports team at Duke wore only royal blue and white. Since the men's hoops team is the most prominent team at Duke, the other teams went ahead and added black so that they would look more like the team that everyone saw on TV. Now, I guess to complete the cycle, the team that started this entire mess off is now adding black to the one uniform they didn't allow Nike to destroy some years ago.

This goes beyond the "two wrongs don't make a right" statement. The flagship team of the school (men's hoops) made a mistake selling its soul to Nike and adding black to the established and official school colors (which looked just fine, and worked for Laettner, Hurley and crew... :puke:). 1 wrong. Then, the other teams got in line behind this first mistake. So that's 2 wrongs not making a right. Now the hoops team is standardizing their look by adding a color it should never have brought into the fold onto the one uniform that was left blue and white, drawing the last decent uniform they had into the "wrong" look, because "everybody's doing it". It's more of a "three wrongs don't make a damn thing right", if my math is right...

:blink: . And I'm still pretty sure black is not a school color...

2007nleastchamps.png

According to the Helmet Project website, Duke's football team had black facemasks and possible black Duke script (hard to tell) starting in 1994. I don't remember seeing black on Duke's basketball uniforms until the late 90's or early 00's. So I don't think the other sports are following basketball's lead with black; instead, it's just become more noticeable because the basketball team gets the most exposure. I don't know if the black was due to Nike or not, because I don't know if Nike made Duke's football uniforms back in 1994.

I believe that the first timethey wore the black uniforms was for a home game against St. Joe's at the beginning of the 97-98 season. The football team began using black at the beginning of the Fred Goldsmith era (in 1994.) I also recall (perhaps incorrectly) that the men's soccer team has worn navy on occassion. Also, the football team has worn silver in the past.

Yeah, Men's soccer has navy uniforms. I go to UConn, and we played an exhibition game against them the 2nd day I was here. There uniforms were Navy on Navy...with Duke in what looked like an Olde English font....

Even though I go to UConn, I've been a Dukie since as far back as I can remember, and I HATE the addition of the black. They always play horribly in the stupid black alternates, then last year they switch out the side pannels, making the blue look WAY too bright IMO...now they switch out one of the blue stripes for a black on on the home uni.... :cursing::evil::cursing:

....oh well..at least they aren't scraping the whole set for just a bid D in the middle of the chest and completely eliminating a classic look...

...all Carolina humor aside...definately not a fan of these

We are one!

According to the Helmet Project website, Duke's football team had black facemasks and possible black Duke script (hard to tell) starting in 1994. I don't remember seeing black on Duke's basketball uniforms until the late 90's or early 00's. So I don't think the other sports are following basketball's lead with black; instead, it's just become more noticeable because the basketball team gets the most exposure. I don't know if the black was due to Nike or not, because I don't know if Nike made Duke's football uniforms back in 1994.

Slapshot - you are correct. Looking back Duke's decrepit football team did wear black accents before the basketball team. I enjoyed watching both the football team and basketball team get smoked by the Heels while I was in Chapel Hill (4-0 football, 7-1 basketball).

That said, black (and silver before it) are not official school colors, to the best of my knowledge. And that just makes their inclusion that much worse. UNC also uses navy trim for some of its uniforms (though John Bunting is phasing it out), but it's not an official school color - just Carolina Blue and White, which go back a couple hundred years.

Duke's use of black in both football and basketball is eerily similar to what the Detroit Lions have done. Both had simple, elegant color schemes that stood the test of time. Black was added for no apparently good reason. A little trim stripe here, a facemask there. Left unchecked, it overwhelmed an otherwise sensible design to the point where the unofficial trim color is now a dominant color, over the official colors.

Bad move, bad look, bad judgement.

2007nleastchamps.png

IIRC, black crept into Duke's athletic department through the men's basketball team first. Before Duke sold out to Nike and added black to the hoops road jerseys (and the black "alternate" uniforms), every sports team at Duke wore only royal blue and white. Since the men's hoops team is the most prominent team at Duke, the other teams went ahead and added black so that they would look more like the team that everyone saw on TV. Now, I guess to complete the cycle, the team that started this entire mess off is now adding black to the one uniform they didn't allow Nike to destroy some years ago.

This goes beyond the "two wrongs don't make a right" statement. The flagship team of the school (men's hoops) made a mistake selling its soul to Nike and adding black to the established and official school colors (which looked just fine, and worked for Laettner, Hurley and crew... :puke:). 1 wrong. Then, the other teams got in line behind this first mistake. So that's 2 wrongs not making a right. Now the hoops team is standardizing their look by adding a color it should never have brought into the fold onto the one uniform that was left blue and white, drawing the last decent uniform they had into the "wrong" look, because "everybody's doing it". It's more of a "three wrongs don't make a damn thing right", if my math is right...

:blink: . And I'm still pretty sure black is not a school color...

Right. The field hockey team under Liz Tchou was the first Duke team to wear black.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived