New MLB Jackets Unveiled?

oakland ehs

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I ordered my Angels jacket on Sunday. It went on sale on mlb.com this weekend, I think. The Phillies, as well as a few other teams have been selling this jacket all season so it really isn't a new jacket.

By the way, I think this is called a Coach's Jacket. Maybe that is why I don't see any players on the bench wearing this jacket.

pMLB2-1973803reg.jpg

they look like high school lette jackets, with the sleeves in gold-leather, and a wool part in the teams normal colors-- also, the neck pattern is of the team, but with gold tint-- my guess is that material wise it's next year's jacket, but the gold is for a playoffs feel.

I think that leather color is called "natural."

I love 'em. Think they're beautiful.

About half of them are available now:

Coach's jackets

pMLB2-1974114dt.jpg

I like the "Est." detail. Looks like it's the cap logo for most, with the exception of Phils, Mets and Orioles (alt cap logos) and the Yanks and Cubs (jersey logos).

pMLB2-1973842dt.jpg

pMLB2-1973870dt.jpg

pMLB2-1974149dt.jpg

I'm guessing that there's nothing on the back.

I think it has a classic look, not a high school look . . . these were fairly common in the past. Here are several reproductions from the 40s and 50s.

mn1955.jpg

phil50ja.jpg

giantja.jpg

ind48ja.jpg

Now, just because these could be coming back doesn't mean you should all break out your high school letterman jackets.

I hope every manager doesn't wear those.

Only the ones to make it to the postseason (and Ned Yost in Milwaukee in April). :P

They're too warm to be worn during most of the season.

We're seeing the Angels' pitching coach wearing it - all the coaches are wearing the wool jackets, as are the pitchers.

On the old jackets I'm a fan of the detail around the pockets and if you look closely some are zippered jackets. The "Est." year is a nice touch on the new versions. I think this is to further strengthen ties to the past.

MLB might be trying to take advantage of the postseason ratings to push new merch . . . of course, wouldn't it have made sense to have the Yankees and Red Sox wearing these jackets also during the Division Series?

By the way, for some reason Mike Sciosia is not wearing the Coach's jacket. I wonder if it is a superstition?

oddly enough, concerning my own HS accomplishments, I have my letter and I own a letter jacket. Thing is, said letter jacket is a Michigan State one I got as a gift from my aunt, and my letter (a gold C trimmed in green, as well as my Case Eagles patch and 01 numerals) remains unattached to a jacket. It'll probably stay that way, though I can say one thing, I like these new dugout jackets.

for the hell of feeling like reciting the local schools' jacket choices, here goes:

my beloved Case: all green with leather sleeves, gold pinstriping on the collar and cuffs (guys' most popular option)

all green, sleeves are same material as torso, same collar and cuff as above (seems the girls go with this option a lot, I've never seen it on a guy)

green torso, yellow gold leather sleeves, thick gold stripes on collar and cuffs (I didn't see these out until I was a senior, and I see this style very rarely)

letter: gold C outlined in green and gold

initials: gold RC, usually over left pocket IIRC

numerals: latter half of graduating year (eg. 01), same colors as letter

Park: royal blue with white leather sleeves, blue collar and cuffs with orange and whtie trim (every Park guy and most Park girls i've seen have this jacket)

all royal (seems to be popular with girls, never seen a guy in it)

letters: orange P wiht white trim

initials: orange WP trimmed in white. the W stands for Washington, though most everybody in town refers to the school only as Park

numerals: full graduating year (eg. 2001), orange trimmed in blue on white background

Horlick: red with gray leather sleeves, gray stripes on red collars/cuffs

all red, same collar and cuffs

red with black leather sleeves, same collar/cuffs

don't really care how much I see this as long as it stays very little

letter: gray H with red trim

initials: gray WH (saintsfan69 probably heard of this fella, William Horlick)

numerals: latter half (eg. 01) in gray

St. Catherine's: black with white leather sleeves (only one I've seen)

letter: white C

initials: white SC

numerals: latter half in white (eg. 01)

Lutheran: purple wiht gold leather sleeves (again, only one I've seen)

letter: gold L

initials: gold RL

numerals: latter half in gold (e.g. 01)

then I've seen some other letter jackets from out of towners (Kenosha Bradford and Tremper, Burlington, Union Grove, et al) though my memory of most of those is fuzzy at best.

shoot, if I'd had my letter jacket I'd still be wearin it now cus I can...it's a free country, if you don't like it I'm sure Fidel's door is cracked open a bit ;)

(okay, I kid about the Fidel part, but still)

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

I can't wear my letter jacket anymore. Like a lot of guys, I suspect. But in my case, it's the shoulders. I was a small kid when I was in high school. Fifteen years later, my chest is five inches larger around than when I was eighteen, and my arms are at least an inch too long for the sleeves.

Ah, good old Tosa East. Red jackets with white sleeves, red and white trim, school name on the back and big red "W" on the chest. I lived in that jacket my junior and senior years.

I always wanted a Wisconsin letter jacket - red body and cuffs, cream sleeves and proud white block "W" on the chest. Never made it - didn't have the time when I got to Madison (and truth be told, don't know that I could ever have gotten close to varsity with all that competition).

i have the coolest SF Giants varsity jacket. actually, it's black wool with creme colored trim, and a leather PACBELL PARK logo on the back. i've had it for 4 years and get comments on it all the time. Gorgeous. And since I bought in the summer, it was like half off. Still cost a mint, tho..

Archived