Ot: expos staying in montréal in 2004

nitroseed

The Players Association requested that the franchise have one home city next year, so that's why they won't do the Montreal / San Juan shuffle next year.  The franchise will relocate as soon as MLB has searched under every rock for an owner with deep pockets who has unwavering support (ie: commitment for a new stadium) from a market that can support a major league team.  The only way they stay in Montreal is if they find a local ownership group that is willing to foot the bill for a new stadium, since it is doubtful they would get government funding and Olympic Stadium is one of the factors against keeping them in Montreal.

Although I think MLB is quite serious about letting the Expos continue to play in MTL next year, some part of me thinks this "leak" is a ploy by MLB to see if there's someone desparate enough to make a play for the team right now, before the schedule gets "locked in" and pay a premium price for it.

C'mon Chris, you know i don't live anywhere near DC... (Nor would i want to...)

But it's the obvious choice. That team, come hell or high water, will end up in DC, there is no doubt.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

It does seem somewhat strange to me that 'America's game' doesn't have a team playing in the nation's capital. A reborn Senators would be a good addition to MLB IMO.

American sports seem to have  a fascination with cracking new markets sometimes, at the expense of traditional old markets that have served the traditions of the game well!

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

It does seem somewhat strange to me that 'America's game' doesn't have a team playing in the nation's capital. A reborn Senators would be a good addition to MLB IMO.

American sports seem to have a fascination with cracking new markets sometimes, at the expense of traditional old markets that have served the traditions of the game well!

Traditions?  Washington Baseball Traditions?

Which tradition are you referring to?

Two franchise shifts in 11 years? or How about fans storming the field causing the Senators to forfeit their final game ever?

The Washington area has the Orioles, that's more than enough, why must U.S. cities have two teams while my entire nation can only have one?

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

I hope Baseball does the right thing and brings Baseball back to the nations capital. Washington DC is a baseball town just as much and then some as some of the other baseball cities. my question is this....Since Milwaukee left the American League, will Baseball realign and put the "Senators" in the AL East after all its an AL town...

yankeesfansd4.png91140975269.png

Isles1.gifirelandnw9.png

neyyorkjetsdj1.gif

sig3_605.jpg

chevroletij6.png

The traditionalist in me would like to see them stay in Montreal, but I don't seen anybody trying to keep them there.  With all the Canadians we have on this board, somebody tell me if there is anybody working on getting a stadium deal in place to keep them in Quebec.

The Washington area has the Orioles, that's more than enough
will Baseball realign and put the "Senators" in the AL East after all its an AL town...

two words: Redskins and Ravens. If the expos indeed relocate to DC they should stay NL because the Orioles are AL. It would generate interest when they play the "Beltway Series" during interleague play. the DC expos (or senators, whatever they would be called) would intensify thier rivalries with the other four NL east teams because DC is relatively close to philly and NY, atlanta always draws well and florida is becoming competitive again, thats blood baseball right there that gets lost in the cavern that is Olympic Stadium.

It does seem somewhat strange to me that 'America's game' doesn't have a team playing in the nation's capital.

absolutely. the nations capital SHOULD have a team representing it in the national game. Ottawa got the NHL back, why cant DC get MLB back? Of course the only way to get a team there right now is relocation because expansion is out of the question. the best solution is to relocate a fiscally struglling franchise that doesnt draw very well. and that franchise happens to be the expos.

The traditionalist in me would like to see them stay in Montreal, but I don't seen anybody trying to keep them there.

thats the whole reason why they should relocate to DC. its a shame for montreal, but like you said there is too much indifference on the city's part to whether or not the team leaves them. when the expos leave montreal the fans that will be crying betrayal and abandonment are the same ones that didnt do a damn thing to keep thier team, like oh, buy tickets to go to the games and buy merchendise? watch them on tv or listen to them on the radio? If they love thier team then they should make a better effort to save thier team.

People who think the Expos cannot survive in Montreal have been blinded and brainwashed by the media, which is normal.

I refuse to go through my list of points that prove the Expos can survive in Montreal again, it doesn't matter how many times I post it.

Bud Selig wanted the Expos out of Montreal, plain and simple, right from the beginning, anybody who takes a trip to Montreal will agree with me 100%.

But it's easier to watch from many miles away and say "they dont deserve a team" then to actually visit there and see why the turnout hasn't been too great in past years.

But as always, some people just cannot get enough, it's not enough to have one team anymore, gotta have two, or three, at the expense of another city, and legion of fans.

It's a sad world, everyone's just really greedy.

---

Chris Creamer

You blame Olympic Stadium. But that argument has already been proven as bull. Nassau Coliseum on Long Island is probrally the worst venue in sports. How often do you hear about the team being afraid to put up a new scoreboard because it may jeopardize the structual integrity of the venue? However, once the Isles starting winning, the stands were being filled.

And you even seen a slight increase in attendence in Montreal now that the team is doing well and in a Wild Card race. THe fans didn't stay away because of Olympic Stadium, they stayed away bwecause the Expos sucked. They use the Olympic Stadium argument as a crutch, but what it really is is lack of support for a bad team. And you can't blame fans for doing that. Comerica Park, a brandy-new stadium, and from all accounts a really good one. Yet you look at it, and it's empty as Olympic Stadium last year. Is it because of the stadium? Is Comerica keeping the fans away? Or is it the worst team since the '62 Mets that plays in the stadium?

Stadium argument = Nonsense

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

I blame the management of Olympic Stadium... go there, you'll see... the stadium itself is fine, it's the people that run it.

Attend one series at Olympic Stadium and you'll be convinced that someone in charge (Stadium owners? MLB?) doesn't want the Expos around.

---

Chris Creamer

Archived