British rebellion

oilfaninvan

I had an older topic regarding this but started a new one so that more people would check it out. this logo was made by my brother and was inspired in part by iDonovans great work on his logo. check out the old topic first to see iDonovans logo and info on what this is all about:Old topic

here is my brothers logo:

The British Rebellion Floor hockey team

Vancouver 2010 Two Man Luge Gold Medalist.

http://www.geocities.com/oilfaninvan

I have a couple of things to say, both of them are not to be interpreted as personal criticism, but observations on trends I see...

IMO if people care, they'll check it out. Please, if it's the same subject, keep it in the same thread.

Also, I don't know how to say this, because it could be taken the wrong way, but I'll put it this way... as a designer, I spend a lot of time with each of my logos (my logos are like my childrens... I loves them all!). If I spend that much time with one logo because someone asked for a freebie handout, and then doesn't use what I've given them as a gift, and goes and gets something else, I sometimes am hurt by their ungratefulness.

If you ever find yourself in this situation, please do as I see oilfan here did. Do not be sparse in your gratefulness to the designer, but then personally explain to them the reasons why you are going with something else... if you have any ideas of where to go (and it's not too too much different than what the designer came up with), perhaps offer the designer the chance to alter his logo ever so slightly so that he can still be credited.

Sorry for being longwinded... BACK ON TOPIC... personally, I prefer iDono's logo to this one, although they both have their strengths. I like the rounder, more textured feel of the englishman in iD's logo (and you can't help but feel that pro touch), but I also get the feeling that the nastier, crazier rebel is more along the lines of what oilfan was looking for.

Some things to spruce up this latest logo... 'drop' the shadow. It's there to add depth, but it only busies the logo unnecessarily. Add depth by adding more contrast between the shadow colours and the colours that are being lit up. Also, thicken the outlines. This helps make it look crisper, more professional and stronger. Lastly, find a better way to transition between the text and the image. The text is very light and creates a lot of empty space, making the fact that the image inexplicably stops just above the text more noticeable. Perhaps put a box around the text to enclose it (and have the image end behind the box), or else choose a fatter text that will not create so much space.

I hope this all made sense, and please, take no offense at my first two general recommendations.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

we have one with no shadow and i prefer this one to iDonovans because of the nastiness of the rebel. iDonovans guy looks like a wild west american. plus the hockey gloves look cooler in this one.

also, the words were not really meant to be part of the logo. i brought this topic up with the person who designed it and doesn't frequent this board, and in my opinion created a better logo.

it's not supposed to be a logo for a pro team, it's just a floor hockey logo.

plus the person who did this logo is a much better artist than anyone of us.

plus the person who did this logo is a much better artist than anyone of us.

I'm sure they're honoured, but I wouldn't say that... unless they're the second coming of Rembrandt himself, I'd put my money on some of the pro guys here... (Bosack posted here once, so he's included too :;):)

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

I'm a fan of iDon's logo over this one... I like the person in your bro's logo, but I don't like how the script is tied into the rest of the logo, it doesn't look complete.

iDon's looks like a complete professional logo.

But that's just my opinion.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

I agree with BIB...when i first saw it i thought some one found a disney colouring book...i just cant decide if its pocahontas, little mermaid, or hunch back of notre dame... iDons may have had the wrong name and i agree looks like a Yosemite Sam western guy but its a hell of a logo... i just hope i can get that good... but none the less decent logos... but its got that disney factor i just cant shake

GDB... Brothers from other Mothers

www.pifflespodcast.com

I don't feel close or familiar enough with this issue to comment intelligently.

I will say, this guy feels....French to me.

That was my initial reaction as well!

. . . not that I actually know what a French guy feels like . . .  :D

You know what I meant. :cool:

Oilfaninvan...

No offense, my man... but your bro's logo resembles the villain in a circa-1990s Disney animated film.

IMHO... iDonovan's logo RULES!

Brian in Boston

that's because he's an animator and can draw :censored: like that in 2 seconds. iDonovan's logo is cool, yes and i thank him for putting in such an effort, but the fat dude with a mustache and no eyes doesn't do it for me.

I agree with BIB...when i first saw it i thought some one found a disney colouring book...i just cant decide if its pocahontas, little mermaid, or hunch back of notre dame... iDons may have had the wrong name and i agree looks like a Yosemite Sam western guy but its a hell of a logo... i just hope i can get that good... but none the less decent logos... but its got that disney factor i just cant shake

perhaps the logo belongs on a different message board then because no one seems to respect "cartoon" drawings as legitimate logos. in my opinion, a "cartoon" is better than a stylized guy, for example the oilers shoulder patch or the new england patriots. but to each his own.

i didnt say i didnt like it or respect it... its just that it has that disney style to it... im not trying to knock it... and i have a giant oilers shoulder patch sitting infront of me right now (my souvenir from my only oilers home game)... no way that could be confused for a disney drawing... but i like it anyway

GDB... Brothers from other Mothers

www.pifflespodcast.com

The artwork does look like it's straight out of a disney movie.  Styling and colors.

Couple small points:  One, if the guy's hair is red, then his mustache and eyebrows should be red.  Two, I agree the guy looks French.  I think it's the mustache, nose , and the vest.  I can't really explain why, but they say "French" to me.  Third, why did yours and IDon's both have a guy wearing blue?  Did you mean British Rebellion as Americans revolting against the British for independence?  If so, then the name is a tad wrong.  One of the reasons America seperated was because they were so much more heterogeneous than England.  You had British colonists, but a lot of Dutch, Scots, Irish, and ofcourse Africans in America.  So the amount of British revolting was small compared to the total number of Americans fighting.  Many British colonists wanted to go back to the way it was before Britian imposed internal taxes and others remained loyal to the crown.  Finally, if you're in Canada, why are you naming your team for the American revolution?

thanks for the history lesson, but i didn't put that much thought into the name. yes why WOULD i name something after the american revolution!

basically with a british family background i thought it would be a good name to describe british hockey players breaking out and becoming good hockey players. sort of rebelling against the soccer stereotype i guess. i dunno. i just thought rebellion was a cooler name than rebels.

so i guess in a way is speaks for all british who rebel, such as your little revolution you speak of.

Hey Oilerfan,

I don't find it 'cartoony' , it's awesome.  I like the shadow or 'soft back drop' - what ever it is, it's cool.  Great logo.

My P.E. classes play floor hockey, and they eat it up.  We have team logos, schedules and a playoff to see who wins the "Cardinal Cup".  Floor hockey Rocks (that's if you don't get any ice time) :cool:

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

Archived