Charles Schwab commercial

Sec19Row53

If you've watched much sports on TV over the last month, I imagine you've seen the series of commercials for Charles Schwab. The design aspect of each of them is that they've "2-D'd" the characters in the commercial, making them live cartoons. It's not done as a pencil sketch, but a full color cartoon.

Anyway, does anyone know how difficult this is to do? My wife and I are thinking of making a Poker Room in our new house, and we thought it would be neat to paint a King and Queen on the wall, but use our faces instead of the actual card faces. So, I'd be trying to get our pictures converted in a manner similar to the commercial.

It's where I sit.

I know the guy who did these commercials, he owns Flat Black Films here in Austin, and the software was used on Waking Life and the upcoming movie with Winona Ryder, Woody harrelson, Keanu Reeves based on Philip K Dick's A Scanner Darkly.

The animation is rotoscoping, where the filmed scenes are dumped into a computer program and the animators draw over the film frame by frame. The program is pretty amazing, it allows the animators to draw the outline of the face, for example, skip ahead a few frames, and the software fills in the animation in between. That accounts for some of the skips and jumps that seem to flow and float. When layer after layer is added, at different rythyms, meaning a new layer for the eyes, eyelashes, mouth, nose, hat, etc., it produces the sorta floating drawn affect seen in the finished results.

I like the rotoscoped comic effect, but I also like the 50ish print look to the Schwab info shots. IMO one of the better commercials of late.

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

Illustrator CS2's autotrace feature does somehting similar as well.

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

I know the guy who did these commercials, he owns Flat Black Films here in Austin, and the software was used on Waking Life and the upcoming movie with Winona Ryder, Woody harrelson, Keanu Reeves based on Philip K Dick's A Scanner Darkly.

Does your friend freelance with EyeballNYC, or did he work there at the time those Schwab spots were done? I've seen several writeups about them in broadcast design magazines and websites, and they all list EyeballNYC as the design house that created them.

Nope, I don't think he worked with them on this campaign. I looked up the Eyeball website, and they have some more text oriented ads with jazz, but the rotoscoping commericals are strictly his.

Here's an article about it:

http://www.screenhead.com/funny/animation/...life-130190.phphttp://http://www.screenhead.com/funny/animation/bob-sabistons-schwab-life-130190.php' target='_blank'>

I was actually upset that these commercials have come out before A Scanner Darkly is released. Now when people go to see that film (if they do) they're going to think of the commercials. Bleh.

Archived