Color Corrected Logos

TruColor

As I posted a while back on one of the many other boards, I have been going through (using Illustrator) a lot of the SLE's logos, and many other vector logos, and color-correcting the RGB values to match Pantone, Inc.'s RGB standards.

Apparently, a lot of Illustrator's users out there complain about the difference between the CMYK values and how they display on computer monitors and the correct RGB values.  This is why Pantone has established TWO standards - the CMYK's which are correct for 4-color printing, and RGB's which are correct for computer video.

What I've been doing is saving the source logos with a new name, changing the color mode from CMYK to RGB and if I actually have the correct Pantones, tweaking the RGB values to the correct values.  A lot of times, there is a dramatic difference in the look of the logo.  Especially in regards to the various shades of Purple for some reason.

Now, the problem with this would be that by doing this, the CMYK values get all out whack.  So, if you were to take this RGB-corrected logo and send it to a 4-color printer, it might come out all wrong.  However, they look great on screen.  I would like to eventually have TWO sets of logos - in both formats.

I've been working on these periodically off-and-on in between my REAL work (home business), but if there are any logos you would be curious to see, I'll send them to you.  However, the general rules apply - this is for our own use, and not for any commercial application (!).

???

Here's something I've always wondered: many MLB teams have logos with a royal or light navy blue in it, but their uniforms are a different shade, usually much darker.  The Yankees and Mariners come to mind.  When you list your official colors, is there a separate color for the logo blue and the uniform blue?

dbacks.gif mariners.gif

Yeah.  I separate my team colors in my database between solid colors, textile colors, thread colors, ink colors, etc.

For example, check out what the Yankees use for their Midnight Navy Blue in print:

NEW YORK YANKEES MIDNIGHT NAVY BLUE

And here is what they use in regards to the textiles:

NEW YORK YANKEES MIDNIGHT NAVY BLUE

Very different.  I'm not really sure why the Yanks don't go with a darker navy for print, but they didn't ask me...

:laugh:

Archived