Reb mascot to be bear, horse or biker

animator

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?BRD=203...4&PAG=461&rfi=9

Reb mascot to be bear, horse or biker

September 11, 2003

In an appearance before students at a public relations class on the campus of Ole Miss this week, Vice Chancellor for University Communications Jeff Alford revealed the three leading choices to replace Col. Red on all university merchandising.                                                          

OXFORD - In an appearance before students at a public relations class on the campus of Ole Miss this week, Vice Chancellor for University Communications Jeff Alford revealed the three leading choices to replace Col. Red on all university merchandising.

The three leading choices are a "bear named Rebel, a stallion named Rebel and a James Dean-like character."

This past Tuesday, Ole Miss students participated in an election marked by the largest turnout ever for an Associated Student Body election.

A landslide result of 94 percent voted to retain the 65-year tradition of Col. Reb at Ole Miss.

Of the over 12,000 students that were eligible to vote, 103 voted to for a replacement.

Colonel Reb Foundation president Brian Ferguson remarked, "If Chancellor Khayat is true to his word, the debate is over."

When asked whether University officials will recognize the student vote, current ASB president Hardy Case reminded reports that in July of 1997, Khayat stated "that school spirit issues should evolve through the students."

In November of 1997, during the controversial debate where Khayat applauded the ASB Senate for voting to discontinue any symbolic waving of Confederate flags, he stated that he "has faith in the students of Ole Miss.

"They have the courage to objectively review issues and the wisdom to make good decisions."

©Clarksdale Press Register 2003

Okay I can see a bear and  horse but a biker.  I mean come on.  That is one of teh dumbest ideas I have heard yet.  

As i figured they would eliminate all confederate solider or soliders in general so they dont have to deal with the students wanting that one.

The horse will probably win, now lets hope it looks good.

I for one would LOVE to see them have the audacity to go with a James Dean/Biker logo to accompany the Rebels name. It would certainly be different. Of course, this may have to do with the fact that of the two designs I submitted, one was a biker-type.

The other logo featured a more generally rebellious figure: i.e. striding straight towards the viewer, gritted teeth, angry/determined look in eyes, rolling up sleeve. In the background, one could see the silhouettes of defiantly raised fists and a hand holding a banner. It was inspired by some World War 2 propaganda art featuring Uncle Sam.

For both submissions, I created a pair of logos... one featuring a male Rebel figure, the other a female.

Brian in Boston

True, but there are two states most associated with motorcycles (to me, at least):  Wisconsin (Harley-Davidson is headquartered in Milwaukee) and South Dakota (they have that huge biker rally in Sturgis every year)...

QPR%20Sig.png

I sent in a horse, too. Animator (Aaron) sent in two horses. Brilliant minds think alike. Even if we lose out.  James Dean stuff- In 2015 will people still think about 65 year old movies as much? Perhaps some, but it may be lost on many by then. Then they'll have to switch again. Anyone been contacted by the school? I'm sure they'd want some design input before voting.

a biker would be a great mascot for the name "rebels" because it can fit with any ethnic group. motorcycle enthusiasts are not limited to the long bearded white guys from the deep south. there are white bikers, black bikers, hispanic bikers, hell even asian bikers nowadays. there is a huge biker convention in reno every year around this time and I was there last year. A biker can be anyone from any walk of life. its the one time they can feel rebellious to the authorites they deal with on an everyday basis at work and/or school.

its perfect! go biker!

I went to their home opener last Saturday and Pete Boone was presenting this years inductees into the Rebel hall of fame. When they announced this guys name the boos were deafening.

Someone in one of the sky boxes also had a huge Save the col banner hanging in front of their box. It was gone by the second quarter. I was told they were asked to remove it.

I think Boone and Khayat are going to do what they want to do and crap on anybody elses opinions. As a life long Ole Miss fan I think it sucks. I really liked the designs you guys did especially Sterling. Man if the two idiots would keep their word and just update the col his would be a shoe in my opinion.

But oh well you know what they say about opinions, they are like a**holes everyone has one, but in this case Ole Miss has two Boone and Khayat.

Archived