Pirates new manager

black_gold_capone

In 3-4 years, some other re-tread is going to be the subject of a Pirates' new manager thread. Tracy's not going to make a damn bit of difference. The team doesn't pay their young players to keep them and don't want to pay big free-agent salaries. They're a grease fire...

Sad to say, but I just don't care. What's the record for consecutive losing seasons?

How about Ken Macha getting the door slammed in his face twice in a row now by the Buccos?

Im starting to get a bad feeling about Macha now. Im starting to think that If Torre is fired or resigns Macha may end up in pinstripes. Another A's loss to a large market team

Nah, we all know how well Art Howe did in New York and that was with the Mets. IF Torre gets fired he'll probably be replaced by Lou Pinella which would be the closest thing the Yanks could get to the return of Billy Martin...

The Pirates should've brought Jim Leyland back when they had a chance. He might not have fared any better than Tracy, but at least Pirate fans would be more inclined to go to the ballpark.

The problems that are the Pittsburgh Pirates can be summed up in one person, and it isn't Lloyd McClendon or anyone on the field. That person's name is Kevin McClatchy.

He's smart enough to get a new stadium deal, but dumb enough to not realize that you have to put a competitive product on the field to get people to come to that stadium more than once. He's smart enough to sign Jason Kendall and Brian Giles to long-term deals, but dumb enough to trade them off to California teams that allegedly can better afford their salaries.

The guy has access to literally BILLIONS of dollars, either of his own or through his family. Why he can't afford to put a competitive product on the field for a while and see what happens is beyond me. In 1989-92, the Pirates drew better than they ever had. In crusty old Three Rivers. Why? Because the team was COMPETITIVE. They WON 90-95 games a year. The club made money in 3 of those 4 years; the first time it had since the mid-70's allegedly.

Winning brings success with it. Spending money in baseball ultimately makes you more money. It's only too bad McClatchy doesn't get that.

Yeah Tracy

Good move

I wonder who they hire next year?

Tony LaRussa. :P

they wouldn't do that..they might actually finish over .500

dusty baker will probably be available though

Ouch!!

... but yeah, he'll probably be available. :(

Macha never wanted to come to the Pirates, I work with his niece so i knew the full story. He doesn't believe the management is commited to winning. (which is true) I'm just excited about a whole new coaching staff. No more Spin Williams!! Of course this also means I can't chuckle at "Rusty Kuntz" anymore.

The Pirates should've brought Jim Leyland back when they had a chance.  He might not have fared any better than Tracy, but at least Pirate fans would be more inclined to go to the ballpark.

The problems that are the Pittsburgh Pirates can be summed up in one person, and it isn't Lloyd McClendon or anyone on the field.  That person's name is Kevin McClatchy. 

He's smart enough to get a new stadium deal, but dumb enough to not realize that you have to put a competitive product on the field to get people to come to that stadium more than once.  He's smart enough to sign Jason Kendall and Brian Giles to long-term deals, but dumb enough to trade them off to California teams that allegedly can better afford their salaries.

The guy has access to literally BILLIONS of dollars, either of his own or through his family.  Why he can't afford to put a competitive product on the field for a while and see what happens is beyond me.  In 1989-92, the Pirates drew better than they ever had.  In crusty old Three Rivers.  Why?  Because the team was COMPETITIVE.  They WON 90-95 games a year.  The club made money in 3 of those 4 years; the first time it had since the mid-70's allegedly.

Winning brings success with it.  Spending money in baseball ultimately makes you more money.  It's only too bad McClatchy doesn't get that.

What McClatchy does understand is that when you have a shiny new ballpark constantly ranked among the top in the nation, you don't have to spend any money to get people to come out to the ballpark. The Pirates are a sadsack franchise and honestly, with the way things are being run now, I wish they would've moved the team.

Sigh. At least we have Jason Bay. :flagcanada:

Archived