Chase for AstroBowl II

TBGKon

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They're all okay, kinda, but none of 'em really made me think "USFL" when I saw them. I'm not usually this critical around here with designs, but being 30-something the USFL has a special place for me; consequently I take a harsher view, so my apologies if my comments offend anyone... I didn't look at who did what design to be honest; my opinions are based on the design I saw, not the designer. Anyway...

My props to whoever did the Arizona Wranglers. It's crisp, it's clean, and other than the color scheme its fairly close to what I'd envision the team would wear today. That design gets my 1st place vote, 3 points, etc.

The Birmingham Stallions design gets my 2nd place vote, but only because its original without straying too far from the 1983-85 Stallion design. But where's the GOLD?

My third place vote, but only because of the effort put into it, goes into whomever came up with the Denver Gold concept. I never thought much could be done with a team named the "Gold," and while again that's been proven true, this design is better than the one used by the team back in 1983.

The Bandits design left me flat. No change in the primary logo or helmet design at all, and a secondary "TB" crossed guns design that's, well, common. The jersey design sorta reminds me of the set the 49'ers wore in 1994. The one saving grace? The wordmark. Original, solid. Stands out, in a positive way.

The Invaders design deflated me as well. Changing the helmet to Navy blue from its original gold? Bad idea. Changing the hand holding the lightning bolt from white to gold, to make it the same color as the bolt itself? Bad idea. The idea of going with block letters with non-block numbers? Bad idea. The idea to extensively use navy blue on the helmets, then virtually not at all on the road jerseys? Bad idea.

Finally, we come to an abomination, at least as I see it: the New Jersey Generals. Ditching the red, white, blue and gold for... green, white and khaki? Okay, I get the thinking sort of, but the original color scheme was patriotic, while this one makes me think of M*A*S*H. Putting the five stars into a pentagonal shape was interesting for a second or two, but that doesn't evoke "Generals" to me as much as "Pentagon." The "NJ" tertiary mark? Unnecessary. This design either went way too far (with the changes), or not far enough (home's could've been SD Padre-style camo, etc.)

Again, no offense intended to anyone; unlike a lot of backslappers on the boards here, when I make comments, they're honest and not fawning.

nav-logo.png

as of the time of this post the standings are as follows:

Birmingham - 31

New Jersey - 28

Denver - 24

Arizona - 22

Tampa Bay - 16

Oakland - 11

There has been a change in the closing of the polls. Polls will now close at Thursday November 10th at 1 p.m.

The Bandits design left me flat.  No change in the primary logo or helmet design at all, and a secondary "TB" crossed guns design that's, well, common.  The jersey design sorta reminds me of the set the 49'ers wore in 1994.  The one saving grace?  The wordmark.  Original, solid.  Stands out, in a positive way.

As the designer of the Bandits concept, I've decided to provide a response to the Mad Mac's critique. I appreciate the thoughtful response you've given to each of the finalists. I agree, just stating something is great or terrible does nothing for the designer in improving his/her own work.

The contest was to show how a USFL team's identity would look today. In the four designs I submitted (Bandits, Federals, Wranglers, Invaders), the helmet logo stayed the same. Why? Because for the most part, helmet logos DO NOT CHANGE over time. As far as the Bandits goes, I alwayed loved the logo. Why would I mess with a good thing? The TB Bandits were consistently a playoff-calibre organization. In designing the uniform, I looked at the Bandits as a dynasty franchise. Furthermore, I feel the Bandits were a slightly bit more conservative, especially considering the western theme.

When developing the look, I envisioned the bandit on the horse as someone robbing a train. That is why I designed the wordmark as such. It has a rivoted-on, metallic look to it IMO. As for the crossed pistols with the TB, there isn't too much to work with. It doesn't take much to interchange imagery with the outlaws, gunslingers, gamblers, etc. Since the rider is carrying a pistol, I chose that element to work with.

I'm guilty as charged concerning the 49esque look to the jersey. I wanted a 50s retro-ish feel to the design, hence the font with dropshadow. The pant striping was changed to the single red band for the same retro feel, plus the helmet logo over the stripe gave color balance to the pants. It also never hurts to be different than Ohio State.

I find it interesting that you say that none of the designs have a USFL feel to it, yet you chose designs that strayed heavily away from the original look of the respective teams.

All of the designs I found to be well done. I just find your choices illogical, considering the criteria you stated.

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

1st=New Jersey Generals

2nd=Arizona Wranglers

3rd=Oakland Invaders

manning2.gif

BUSCH STADIUM III IS COMING,ARE YOU READY?

INDIANAPOLIS COLTS (12-4-0) NEXT GAME VS KANSAS CITY

TB LIGHTNING (19-20-2) NEXT GAME @ COLORADO

ATLANTA THRASHERS(24-12-6) NEXT GAME VS PHOENIX

COLTS BACK TO BACK PLAYOFF APPEARANCES 05-06/06-07

1. Gold (I've got some catching up to do!)

2. Bandits

3. Invaders

I love the Stallions one, but the rear haunches look like they're misaligned with the legs--up too high on the back if you will. It makes it look a little awkward to me. a couple anchor points moved 15-20 pixels to the left and it'd be my favorite.

The below to be updated once the newest banner is raised!
spacer.png

Archived