New Miami Hurricanes Basketball Black Alternate

praeda

Ok, I am a pseudo designer here. I do graphic design, but yet have never taken an art class.

So, real artists please feel free to contribute and critique what I am about to say.

White is the absence of all colors. Black is the presence of all colors.

Therefore, black and/or white can never be an official color.

So, I usually don't mind black jerseys... sometimes people don't realize that white is also a neutral color, and that the school colors can go with black.

But, the presence of both black and white in a jersey makes no sense! When you add both black and white, it drowns out the real colors, and just proves it to be a marketing ploy.

Bottom line. These jerseys are ugly.

This is another index case for "Unnecessary Addition of Black Where It Does Not Belong", along with the Lions and Eagles' NFL alts.

Miami already had exceptionally unique colors with green, white and orange. Besides FAMU, I can't think of another college or pro team that uses these colors exclusively. On top of that unique color scheme, Miami has developed its look as among the most progressive, modern designs being worn. They simply didn't need to add a color (let's not argue semantics, Prov... what colors do your beloved Friars wear? <_< ) that has not had any association with the university or its athletic teams. It wasn't even a trim color; now here it is as the body of a jersey.

Miami is already one of the most marketable NCAA teams, and one of the easiest to identify by its identity package. Why conform?

Dumb, just dumb.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Backwards. Black is the absence of color, white presence of all.

And yes, these jerseys suck. As does "The U" in general. <_<

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

As a fan of the "U" I must say that this is lame and unneeded. They don't have black as a color and their colors go nicely together. How about a white one, an orange one, and a green one? That's enough.

KISSwall09.jpg

Miami never fails to underwhelm. Bring on the black-on-black football jerseys with green and orange accents!

Needs more diamondplate.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

As a fan of the "U" I must say that this is lame and unneeded. They don't have black as a color and their colors go nicely together. How about a white one, an orange one, and a green one? That's enough.

I agree. This black jersey is unneccessary. They should have an orange one, with white numbers outlined in green.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Backwards. Black is the absence of color, white presence of all.

I'm no geniuis on this subject (though I've taken bunches of HS art classes and will take more in college), but I believe you guys are both right, depending on the source of color.

When talking about light, black is the absence of color, white is all colors. However, when talking about pigment, white is the absence of color and black is all colors.

It confuses me.

Regardless, I don't think the neutral color thing fits team colors.

Although it doesn't have to be listed as an official color, IMO, white is always a team color because a team always has a white jersey. As such, they should never exclude using white on other jerseys.

Now, like everything, there are exceptions. For instance, some teams use a cream instead of white, or stuff like that. That's fine, but use cream everywhere you would use white.

Black on the other hand is not a color that every team has to have. It is a color like any regular color (red, blue, green, etc.), and it should always be listed as an official color if it is used. That doesn't mean it shouldn't ever be an official color, but if it is ever used by a team it needs to be used like that team would use any other official color.

Without reading this article, that Miami jersey sucks. Not because it's black, but because it's dull. When Duke had a black jersey and no other black in their uniform, it seemed out of place, but the jersey itself looked nice. I know a lot will disagree with me, but I felt the same about the old Oakland A's alts. Out of place, but taken by itself, nice looking. I kind of feel/felt that way about the Florida Gators black alts as well. Unnecessary and out of place, but the black worked find with the royal blue and orange. However, with Miami, they blew it. It's not that the black can't work with the orange and green, but they didn't make it work, and that's my problem. You could fill in the black with green and not change any thing else, and the jersey would look decent to good.

Any time a color is so un-intertwined with the rest of the jersey design that it can be removed and not affect anything, your likely to find a poor design and distribution of colors.

I'm no genius on this subject (though I've taken bunches of HS art classes and will take more in college), but I believe you guys are both right, depending on the source of color.

When talking about light, black is the absence of color, white is all colors. However, when talking about pigment, white is the absence of color and black is all colors.

Sort of.

When we look at something red, it's because we see the red pigment. We see the red pigment (on a stop sign, for example) because all colors EXCEPT red are absorbed, and red is reflected. So, a surface that reflects ALL colors is perceived as a white surface, since it absorbs none of the colors. Conversely, a surface/pigment that absorbs every color is black, since none of the colors are reflected.

As far as light goes, you're right on - white light is a mixture of every wavelength of color, in equal proportions.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Ok, I am a pseudo designer here. I do graphic design, but yet have never taken an art class.

So, real artists please feel free to contribute and critique what I am about to say.

So, I usually don't mind black jerseys... sometimes people don't realize that white is also a neutral color, and that the school colors can go with black.

But, the presence of both black and white in a jersey makes no sense! When you add both black and white, it drowns out the real colors, and just proves it to be a marketing ploy.

i'm a providence fan too, but arent their jerseys black and white?

i'm a providence fan too, but arent their jerseys black and white?

yes, that's why they should be the only team in the big east with black jerseys.

their colors are black and white. the greatest colors in all of college sports.

miami's colors are green, oange and white. that's why they shouldn't have black unis.

Shame on Miami and shame on Nike... a complete disconnect from their identity. Let's make the McDonald's Golden Arches black, too... Just Don't Do It.

Too many granola eating (EKIN's) egotists in rain drenched Portland these days.... Time to "blackball" Nike...

Gameplan | A Strategy for Achieving an Objective.

It says its their new road jersey. So what is the alternate?

And didnt they have a green road jersey and an orange alternate last yr?

Like the poorly designed uniform, the press release leaves much to be desired too. I believe that this is an alternate not a new road because of this sentence in the release - "Nike Team Sports, which outfits the Hurricanes with basketball attire, incorporated the new black uniform this season to go with the familiar home white and road green." Now might Miami wear the black uniforms 90% of the time on the road like Duke did from 1999-2003 (also known as when I was a student)? Absolutely. But at least from their press release, it seems that green is still the road.

Black is the absence of color

White is all colors.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Archived