Portland Purple Aces

BBTV

I happened to be browsing the requests board (a rarity because I really don't have the time / skill to satisfy any requests), and there was a request for a logo with the following guidelines:

Name: "Portland (ME) Purple Aces"

Colors: Purple, Silver, Gold

Sport: Baseball

Other: Modern look, font.

I happened to be bored at work, so I wipped this up using Microsoft Excel and word-art / autoshapes. I know that the line thicknesses may not be exact, and the centering may not be perfect, but I'm curious to hear what you all think.

c/c appreciated.

Secondary:

PPA.png

Primary:

PPA_Primary2.png

If the response is decent, and if I ever have more free time, I may do jerseys.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I gotta say that's the best word-art logo I have ever seen. Well, its the first word-art logo I have seen. Still, I like it, the secondary especially. I agree with the prior comments on the primary.

LT

Yeah, I hear you guys about the primary and the clutterdness. Maybe I should have ditched the oval shape and just focused on a good wordmark and worked the spade in somehow.

Anyway, THIS LOGO was also done using tons of auto-shapes and wordart. It is a bit more involved than the Aces logo. MS Office is frustrating, but you can do a lot with shapes (there's actually a lot of shapes that you can't identify in the logos, but they're needed to hide edges, or fill in gaps, or simulate layers.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

i like the alt, for some reason i dont like the primary.

I like them both. I think the issue with the primary may be that the baseball looks too plain (for lack of a better word). I have no idea what the limitations may be with Excel, but I think the stitching needs to be more obvious (it actually looks sort of like a tennis ball, which would fit the name) and the ball needs to look more 3-D somehow. Beyond that, you've hit the request on the head.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

The only thing I don't like is the grey in the oval, it doesn't blend well with the yellow. Other than that, nice work.

I totally agree with you. I actually mentioned in the request board that the logo might be better off with just purple and silver instead of adding the gold, but that was the requirement so I did it. Sometimes us designers have to work within certain boundries, 'naw mean?

Archived