All-Time Top 10 Bad A$$es in Sports

officeglenn

Found this article listing the ultimate sports bad-a$$ mofos: http://www.bullz-eye.com/sports/features/2...d_ass_mofos.htm

There's no question on the #1 (he was a bad-a$$ mofo before being a bad-a$$ mofo was cool), but T.O. at number nine? I didn't know whining and showboating qualified you to be classified as tough.

And no hockey players??? WTF? :hockeysmiley:

That list needs some Bob Probert or Sonny Liston, but this is a great selection:

Bob Gibson

Probably the last of the complete game intimidator pitchers. Can you imagine anyone pitching nine complete games in the World Series again? Nine! Gibson also holds the record with seven-consecutive World Series victories.

And there's that Bad Ass Mofo intimidator thing. Gibson simply owned the inside part of the plate. He once called his three best pitches "knockdown, brushback, and hit batsman." In 1963, he broke a rookie batter's collarbone with a pitch. Bobby Bonds once hit two home runs off Gibson in his first two at-bats, and feared for his life in the third: "I knew I was gonna get it." Gibson was quoted in "Late Innings" by Roger Angell, "I guess I was never much in awe of anybody. I think you have to have that attitude if you're going to go far in this game." In our current era of batters intimidating pitchers, Gibson makes you wonder about the pitchers mound, "Where have all the Bad Ass Mofos gone?"

Any list that excludes Arnold Palmer is flawed.

To wit:

1961 Pebble Beach Pro-Am: After double bogeying the par 3 12th hole, Palmer hits a hole-in-one on the par 4 13th, abruptly leaves the course to singlehandedly rescue a nearby beached whale and then returns in time to tee-off and birdie the par 4 14th.

1966 Masters: Distracted by the sound of clubs clicking in the bag, Palmer chokes the caddy of playing-mate Julius Boros into submission, heaves the bag an estimate 120 yards into the gallery and then tees off, hitting the green of the par 3 5th hole.

1985 Senior U.S. Open: While retrieving an errant tee shot, Palmer encounters a wayward elk. Concerned that the elk might come in contact with his ball, Palmer grabs it by the hindquarters, swings it over his head and toward the trunk of a pin oak tree, thus crushing the animal's skull. Using only a divot repair tool and a spike tightener, Palmer disembowels the elk and crafts a set of head covers for his woods, munching on elk entrails all the while. Course marshalls refuse to penalize him the requisite two strokes for fear that the blood-soaked Palmer will make them his next prey.

Now, I ask you, does not this legend of golf deserve a spot amongst these mere mortals?

The article is about bad asses, not "tough" guys, or all time greats. I don't agree with Larry Bird, Pete Rose, or T.O. (you have GOT to be kidding me). When I think "Bad Ass Muthafluffa" none of them come to mind. I think of people you'd be afraid to see on the street almost. However, it's nice to see someone do a list like this. :hockeysmiley:

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Β 

Jim Brown should have cracked the top 5!!!

staffordsigbuffda6.jpg

Owner of

Kalamazoo Tech Kobras (Nat'l College Fant. Assc. Basketball, Football, and Hockey)

2006-07 NCFAB National Champions

2006 NCFAF Midwest Conf. Champions

Rochester Patriots (Major League Hockey - AHL Fantasy League) 2005-06 Neilson Cup Champs

Detroit Black Panthers (Xtreme Hockey League) 2005-06 Yzerman Conference Champs

Sheldon Motorsports (TRAC) - #20 Guinness Chevy & #21 UPS Chevy #44 Syracuse University Chevy

Commissioner of

MLH (Major League Hockey, an AHL Fantasy League)

TRAC (Team Racing Auto Circuit, NASCAR)

Archived