Nll "tilts" west once more...

Brian in Boston

I'm on vacation, so this topic may have already been covered. If so, my apologies.

It's now official... the National Lacrosse League has a decidedly Western flair. The NHL's Phoenix Coyotes, led by managing partner Wayne Gretzky, have reached a three-year agreement to run the day-to-day business operations of the NLL's Columbus Landsharks. The franchise will begin play in the Coyotes' new arena in Glendale, Arizona this coming December.

Current Landsharks' owners Mike Gongas and Charlie Russo currently maintain 100% ownership of the franchise. However, the Coyotes have an option to purchase 33% of the club and will reportedly do so shortly. Once that initial option is exercised, sources say that the Coyotes hold an option to purchase an additional 33% stake in the club, thus giving them a majority ownership stake.

So, in a single off-season the NLL has gone from being a league primarily composed of franchises in the Northeastern United States and Canada, to a league with a majority of franchises west of the Mississippi.

As with this off-season's previous NLL franchise shifts of Albany to San Jose and New Jersey to Anaheim, the relocated team is currently searching for a new identity. The "Name the Team" contest can be found at www.arizonalax.com

Brian in Boston

Being English I find this whole Lacrosse thing very weird! In this country its only really played by girls in the snobbiest schools!!! Not much of a TV market for that really!

Its the excact oposite here.  Box lacrosse is played in on a hockey rink with a carpet over the ice or concrete and is a very rough sport.  It really quick with bone shatering hits and is quite entertaining.

1zqy8ok.gif

Being English I find this whole Lacrosse thing very weird! In this country its only really played by girls in the snobbiest schools!!! Not much of a TV market for that really!

That's the way it is the United States with field hockey. It's a girls sport in the US. In other countries, it's a vicious sport played mostly by men.

Archived