Georgia Bulldogs

andrewharrington

After watching them play the Vols tonight, I decided they look good, but they could definitely look better. Big changes include [gasp!] reversing the colors of the logo [/gasp!] to match the numbers and stripes, black trim on both jerseys, along with a black facemask to match, elimination of the helmet stripe, and red pants on the road. By the way, these flat gray pants teams are switching to are so light that it's sometimes hard to tell that they are gray and not white, as was the case with both Georgia and Ohio State tonight. The biggest thing I debated on was the stripes on the home pants. I was torn between the unique red.white.black combo or the black.white.black to match the away pants, the numbers, the logo, etc. I decided to keep the traditional pants because I like them so much. Note the bone awards, too, because I love award stickers. The red looks a little too magenta here, but PANTONE 200 is official. Is anyone familiar with calibrating Illustrator to display PANTONE colors as accurately as Photoshop does? My Photoshop displays them way better than my Illustrator.

georgia.gif

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Very nice, but with the reversed logo colors, the logo seems to lose its identity and become simply a recolored Packers logo. I guess the Georgia G has its identity in the fact that the colors are inverted.

VmWIn6B.png

I like the red pants...as a change of pace, I think the gray pants still should be THE pants for the Bulldogs. But this is a concept so I'll allow it. :D

3 thumbs!

#CHOMPCHOMPCHOMP

Very nice, but with the reversed logo colors, the logo seems to lose its identity and become simply a recolored Packers logo. I guess the Georgia G has its identity in the fact that the colors are inverted.

Actually, when the Georgia G was originally drawn, it was done pretty much as you see it today, and the Packers G was a little different at the time. Because of the apparent similarity though, UGA thought it best to sek and gain permission from the Packers in 1963. The Packers subsequently modified their G over the years to reflect to little nuances present in the Georgia G. Thus, they look almost identical today. The colors aren't the basis for the identity.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

i like the jerseys, but as a semi-traditionalist when it comes to SEC uni's I like the thick white stripe they have on the current helmet. I also am a fan of the "silver britches" for home and away...but other than my traditionalist thoughts they look nice

I'm with the bruiser here.

Our high school essentially borrowed heavily from UGA's look, so I have always had a strong connection to what they wear. We had the same mascot and colors, and our helmet logo was an "H" in an oval. Other than essentially reversing their red-dominant look for our black-dominant look, and the "H" for the "G", we copied UGA. Right down to the silver brithces with the red/white/black stripes.

It's a damn shame - we looked so sharp, but couldn't play football worth a lick. And our soccer team was great but didn't look all that spectacular. Go figure.

The concept is nice, but I do miss those silver pants - although I could warm to the red ones in time. I like the helmet better without the stripe (we had a single red stripe in HS), and as long as the dog bone merit stickers fill up the back, everything's OK with me.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

As someone who attends UGA...

... I know this is a concept, so there's no reason to nit pick. But the silver britches, the stripes, and the single white helmet stripe, and the logo are TRADITION. Its nice to see the concepts, a sort of "what if", but these never would get close. Also, its hard to tell how much I like them because of how off the red seems.

The altered logo just doesn't feel like UGA, either do the helmets without the white stripe or the white facemasks. I know Donnan added a black stripe to the helmets when he was coaching, everyone hated them, and were glad when Richt returned to the classic style.

These are the same uniforms they have right now, just colors are switched around (logo, pants) and you added a second set of stripes for the pants, along with changing the helmet a bit. I would love to see what sort of concept you could do with UGA using a different uniform template, because if you're going to go with their classic uniforms, I think they should remain classic. They just look out of place, like one of the many high schools that choose to copy the UGA look.

As someone who attends UGA...

... I know this is a concept, so there's no reason to nit pick.  But the silver britches, the stripes, and the single white helmet stripe, and the logo are TRADITION.  Its nice to see the concepts, a sort of "what if", but these never would get close.  Also, its hard to tell how much I like them because of how off the red seems. 

The altered logo just doesn't feel like UGA, either do the helmets without the white stripe or the white facemasks.  I know Donnan added a black stripe to the helmets when he was coaching, everyone hated them, and were glad when Richt returned to the classic style. 

These are the same uniforms they have right now, just colors are switched around (logo, pants) and you added a second set of stripes for the pants, along with changing the helmet a bit.  I would love to see what sort of concept you could do with UGA using a different uniform template, because if you're going to go with their classic uniforms, I think they should remain classic.  They just look out of place, like one of the many high schools that choose to copy the UGA look.

I'm glad you understand the point of a concept, because a lot of people don't, and when they crit something that won't ever see the light of day, they bash it and dismiss it because it's different. On the other hand, I fully understand the tradition of college football, but sometimes, tradition is used as an excuse to keep an outdated design around.

What I try to do is update the tradition based on good design techniques. Barriers had to be broken when UGA adopted the red helmet after using the silver helmet, and barriers can be broken again to make a design better, or perfect, so it never again has to be changed. Penn State changed from gray facemasks to blue when te ability to do so became available. Design evolved, and Penn State changed, and now never has to change its uniform again becuse from a design standpoint, there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. It is perfect. Everything matches perfectly, and no matter how uniforms evolve, it is so versatile that it can litterally apply to any template.

This is the same reason I would change the sleeve stripes on Ohio State's and Iowa's jerseys. They don't match anything on the uniform, and they are a product of the 1960s. They are an outdated style in today's uniforms, and they are not a continuous and cohesive element of the uniform.

I realize these UGA uniforms are very similar to the current uniforms, but that's because I like keeping that tradition in my concepts. I think a concept has to know where it came from in order to go somewhere with success. This concept brings together every elment of the design while maintaining the traditional look associated ith UGA. The stripes, logo, and numbers are now white outlined in black, instead of a mix of white, white outlined in black, and black outlined in white. Contrast between the white jersey and silver pants is very low, so I increased that contrast by using red pants. And that is the official UGA red, but it is displayed very strangely, and different on all monitors, to boot.

Archived