Mlb uniforms

wdm1219inpenna

I want to discuss the current caps and uniforms used in MLB.  I realize there's a similar post out there about "which team needs an update...", but I'm at work, and bored to tears.....

Growing up in the 70s, I only recall the Detroit Tigers having "home and away" caps, but in looking through the 20th century uniform pictures recently, I realize the Twins and Brewers also had home and away caps, which was interesting to me.

I have argued with my cousins for over 20 years too about the Brewers...and I STILL contend that their caps in the early to mid 70s and even early 80s were PURPLE, not BLUE....or at the very least a bluish PURPLE....

I wish the Red Sox would go back to the red caps with the navy blue bills on them, vs the all navy cap.  I am into the more colorful look I guess, or I'm still longing for the 1970s.  

The Padres uniforms were unique, with the gold and brown.  I wish they would incorporate that scheme again.  Perhaps that is what is being planned on in 2004.

Why do some teams (Seattle, Cleveland, Oakland, Cubs) just to name 4...have different caps for home and away?  I always wondered why the Atlanta Braves didn't adopt an all navy blue cap for road games, while keeping the reddish bill for the home games.

I'd also like to see the Orioles have "Baltimore" for their road uniforms, but from what someone told me years ago on another news group, they stopped doing that in 1972, after the Washington Senators Part II pulled up stakes and went to Texas, so as not to alienate the Washington DC fan base.

After 17 seasons, I'd like to see the Athletics do some changes to their uniform.  Seeing "Athletics" and "Oakland" written in cursive after 17 years has become rather dull and boring to me.  I'd like to see A's for home, and a block style "OAKLAND" for the road games, similar to what they had in 1981, except have white uniforms for home, and grey for the road.

Speaking of which, I wish MLB would only have white for home, grey on the road, period.  These "batting practice" jerseys being used in regular season games is just out of place to me.  I like colorful logos, and caps, but when it comes to the uniforms, let's be UNIFORM and have white for home, grey for the road, and 86 this "special sunday dark uniform" deal.

I've rambled on enough, I shall return to my dull and boring work here this Friday night.  

Regards,

Bill McD.

sigh......we go through this crap constantly regarding MLB uniforms....and Im gonna continue to rant on it until its beaten into the psyches of everyone's head....

there is NOT a single bad uniform in MLB right now. (okay, the pending new jays look being the lone exception) Nothing needs to be changed except maybe a few teams that need to put the city on thier road jerseys (cardinals, brewers, phillies, orioles) but even those jerseys look good.

just because something was unique doesnt mean it was good *coughpadrescough*. that was the absolute worst color scheme of all time. and thankfully from what we are seeing from the new ballpark in san diego, that it wont be making a comeback anytime soon.

leave modern baseball uniforms alone folks. okay rip the jays unis a new one all you want, but leave everyone else alone for chrissake!

Wait till you see the Blue Jays all-graphite (a very very dark grey, almost black) road jerseys in 2004... should look "neat" with the same colour pants

Chris:

Have you seen it yet? I've seen the LOGO, but nothing on the uniforms...my Jays contact would neither confirm nor deny the existence of the new logo when it was first rumored on this site...

Wait till you see the Blue Jays all-graphite (a very very dark grey, almost black) road jerseys in 2004... should look "neat" with the same colour pants

Chris:

Have you seen it yet? I've seen the LOGO, but nothing on the uniforms...my Jays contact would neither confirm nor deny the existence of the new logo when it was first rumored on this site...

there was a whole thread on it...even had the new jerseys

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

The different hats for home and away has actually been around as long as the game has.  In the early part of the 20th century, just about every team had 2 different hats.  By the 1930s it was mostly 1 hat per team, then around the mid 90s it started making a comeback.  Of course there were some teams during the drought from the 30s to the 90s that did have home and away hats, such as the Tigers, Twins, Pirates, Brewers, White Sox (mostly during the 70s).
dbacks.gif mariners.gif

Chris:

Disc:

I missed that one completely. I'm going to look for it now, but just in case I can't find it, could you direct me?

Thanks.

Chris:

Disc:

I missed that one completely. I'm going to look for it now, but just in case I can't find it, could you direct me?

Thanks.

Found it...ugh! :angry:

there is NOT a single bad uniform in MLB right now. (okay, the pending new jays look being the lone exception) Nothing needs to be changed except maybe a few teams that need to put the city on thier road jerseys (cardinals, brewers, phillies, orioles) but even those jerseys look good.

I don't think the Phillies need a city name on their away uniforms (I don't believe the Phillies or A's put PHILADELPHIA or even PHILA on their uniforms), but that's more because of the length of the city name than anything.  Plus, the nickname is unique to Philadelphia:  only a team from that city could be known as the Phillies at the major league level.  Regarding the Cards, I don't think the birds-on-the-bat would look as good with a script "St. Louis", but I could be wrong.  I totally agree with you on the Brewers and Orioles :)

QPR%20Sig.png

I don't think the Phillies need a city name on their away uniforms (I don't believe the Phillies or A's put PHILADELPHIA or even PHILA on their uniforms), but that's more because of the length of the city name than anything. Plus, the nickname is unique to Philadelphia: only a team from that city could be known as the Phillies at the major league level. Regarding the Cards, I don't think the birds-on-the-bat would look as good with a script "St. Louis", but I could be wrong. I totally agree with you on the Brewers and Orioles :)

The Orioles are said to be CONSIDERING (and they way they work CONSIDERING can take years) putting "Baltimore" back on their road jerseys.

One team that I would think about taking the city name off the road jerseys is the Giants. By the time you've crammed "San Francisco" on the front of the road jersey there's very little room left for anything.

I have argued with my cousins for over 20 years too about the Brewers...and I STILL contend that their caps in the early to mid 70s and even early 80s were PURPLE, not BLUE....or at the very least a bluish PURPLE....

According to my team color research so far, this is the primary Blue that the Brewers wore from 1970-1985:

MILWAUKEE BREWERS BLUE

I think (emphasis on THINK) that the Brewers MAY HAVE changed the color of the Blue in 1986 - I'm not real sure, but I have two different Pantones for the Blue "mb" logo:

MILWAUKEE BREWERS BLUE

The first Blue can look slightly Purple-ish, I guess...I would love to get this nailed down, but it's not real easy.

Archived