Wusa folds

JQK

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Y'know, it bugs me every time a women's sports league (ABL, and now the WUSA) folds up shop. Unfortunately it seems to always be for the same reason - the ownership can't blow through their money fast enough trying to make the sport "big league" and "profitable."

The WUSA's original gameplan (and the ABL's for that matter) was to go 5 years before it would reach the break-even point. Unfortunately, rather than hold the line on costs owners seem hell-bent on spending their way into oblivion - not good for the sport.

The WUSA's ownership model was admittedly different, and the 'owners' themselves seemed to have fairly deep pockets in some cases (the Carolina Courage, my hometown team, was de facto owned by AOL Time Warner), but still couldn't help but spend, spend, spend - mostly on marketing in this case.

It would be refreshing to see a pro women's sports league organized and operated in a manner to where revenues drive expenses, rather than the other way around.

The WNBA seems headed down this same slope - drawing around 7,500 a game and losing money hand-over-fist because of playing in the NBA venues (except in cities where there's no NBA team, natch), paying players flat salaries instead of a percentage of the gross, etc. It's sad.

nav-logo.png

Women's sports in this country will not make it in America. Never will. Tennis is the exception. Soccer, Basketball, fastpitch softball, or 55 women football leagues won't be around much longer.

WUSA, I didn't even know it was still around. ABL folded for a reason, the WNBA will fold too. Fast Pitch softball closed up once and will again, burn the money atleast you'll be warm. Football leagues, that's a joke. Thank hockey gods, we don't have hockey in America, because it would just ruin the game. Keep Pro Womens hockey in Canada where it's respected.

Women Sports that would exceed in America or do.

Pro Beach Volleyball, Bowling, Tennis, and Billards.

If the NBA did not back the WNBA it would have been gone along time ago. The NBA opperates it at a loss as almost positive public relations. Had there been a strike as was threatened chances are it could have have folded in May.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

It's a shame, too, because it's good ball.  The game tonight was a very good game, I happened to catch it while flipping channels.  And, there were 22,000 people in attendance, a league record.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

• 11 months later...
How did this get revived?

retro was maniac for retro news again.

At least he checked old posts--but it wasn't worth reviving--find something that is news please...

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

I was browsing old posts and found this. I hadn't heard of it.

so dont reply if its old, all there is to it. browsing is just that, browsing. especially with something as old as this.

I know right,I saw this and was like...what they folded again? I didnt know they were back the first time ^_^

Kings Cross AFC -BIP, Winnipeg Falcons - TNFF, St. Louis Archers - MLF

I was browsing old posts and found this. I hadn't heard of it.

so dont reply if its old, all there is to it. browsing is just that, browsing. especially with something as old as this.

I know right,I saw this and was like...what they folded again? I didnt know they were back the first time ^_^

I was wondering the same thing!

Next thing you know, the Dodgers will leave Brooklyn.

facebook.png twitter.pngblogger.pngflickr-1.jpg

I think it's time for a Family Guy quote!

Tom Tucker: Because of an accident today at the Quahog cable company, all television transmission will be out for an undetermined amount of time. Of course, no one can see this news program, so it doesn't really matter what we say. I'm the lord Jesus Christ. I think I'll go get drunk and beat up some midgets, how about you, Diane?

Diane Simmons: Well, Tom, I just plain don't like black people.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

I think it's time for a Family Guy quote!

Tom Tucker: Because of an accident today at the Quahog cable company, all television transmission will be out for an undetermined amount of time. Of course, no one can see this news program, so it doesn't really matter what we say. I'm the lord Jesus Christ. I think I'll go get drunk and beat up some midgets, how about you, Diane?

Diane Simmons: Well, Tom, I just plain don't like black people.

Family Guy is great!!!!!

I heard the owner of the World Wrestling Federation is trying to start his own football league. Anyone else hear about this?

They are? Will they let the player chose whatever name he wants on his jersey? Can I be He Hate Me?

Archived