Brewers Sunday Home Unis

Sec19Row53

Why bring the glove logo back when they just ditched it like 10 or 12 years ago???  <_<

Because they're correcting a mistake?

Because they haven't had anything near as memorable?

Because the fans want it?

EDIT: And with that being my 200th post, I'll shut up about it for a while. At least in this thread :P

139775815_cc7da57bca_o.jpg

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess the hat I bought last year isn't really "Retro" anymore since they brought em back. Oh well, I'm glad to see the blue and yellow back. I do like the logo a lot, but those jerseys could be better. The script ones would've been 20 times better.

Ok. The concept of wearing retro jerseys once every 5 years is cool to me. But, if you wear it every Sunday, isnt it now a normal/official 2006 jersey?

That being said, it will drive me nuts that the colors royal/yellow vs. navy/goldish brown will not match on their uniform sets.

I agree with GoNordiques.

I was hoping they'd bring back the early 80s uniform with their current colors.

thier regular home uniforms are 10,000 times better then those disgusting alternate unis

(I speak for everyone by the way fudevil.gif )

Aw Shark, let the retro sheep have their fun. This Brewers fan will be rocking the greatest-looking Brewers jersey of all-time this summer. And when I mention the greatest-looking Brewers jersey of all time, it is assumed everybody knows I'm not talking about the retro plop unveiled tonight.

DEATH TO THE GLOVE LOGO!!!!! :cursing:

I saw, I came, I left.

thier regular home uniforms are 10,000 times better then those disgusting alternate unis

(I speak for everyone by the way fudevil.gif )

Amen.

well of course ICS and I agree not only on the asian women, but also that Throwbacks should stay in the past

PS: You can still not have my woman ICS :P

Eh, really don't like it. Could they go more plain than ever? A hybrid of the current and the retro look would be nice. Let the Brewers fans enjoy their plain vanilla jerseys.

Note to self: Will baseball ever get out of a retro craze? You know it is the 21st century. UGH!!!

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

I was hoping for a hybrid as well. I don't dislike what they did, but I was expecting different. Going full retro isn't THAT bad. I mean the NY Jets and NY Giants have done it in the NFL. Why can't the Brewers? I read I think on one of the boards at the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel that most of the fans like it but they were hoping for a hybrid as well. The Indians, Reds, Mets, etc. have all changed their look over time but kept the main logo, and I think that's what fans wanted was something like that. Not a complete copy. Either way, I think it's a good start, and I'll probably buy a jersey and cap at some point. Here's a photo of former Brewer Jim Gantner in the new threads.

brew1201a.jpg

Here's just a clothing shot...

img1591634.jpg

Here's a concept I made awhile back, and what I thought Milwaukee would end up doing along with a possible alternate logo...

Brew1.jpg

BREW.jpg

And finally here's an article by MLB.com on the new unis.

MILWAUKEE -- The Brewers and their fans will turn back the clock every Sunday at Miller Park next season.

The team has unveiled "new" uniforms for Sunday home games which, as expected, are recreations of the team's garb from 1978-1993. Blue pinstripes adorn the white jerseys and pants, "BREWERS" is stitched across the chest and the caps feature the popular "ball and glove" logo.

"As players, we always see the old logo on fans at the ballpark," said catcher Damian Miller, who grew up in Wisconsin and was on hand Thursday to model the retro look. "I really like it."

Hall of Famer Robin Yount, the first player enshrined into Cooperstown wearing that cap, helped unveil the new-old look as part of the "Brewers Winter Warm-Up" on Thursday night in the ballpark's .300 Club. Other participants included include Hall of Fame broadcaster Bob Uecker, manager Ned Yost, third base coach Dale Sveum, plus current players Bill Hall, Miller, Lyle Overbay, Derrick Turnbow and Matt Wise and former Brewers Jerry Augustine, Jim Gantner, Larry Hisle and Gorman Thomas.

It's a look originally made famous by the power-hitting Brewers teams of the late 1970s and early 1980s, including the 1982 American League Champion Brewers that featured future Hall of Famers Yount (the team's new bench coach), Paul Molitor, Rollie Fingers and Don Sutton. The centerpiece is the logo, comprised of a lowercase "m" and "b" arranged in the shape of a baseball glove.

"Whoever came up with that is a genius," Overbay said.

That would be Tom Meindel, an art student at the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire, who submitted the winning design in 1977. He won $2,000 for his effort, and the Brewers wore his brainchild from 1978-1993, though it has remained popular in Milwaukee and in recent years has shown up in ballpark promotions.

One of those promotions in 2005 was essentially served as a focus group. Fans entering Miller Park were offered a choice between two T-shirts, one with the team's current logo or one with the retro look. Old school won in a landslide.

"There is clearly a strong bond between the current fan base and the teams of the 1980s, and we believe that Sundays will bring a unique atmosphere to Miller Park," Brewers executive vice president of business operations Rick Schlesinger said.

The team hopes the fans will add to that atmosphere, dubbed "Retro Sundays." Music and entertainment from the era will be featured, and fans are encouraged to make their own fashion statements.

The team will host Brewers legends from the 1980s, who will participate in events such as autograph sessions and game broadcasts. Several of the Sunday games will also include fan promotional giveaways tailored to the era.

The Brewers began planning for new alternate uniforms more than a year ago, before new owner Mark Attanasio took the helm. The club worked with Major League Baseball Properties and considered a number of options, including some mock-ups that combined the old and the new. In the end, only the most subtle updates -- most notably buttons down the front of the jersey and a more modern, athletic cut -- were used.

"We figured that if we were going to go retro, we might as well just do it and not mess with a good thing," Schlesinger said. "Fans are obviously going to have their own opinions, but we felt that most fans wanted to see the old logo."

A special 20-game ticket package has been designed around "Retro Sundays." With the Retro Sunday Plus plan, fans receive tickets to each of the 13 Sunday afternoon home dates at Miller Park, as well as seven other games. Two of the dates in the package include all-fan giveaways.

The Retro Sunday Plus ticket plan starts at just $160. For ticket information, please contact the Brewers ticket office at (414) 902-4100.

The new jerseys are already available in the Brewers online shop and at the FanZone at Miller Park. The gear modeled on Thursday night is being auctioned online.

"But we did not look at this as a revenue-generator," Schlesinger said. "Even if we get a 300 percent bump in sales, it is still a very, very small part of our business. This was done as a response to what we were hearing from our fans."

Wise believes there is also some good mojo to be had. He participated in a similar fashion show in Anaheim before the 2002 season, when the Angels updated their look, and the team went on to win the World Series.

Added Hall: "Hopefully we can go out there and have a Cinderella season."

brew1201b.jpg

brew1201c.jpg

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

Eh, really don't like it. Could they go more plain than ever? A hybrid of the current and the retro look would be nice. Let the Brewers fans enjoy their plain vanilla jerseys.

I grew up in the 1980s, but the look of that era is better suited for the past. To be honest, it's not the look I dislike so much as the decision by the club to wear them on a semi-routine basis. Sure, it's part of "Retro Sundays", and it's nice to look back every now and again. But it's better to give the 21st Century Brewers their own positive look.

Then again, what would you expect in a town where there are three classic rock stations!

I think they should also wear them for interleague games since it's basically an American League uniform.

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

I was actually hoping they'd bring back the script version of that uniform. I always thought the arched block letters looked like an American Legion team. The ball in glove on the sleeve looks good though.

"Hats for bats. Keep bats warm. Gracias"

I'm sure many have pointed this out on this board before, but the ball-in-glove did not originally appear on the sleeve of this era's uniforms. The only time it showed up on the unis was on the BP jerseys of certain years.

While there's nothing wrong with this look per se, I, like many others, would have preferred to see a fusion/evolution approach taken here. Maybe when the uniforms get a full overhaul, we'll see elements of that. In my dream scenario, the mb logo goes on the hat and sleeve, and goes on a uni using the current blue and gold - along with the Germanic font of 1994-2000.

And for the alternates? Beer Barrel Man.

Oh yeah, I went there.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

This isn't a straight copy as people have noted. Not only was the glove logo not on the sleeve in the 80s, but there were no names on the back and those jerseys were pullover, not button-up.

By the time the Brewers went button up with the Pin Stripes they had changed the "Brewers" font to a goofy script.

So IMO, this is perfect. Block WallBanger lettering, button-up comfortable fit.

NICE!

Sorry man. My good taste and common sense may be on board with you haters, but it makes me feel 8 years old again. I love it.

Bravo.

The Official Cheese-Filled Snack of NASCAR

I'm still advocating my hybrid...howver if I were to re-do it I'd put the primary logo on the home jersey sleeve.

Brew1.jpg

spacer.png

Archived