Another reason the BCS makes me mad

sscrunner06

I really think that every BCS conference should be required to have a conference title game.

It's really not fair to SEC and Big XII teams that they have to play a conference title game before BCS bids are formally announced, while teams in conferences like the Pac-10 (I'm talking to you, USC) don't. It's just another example of a lack of standardization within the BCS.

Basically, the BCS should tell each conference that a title game is required in order to be guaranteed an automatic bid. What do y'all think?

AM.gif

I think it is an NCAA rule that you have to have 12 teams to have a conference championship game, and since USC beat number 2 in the pac10 oregon, then there is really no reason for one anyways this year.

impossiblefp4.jpg

The World Basketball Championship, the Davis Cup, Ryder Cup, Iraq: Every day there's further proof that we, as a nation, are not very good at international competition.

The SEC and Big XII don't need conference title games. Those conferences CHOSE to split into divisions and have championship games between the winners of the divisions. The SEC and Big XII could very well have one division, just like the Big Ten and the Pac-10.

But conferences that have split into divisions have done so mainly because of the bottom line -- money. The conference championship games draw fan excitement, and fan excitement draws big bucks.

Personally, I'd like to see the Big Ten have a championship game between two division champs. I don't know if it's an NCAA rule that they can't with only 11 teams, but the fact is they don't and other conferences don't have a say in Big Ten matters.

If the SEC or Big XII object to the Big Ten and Pac-10 not having title games, all they have to do is get rid of their own championship games.

You forgot the ACC, that now plays a title game (and VT could be forced into it).

If we're forced to have the BCS, I can't say to force the conference to have a conference title game. For one, conferences can only have them if there are 12 teams. Does this mean that you'd force the Big Ten and Pac 10 to expand to 12 teams, or be threatened with replacement by the MAC and C-USA (which have conference title games)?

Personally, I'd like to see them have the 5 bowls and let conferences qualify on their own merits. Any conference needs their top-ranked team to finish in the top 10 2 out of 3 years to get (or keep) their automatic berth.

Here's what this would do for 2006.

Automatic bids until 2007 (at least)

Atlantic Coast Conference

Big XII Conference

Pacific-10 Conference

Southeastern Conference

Automatic bid for 2006 only

Big East Conference (if WVU Top 10 in 2005)

Big Ten Conference

Can earn automatic bid in 2007

Conference USA

Mountain West Conference

Western Athletic Conference

Can earn automatic bid in 2008

Big East Conference (if WVU not Top 10 in 2005)

Mid-American Conference

Sun Belt Conference

LvZYtbZ.png

You bring up good points, I guess it would be difficult to force all BCS conferences to have a title game. Personally, I enjoy watching conference title games. I just thought it would set up some interesting matchups in conferences like the Big Ten.

And I like willmorris's idea to force conferences to qualify for a BCS berth. That would make things VERY interesting.

AM.gif

The conferences that started the title games did so for financial reasons and I don't really think it is the job of the others to follow suit.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Not 100% sure if this is relevant to the conversation, but I'll bring it up anyway.

These conferences also have automatic bids to the field of 65 for D-I basketball. It probably wasn't until the last decade or so that the Big Ten and Pac-10 held post-season conference tournaments to determine the automatic bid. The Ivy League still doesn't.

Bottom line: why mandate how a league selects its conference champion?

48142444846_3aa6afbd89_m.jpgNCAA Baseball Champions | 2014, 2019 

facebook

i was half watching espn a few days ago and they were talking to the coach of texas i think and they asked him if he was in favor of conference championships and instead of answering a straight yes or no, he told a story about how the coaches in his conference had a vote and voted 12-0 to NOT have a conference title game, then the athletic directors had the same vote and voted 12-0 to have the game.

Title games are all about money for the schools. BCS bowls are all about money for the schools. I say scrap the whole fluffin system and give me a 8 team (at least) tournament.

if they were to have a BCS and a Conference Championship, than they have Notre Dame choose a conference instead of staying independent. Personally I like to see them go to the Big Ten, that way there, they have alot of rivals such as Michigan and Michigan State, and there first 3 games can rotate each year between their rivals of other conferences such as Tennessee and Stanford. But I would have them finish each year with USC such it is tradition and all, now with Notre Dame in the Big Ten this is how I would Align the Divisions

East

Indiana

Michigan

Notre Dame

Ohio State

Penn State

Purdue

West

Illinois

Iowa

Michigan State

Minnesota