"Ballpark" has a nice ring to it

best corporate: Great American Ballpark, Coor's Field

Football:

"Field"

best corporate: Reliant Stadium, Ford Field

Basketball/Hockey:

"Centre"

best corporate: Xcel Energy Center

The worst Corporate names of all time: Network Associates Coliseum, Invesco Field @ Mile High, and US Cellular Field

This is so stupid this why Copperate Sponsors suck they are changed way too often one month you are syaing First Union Center then the next mont its the Watchamacall it center

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

There was a recent proposal in Australia to rename an AFL venue as 'Crazy John's Stadium' (Crazy John's being a cashed-up mobile phone retailer). I think you can guess what the consensus was on the matter.

That ground's real name is Subiaco Oval, but it's nickname is 'The House of Pain' :D

Well, I'm not sure about the best, for for baseball, I prefer Stadium, football deserves Field (although coliseum has a nice gladiator like ring to it) and old time hockey can keep Garden alive.  

As for personal fave, I like the fact the Royals changed to Kaufman (the K) - in respect for the owner who kept his millions and baseball team in town, along with a countless number of charities helping out all aspects of life in that town.  A rare, classy, non-money driven moment in today's professional sports.  

The worst has to be the National Car Rental Center.  In Florida of course.  How awful a name is that?  Also, I know the Civic Center in Providence was renamed a few years ago the 'Dunkin Donuts Center'.  The place is actually a functioning, small and intimate arena, not a hole.

The coolest facility tag depends on the rest of the name.  Wrigley Field sounds quaint, colloquial, homey.  Wrigley Park would give a similar field.  Wrigley Stadium or Wrigley Coliseum, however, would've probably met a wrecking ball by now.  Sounds ridiculous, but it absolutely makes a difference to the ear.

And my favorite sounding sponsored facility?  Sorry.  There is no such thing.  They all pretty much suck at the same level to me.

nav-logo.png

The coolest facility tag depends on the rest of the name.

yeah, national car rental arena sounds like a sports venue, not an actual national centre where you go to rent cars.

i don't know if this is a corporate sponsor, or named after someone, but the worst stadium HAS to be the Gaylord Entertainment Arena in nashville. (i think it's 'arena' not centre?)

ha how mature. but it's still funny.

Vancouver 2010 Two Man Luge Gold Medalist.

http://www.geocities.com/oilfaninvan

This whole giving your arenas nicknames is something we brits never got into really! Some have more respectful kinda nicknames (Lords is the home of cricket for instance) But no-one has ever really got into giving them nicknames!

Has anyone called Heinz Field the Soup Bowl yet?? Please tell me they have!!!!!!!!!!!!

Doesn't Leicester City play in Walker's Stadium? (Walker's is the Frito-Lay's brand in the UK I believe) I heard they were about to call it the Walker's Bowl! That would have been classic! :D

He he yeah! Most new stadiums made in Britain are given corporate names nowadays. I guess if its the only way to get quality sports arenas then fair enough! Somehow the names lack something though!

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

There was a recent proposal in Australia to rename an AFL venue as 'Crazy John's Stadium' (Crazy John's being a cashed-up mobile phone retailer). I think you can guess what the consensus was on the matter.

That ground's real name is Subiaco Oval, but it's nickname is 'The House of Pain' :D

Ha! Ha! I heard about that one! Crazy John's Stadium... There is a mobile phone company here in Canada called Fido, so we can nickname the stadium the 'doghouse' or something.

Say, shouldn't the nickname of Subiaco Oval be renamed 'House of Mild Sprains' since Essendon beat Fremantle last weekend! :D

See the Bombers fly up, up..... :D

I think the best name for a corporate arena/stadium is America West Arena. Just sounds right to me and it has been around a while, so kudos to America West for staying afloat unlike Air Canada, United, US Airways etc.....

BTW: Notice anything funny here?

http://www.theaircanadacentre.com/

I saw, I came, I left.

U.S. Cellular field has been referred to as "The Cell," and given the security problems they've had over the last couple of years, it's really appropriate.

Of course, a lot of people in Chicago just chuckle whenever the Sox are mentioned.

The University of Louisville plays at "Papa John's Cardinal Stadium."  I think it's hilarious how they kept the "Cardinal" in there.

And the University of San Diego plays in the Jenny Craig Pavilion.  I can't imagine a less intimidating name for a sports venue.

--Eriq.

1) Centre. Just like Centre 200, the arena here in Sydney N.S., which is, as far as I can tell, the only arena name to start with the word Centre (unless you count Le Centre Bell in Montreal) and end with a number as well.

http://www.centre200.ca

2) Hmmmm....I'd probably say the Hewlitt Packard Pavillion in San Jose, because the Hewlitt Packard sounds like maybe some guy who founded the place and Pavillion sounds like a cool name for a building.

Anyone else think that the Corel Centre in Ottawa should be renamed the Corel Coliseum?

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

Anyone else think that the Corel Centre in Ottawa should be renamed the Corel Coliseum?

Wasn't the original name of the arena the Palladium? So how about the Corel Palladium? Does anyone have a pic of the Palladium logo?

I saw, I came, I left.

Wasn't the original name of the arena the Palladium? So how about the Corel Palladium? Does anyone have a pic of the Palladium logo?

It would be nice for them to switch the Centre to one of those other choices, but Corel would never, as they know people would just call it "the coliseum" or "the palladium", noone would call it "the centre", too vague

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Here in Winnipeg, the new arena is being referred to as the True North Center.  Currently, there is no sponsorship or corporate name attached to it.  But, this will probably change.

The Goldeyes' ballpark is CanWest Global Park.

Winnipeg Stadium's naming rights were bought by Canad Inns, a local hotel chain, it is now (obviously) Canad Inns Stadium.

CRISWELL PREDICTS that Nutty Club will purchase the naming rights to the new arena, thereby letting it be called the Candyman Can, keeping the "CANadian" theme running throughout Winnipeg!

Canadians will get this more than anyone.  I'll explain it to anyone else, but it might take awhile...

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Archived