Oregon Chinook

andrewharrington

Does not look enough like a Salmon to me.. good idea just not connect to me. Looks more like a Catfish then a Chinook. I think it is drawn well just not close enough to the real thing if you know what I mean.

here are some pics..different cycles. FYI- it is the hook nose that I always think about when I think of Salmon. Sorry I am from north of Seattle and my wife loves to go see the Salmon runs, plus the some get really red the closer the get to spawning.

Chinook-Salmon.jpg

salmon_spawn_1.jpg

and i always like these images when it floods around here..(salmon crossing roads)

salmon_road_111902.jpg

here is a link to a better pic of a salmon crossing a road...

http://www.lucreations.com/images/salmon_x_the_road.jpg

The hook nose was not reading well from this persepctive, since the viewer would be almost looking up into it. I included other trademark salmon characteristics to compensate, like the concave curve on top of the face, and the colors, obviously. I may try to go back and add black spots along the top, but the jury is out on that as of press time here.

Sometimes, you must take artistic license to achieve your goal, which, ultimately, is to create a great logo. I don't think this is great, but it is some of my best work at this point. A logo does not always need to look exactly like its real-life counterpart to succeed. If it did, photos would suffice as logos, and logo design wouldn't be a career. Anyway, I appreciate your comments and critique. I don't really see the catfish comparison, though. :P

Oh, and I saw what you said about them getting red near spawning, but you probably understand that making this logo just red and black would have been for the worse. A lot of your suggestions would have taken more away in design than they would have added in realism. That's what artistic license is all about.

Tempest, I just wrote a critique last week saying someone's art was too realistic. Now I'm gonna seem like a bastard when I say I think yours needs to be more realistic. Or to put it better; be based more on realistic salmon features. Don't get me wrong, I think this style is fantastic, but I have to agree somewhat with Hobogrish that is needs to be more "salmon-y". Maybe fatter on the bottom, fix the fin on top a bit. You are close, and I like the font/wordmark integration.

I really like the overall look of this. I'd especially love to see uniforms. (Salmon colored hats!) Critiques:

1. The fish isn't quite working for me. The top fin is distractingly off, and the overall shape needs to be a bit more torpedo-y. Or torpedo-ish. Smoother, flowing into the head more. Also, the tail completely lacks a salmon's distinctive profile. A salmon's body kind of hangs from its spine, a bit chubbier than you've got, and at the tail it looks like the tail sticks out the top, instead of the whole body just fading into the tail, as with many fish. Get the shape a bit more right and it will really sell the whole concept.

2. I would love to see how your wordmarks look with the kind of speckling across the top that you see in the "spawning male" photo higher in this thread. I could see that taking this logo from "pretty darn good" to "un-freakin-believably awesome." As long as it didn't make it look like the Bengals. Either way, it seems an experiment worth trying.

The hook nose was not reading well from this persepctive, since the viewer would be almost looking up into it. I included other trademark salmon characteristics to compensate, like the concave curve on top of the face, and the colors, obviously. I may try to go back and add black spots along the top, but the jury is out on that as of press time here.

Sometimes, you must take artistic license to achieve your goal, which, ultimately, is to create a great logo. I don't think this is great, but it is some of my best work at this point. A logo does not always need to look exactly like its real-life counterpart to succeed. If it did, photos would suffice as logos, and logo design wouldn't be a career. Anyway, I appreciate your comments and critique. I don't really see the catfish comparison, though. :P

Tempest...

I understand artistic license, but you have to draw on the things that make the characterics of the object you are trying to communicate. Don't get me wrong I think it is well excuted drawing, just not one that communicates a Salmon, especially a Chinook. I say, "Catfish" because the mouth is that of a bottom feeding fish or what you might charterize of a bottom feeder. Wide jaw, upturned bottom lip.

A Chinook is has very different look to it, even then the rest of the Salmon that you see in runs.

I mentioned the red because this what your coloring reminded me of. Not as a knock. The funny thing is when they turn red it is in the final days of life. Just a side note.

Anyways here is your same drawing just with a hook, artistic license used, even through it real life it might not be visable or slightly visable. Plus I added hints of the specs on the back of the fish.

salmon.jpg

Again, I think the quality is A+ just needs to be tweaked to convey the acutal fish. More like a characture then anything. Ballwonk as more things you might consider to that I did not address with they quick example, I just want to address the hook nose ...

I think it's perfect. I don't know much about fish, nor how salmon look, so to me, it looks great. Most people probably don't know the slightest of what a salmon truly looks like. I think the criticism here about the fish looking 'not enough like a salmon' is unnecessary. 90% of the people viewing this logo aren't going to say 'Hey, that's not a chinook, the fin is further up than it should be, and the mouth is off too!'

There's many logos like this in real life, where the logo doesn't follow exact suit to its real life counterpart. Too many to list.

Tempest's right--we as designers have the artistic license, nonetheless a responsibility, to create a strong logo. It's tough to make a chinook look intimidating--Tempest did just that, without applying a cartoony image. It doesn't have to be an exact reflection.

I think you accentuated enough specific salmon characteristics to convey the image, though the version with the hook-nose is even more Salmon-y. I really like the overall look and the color scheme, though, and would love to see the uniform concepts.

Ye have asked, and now ye shall receive . . . a job, that is.

Here are some simple updates to the chinook logo. The first fish features a more anatomically correct dorsal fin. I like this change. The second fish features a more anatomically correct tail. I am neutral on this change. The thid fish features the hook mouth. This is my least favorite change, but I wouldn't say I hate it. The bottom three are identical, except for the inclusion of spots. I like this change, as well.

Now, I need to know which version or combination thereof does the best job at communicating the message, according to you, the audience. I'd appreciate seeing some crit as well from some of you big-shots that've been hiding out. :P I really appreciate the critique you guys give on things like this. I think some of these changes took a good logo to the next level and made it even better.

Also, would you like to weigh in with you opinion on which you like best, gordie_d? Since this is your fantasy team and all? :D

chinookchoices.gif

I love the design, but it unfortunatly looks to me more like a pike than a salmon. If you were to fatten the belly and maybe try reversing the colours making the fish silver and blue, and type set bronze it may make an improvement. Living in Vancouver i have done a lot of salmon fishing myself, red salmon are on there final days, they have already spawned and are now nothing else but fertilizer. A Silver salmon is healthy and strong.

True, but thinking about your average fan, are they going to associate a silver-colored fish with salmon or a salmon-colored one? Maybe the salmon is red because it's in its final days, and thus is so angry that it's really pumped up to play a game of baseball! Maybe not, but I just don't know if it's feasible for the fish not to be salmon-colored, with the average fan in mind.

I suppose the final verdict it up to gordie_d. It's true that a healthy chinook salmon is a silvery green or blue as opposed to salmon and red, and I can assure you that the concept looks great in both color schemes, but which is preferred? The current Blue/Silver/Black/Salmon/Red or a Green/Silver/Black scheme? I'll post when I get a chance.

Tempest.

1st I like the updates, excellent job.

2nd - Thanks for taking the suggestions as that and not a personal attack on your work.

I have noticed that people ask for them and then some get upset for various reasons. You should be commended for taking them and deciding which ones you felt you should address and to what degree.

I would also like to say, that looking at the hook now, it is almost an illusion like this: young1.jpg

It tends to look like the other side of the mouth... so even though I thought you needed it, I now don't know..I don't know if there is a way to make it more obvious it is a hook or not.

3rd - Looks good, Gordie D should be a happy camper.

gordie_d is a V E R Y happy camper! in fact, i dont think gordie_d has ever been this happy of a camper! andrew that work is AMAZING and i'm looking forward to your email. As far as the fish colour is concerned, well, I agree with you that joe blow fan is not going to understand that it's a salmon unless its pink and red. So I think that's the way to go with it, but we'll see, if you decide you want to do that. Honestly, it's really up to you and what you think works the best, but I'm with you on that one. I think you could achieve the hook effect if you were only to make it jut out a bit more from where you have it - it kinda looks like a sharp corner on the mouth, rather than the distinctive hook. I dunno, if you think that helps, great, if not, don't worry about it, its better than i could do anyway lol. I really haven't featured the fish much in the uniforms I've designed, pretty much going with the wordmarks on Black, Blue, and Silver. But who knows, I may change my mind. Thanks again for all of your hard work on this, tempest, its been awesome!

Archived