St. Louis Cardinals Concept

AAO

Okay, while I am definitely not a designer of any caliber whatsoever, I think the problem isn't so much that you have a certain house style, it's that your house style is so rigid and leaves so little room to deviate that all your logos, as fantastic as they are, become quickly repetitive.

This is not just your problem of course. Just look at all the comments in the Sports Logo's forum whenever a new Phoenix Design Works logo is unveiled. It's the same deal. You have Phoenix-itis.

All the same, you'd be one of the guys I'd go to here if I wasn't stubborn enough to keep cranking out shoddy half-assed logos for my fantasy teams by myself.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Against All Odds -

I am also not a designer by any means. Your skills in preparing these concepts are to be commended. That said, I agree with other posters that this concept does not say "baseball", but looks more like an AZ Cardinals logo or a college logo. The St. Louis Cardinals "birds on the bat" logo is such a timeless logo, I can't imagine the team ever changing. So...how about working with the "birds on the bat" concept to create a new version of that logo? Something with "racier" birds and a different wordmark style for the "Cardinals" word below the bat? With your skills it would be interesting to see what you could come up with here. Hope to see you take this up!

Against All Odds -

I am also not a designer by any means. Your skills in preparing these concepts are to be commended. That said, I agree with other posters that this concept does not say "baseball", but looks more like an AZ Cardinals logo or a college logo. The St. Louis Cardinals "birds on the bat" logo is such a timeless logo, I can't imagine the team ever changing. So...how about working with the "birds on the bat" concept to create a new version of that logo? Something with "racier" birds and a different wordmark style for the "Cardinals" word below the bat? With your skills it would be interesting to see what you could come up with here. Hope to see you take this up!

That's a really good suggestion. I just don't like modernizing original looks, but branding my own ideas, starting from scratch. I don't think you were around when the MLB redesign proj started, but most if not all, except the Red Sox set i did, veered fully away from tradition. I even scrapped grey jerseys altogether.

But I could see myself coming up with a modernization to the current set, so i'll definitely try that.

Against All Odds -

I am also not a designer by any means.  Your skills in preparing these concepts are to be commended.  That said, I agree with other posters that this concept does not say "baseball", but looks more like an AZ Cardinals logo or a college logo.  The St. Louis Cardinals "birds on the bat" logo is such a timeless logo, I can't imagine the team ever changing.  So...how about working with the "birds on the bat" concept to create a new version of that logo?  Something with "racier" birds and a different wordmark style for the "Cardinals" word below the bat?  With your skills it would be interesting to see what you could come up with here.  Hope to see you take this up!

That's a really good suggestion. I just don't like modernizing original looks, but branding my own ideas, starting from scratch. I don't think you were around when the MLB redesign proj started, but most if not all, except the Red Sox set i did, veered fully away from tradition. I even scrapped grey jerseys altogether.

But I could see myself coming up with a modernization to the current set, so i'll definitely try that.

Excellent - looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

With Ian's permission I put the Cardinals logo on a helmet. Lots of folks have been saying it belongs in football, so here it is. If you don't like the stripes or mask, fine. It's just to show the logo in a football sense.

I like it

IansCards.jpg

that would be a vast improvement for the louisville cardinals...do you think you could make it red and black and maybe reduce the pointiness at the back of the bird and see what it would look like as a louisville helmet? i'd be interested to see it.

Also i really like the idea of a modernized birds on bat look...while i wouldnt want the cards to actually use it, i would like to see what you come up with.

and my favorite suggestion of all is using that logo set as a redesign for the memphis redbirds seeing as how their current logo says nothing about a bird at all.

Ian, you do solid work and i really enjoy seeing what you come up with, maybe your stuff is similar but all artists have a style and breaking out of that mold comes with experience. Keep it up.

Cards08.jpg

World Champions: 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006

With Ian's permission I put the Cardinals logo on a helmet. Lots of folks have been saying it belongs in football, so here it is. If you don't like the stripes or mask, fine. It's just to show the logo in a football sense. 

I like it

IansCards.jpg

that would be a vast improvement for the louisville cardinals...do you think you could make it red and black and maybe reduce the pointiness at the back of the bird and see what it would look like as a louisville helmet? i'd be interested to see it.

Also i really like the idea of a modernized birds on bat look...while i wouldnt want the cards to actually use it, i would like to see what you come up with.

and my favorite suggestion of all is using that logo set as a redesign for the memphis redbirds seeing as how their current logo says nothing about a bird at all.

Ian, you do solid work and i really enjoy seeing what you come up with, maybe your stuff is similar but all artists have a style and breaking out of that mold comes with experience. Keep it up.

i uh... concur

quinn_samardzija_sig.jpg

As a lifelong Cardinals fan , I was pumped to see this topic headline. I really think this look is sharp , but I agree that I doubt the Cards would ever seriously take a modern look. I like the white STL moniker with the arches better than the other. This look is SHARP!! Very nice work , dude !! :D

LibertyBowl.png

Thanks.  Here's an update with 2 choices on the primary, to veer away from its similarity in shape to the Jays' logo.  Brought the end of the bird down to the end of C to make it flow better.  Ditched the original STL logo I had going.  Adjusted the highlight on its head a bit.  Scrapped the wordmark highlight.

Complete-StLouisCardinals2.gif

Ian I think the update is much improved - taking the silver shadow out of the text helps a lot. Excellent update on the StL as well, it fits much better. I think you need to take the silver out of the concept completely, however. Try fitting the wordmark to the look of the StL and I think that would make it awesome. Now to that cardinal of yours. I'm just not feeling it at the moment - i think you may need to rework the beak a little bit- it seems too bulbous - maybe try and elongate it and streamline it a bit. Also the eye is still bugging me - Maybe try a different shape for the eye and adding a pupil to it, as you suggested to me with my Black Eagles concept (krownjewelz, where are you?). I think the point at the back of the cardinal is too elongated and doesn't flow with the shape of the bird. Maybe look at some photos of cardinals to see the musculature of the neck to see where the head and neck connect with the rest of the body. That way you may be able to get a better shape for the chest (which seems a little too "puffed" out to me) and neck to make it more streamlined and dynamic.

that's just my two cents - the rest of the package, Ian, looks great, keep workin on the bird, and send it to the AAA affiliate when you get a chance ;-)

OD_Signature.jpg

Thanks.  Here's an update with 2 choices on the primary, to veer away from its similarity in shape to the Jays' logo.  Brought the end of the bird down to the end of C to make it flow better.  Ditched the original STL logo I had going.  Adjusted the highlight on its head a bit.  Scrapped the wordmark highlight.

Complete-StLouisCardinals2.gif

Ian I think the update is much improved - taking the silver shadow out of the text helps a lot. Excellent update on the StL as well, it fits much better. I think you need to take the silver out of the concept completely, however. Try fitting the wordmark to the look of the StL and I think that would make it awesome. Now to that cardinal of yours. I'm just not feeling it at the moment - i think you may need to rework the beak a little bit- it seems too bulbous - maybe try and elongate it and streamline it a bit. Also the eye is still bugging me - Maybe try a different shape for the eye and adding a pupil to it, as you suggested to me with my Black Eagles concept (krownjewelz, where are you?). I think the point at the back of the cardinal is too elongated and doesn't flow with the shape of the bird. Maybe look at some photos of cardinals to see the musculature of the neck to see where the head and neck connect with the rest of the body. That way you may be able to get a better shape for the chest (which seems a little too "puffed" out to me) and neck to make it more streamlined and dynamic.

that's just my two cents - the rest of the package, Ian, looks great, keep workin on the bird, and send it to the AAA affiliate when you get a chance ;-)

Ditto to all that. I like the STL logo a lot better now, too.

teamsnew2.png

I like it

IansCards.jpg

damn i like that helmet, you got a template for that?

cmpunksigcopy.gif

i really like what you have done with it all, espically the change in the STL logo. I dont know if you want to have the outline of the STL a different logo, unless youre looking for more of that "different the the primary" look. jw also what the bird would look like if the feathers on the end of its head were straight back rather than fluffed up........really good IMO, keep it up!!!! :notworthy::notworthy:

I just wanna do hoodrat things with my friends.

Archived