Skyreach centre no more

oilfaninvan

i was sitting here watching one of those marriage shows on TLC and these people met on the internet...what the hell am i doing? i'm actually WATCHING THIS?!?!? i'm watching a show about how a couple nerds met and fell in love. must kill self.

well, some of you may already know that Skyreach Equipment has not renewed their contract for sponsorship of the Edmonton Coliseum (it will always be Northlands to me). Skyreach Centre was a cool name because it didn't sound like a company name, most people didn't even know what skyreach was.  

the rumour at the moment is that there are two possibilities: Telus Centre (telus is a phone company like Bell)  or  The Epcor Coliseum (epcor is a local power company in edmonton, i was actually in a commercial of theirs last year as a young dude who gets ready in the morning, wow i'm a celeb)

there are also weak fan-boy rumours like Coca Cola, Mastercard and god forbid McDonald's.

2 questions for ya'll: 1) what is the coolest stadium tag; Centre (center), Forum, Arena, Dome, Stadium, Coliseum, Pond, Field, park.

2) what is your favourite sounding sponsored stadium? (not the actual stadium, just the name)

my answers are 1) Centre and 2) Arrowhead pond

this topic is really gay.

Vancouver 2010 Two Man Luge Gold Medalist.

http://www.geocities.com/oilfaninvan

Not a bad little poll

1) Coliseum. It give an feeling of prestige, immediate coolness.

2) Ford Field. I dunno why. I don't even like Ford. But.. it just.... i think it fits overall. I like the way it sounds, i like the way it looks. Now just hack the roof off of the place and we'd be set...

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

1) Garden(s). You didn't list it, I picked it for the same reasons JQK picked Coliseum. Coliseum and Forum are my runners-up, and Arena since it's where hockey is played so a stadium with that name doesn't try to mask what it is.

2) Ford Field. I agree with JQK on this one (even with the not-liking-Ford). It's a very simple, unobtrusive name. Not like the St. Pete Times Forum or any of the ridiculous ones like Invesco Field at Mile High, Oriole Park at Camden Yards, the Ballpark at Arlington or the Palace of Auburn Hills. I disagree with JQK about the roof, though. A football stadium in Detroit has to have a roof. Not a dome, though, which is what makes Ford Field so great.

Yeah, ease up on yourself.  This is far from the gayest topic ever.

I kind of like Park.  And subsequently I think Miller Park sounds nice.  But I hate that place and park can only really apply to baseball so nevermind.

I can't think of a sponsored name I really like though.  I much prefer all the hometown nicknames.  Shark Tank, Phone Booth etc.

I guess Wrigley Field is a pretty cool sponsored name too.

Garden(s) is cool too.  Boston, Madison Square.  

I guess I really only dislike Dome.  Unless its Saddledome I dont like any of those.

The Official Cheese-Filled Snack of NASCAR

I guess I would go with Field as a tag for a sports stadium, kinda classy without over egging it!

I like The Great American Ballpark as a name, although I rather fancy that won't last too long, for much the same reason Skyreach pulled out! No-one will realise its a sponsorship tie-in!

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Great American Ballpark is the best corporate name, I was also a fan of the Great Western Forum... it wasn't until a visit to the U.S. in 1997 that I realised "Great Western" was actually a company.

Can we include "Wrigley Field" and "Busch Stadium" as corporate named stadiums too?

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Okay, I'm a dolt.  What kind of company IS Great American, if they've got their (albeit) unobtrusive name on the park in Cincy?

As a side note, the Ballpark in Arlington is rather well-named, I think...

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Okay, I'm a dolt.  What kind of company IS Great American, if they've got their (albeit) unobtrusive name on the park in Cincy?

As a side note, the Ballpark in Arlington is rather well-named, I think...

it is well named, but not corporate named

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Actually, I believe it's: http://www.greatamericaninsurance.com/

On the Reds' page about the stadium, there is this timeline piece:

7/7/00: Great American Insurance purchases the naming rights for the Reds' new ballpark.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

I usually call the Metrodome the Hefty Dome.

The Xcel Energy Center in St. Paul has become "the X" around here.

The old Saint Louis Arena was the "old barn on Oakland," back in the day.

And I still call the arena the Blues play in Kiel.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Locally in Bakersfield, CA we have the Centennial Garden. It was opened in '96 (the Centennial of Bakersfield's founding, DUH!). This is a very classic name in many respects, and best of all, IT'S NOT CORPORATE SPONSERED!!! I usualy refer to it as "the Garden". So, obviously, I like Garden.

NASCAR. Done. |

nextel_cup_logo.JPG

yeah i forgot about gardens oops that one is good. and i completely forgot about nicknames!!

here in beautiful vancouver, the canucks play in GM place and it's commonly refered to as "the garage".

back in the day before Skyreach Centre was named, there was a few years where it didn't really have a name because the city bought it from Northlands, so it was the Edmonton Coliseum (by default) so people were calling a few names like "the derrek", "the rig", or my fave "the lube dome"

where is the phone booth? is that MCI in wash dc?

the great thing about Skyreach Centre was that there was no nickname, you couldn't skirt around the corporate name. the only nickname it really ever got was simply "skyreach". "hey let's go to skyreach"

i just hope they don't call it "the pampers arena"

Vancouver 2010 Two Man Luge Gold Medalist.

http://www.geocities.com/oilfaninvan

Wrigley Field was named after the person, not the product.  But since the product was named for the same guy it's understandable why there would be confusion.  Corporate names on stadiums used to be a no-no in MLB.  A story to illustrate . . .

Back in the 50's, when Gussie Busch bought the Cardinals and the stadium known as Sportsman's Park, he wanted to rename the place Budweiser Stadium.  MLB vetoed the proposal (why MLB had jurisdiction over the ability to name a piece of real estate is beyond me), so Gussie did the next best thing and used his family name instead.  Just so happens to be the same name as another product sold by his company, but it passed MLB's muster nonetheless.  However, now that the stadium and the team are owned by others and the stadium name is the same (and the lettering on the stadium is the same as on the Busch can), I guess you can say Busch Stadium is truly a corporate name.

Coliseum would have to get my vote.  I am a bit biased here, the home arena for my fantasy league hockey team (Indianapolis Racers -- DMSL) is called Marsh Coliseum (it's named after a chain of grocery stores in the Indy area, but the name doesn't sound corporate)...

QPR%20Sig.png

This whole giving your arenas nicknames is something we brits never got into really! Some have more respectful kinda nicknames (Lords is the home of cricket for instance) But no-one has ever really got into giving them nicknames!

Has anyone called Heinz Field the Soup Bowl yet?? Please tell me they have!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

This whole giving your arenas nicknames is something we brits never got into really! Some have more respectful kinda nicknames (Lords is the home of cricket for instance) But no-one has ever really got into giving them nicknames!

Has anyone called Heinz Field the Soup Bowl yet?? Please tell me they have!!!!!!!!!!!!

Doesn't Leicester City play in Walker's Stadium? (Walker's is the Frito-Lay's brand in the UK I believe) I heard they were about to call it the Walker's Bowl! That would have been classic! :D

Heniz Field = The Soup Bowl, nice touch, but Heinz is better known for ketchup than soup. If it was Campbell's, then I think the Soup Bowl would have been more appropriate.

Speaking of Pittsburgh, ESPN's page 2 section rated PNC Park the best ballpark in MLB.

I saw, I came, I left.

Archived