Prescott Valley Central Hockey League Team

Brock

This from their official website, www.pvhockey.com

It's Coming...

The Prescott Valley Hockey Club, which will begin play at the new, state-of-the-art Prescott Valley Convention and Events Center in October 2006, will officially announce a new name and unveil its primary logo, alternate logo, and word mark at a news conference on Tuesday, December 13.

Please be sure to check back for more details in the coming days, including time and location.

The Central Hockey League is in its 14th season of play and continues to build on a tradition of outstanding competition and entertainment which was first established in the early 90's. In the CHL's first four seasons of play, the CHL had the unique distinction of centralized ownership. Now, all of the CHL's current franchises are operated independently. When the soon-to-be-named Prescott Valley franchise begins play in October 2006, the CHL will boast 18 teams and is continuously working to expand and strengthen its membership.

The Prescott Valley Convention and Events Center will be the premier multi-purpose sports and entertainment venue in Northern Arizona. Seating 5,264 for hockey, the facility is truly multi-purpose, capable of hosting a variety of events ranging from hockey to trade shows, conventions, graduations, performing arts, concerts, sporting events, thrill shows, and family events. The Center will enhance the opportunity to increase the region's status as THE destination point and cultural center of Yavapai County while facilitating the need to satisfy civic pride, development potential, and quality of life issues.

I'll post the logos, name (if someone doesn't beat me to it first LOL) when they're released. On this note, if anyone's heard rumors as to what the nickname's going to be (the Finalists are Ambush, Dust Devils, Outlaws, Pronghorns, Sundogs and

Vipers) please post.

Well, given that Prescott Valley Hockey Club LLC registered the name Arizona Sundogs with the United States Patent and Trademark Office on October 5th, I'd say there's a pretty good chance that is the identity the team is going to adopt. Unless, of course, it was registered as a decoy.

Still, I'm betting that they're going with Arizona Sundogs

Thanks for that info Brian.

Sundogs, also known as mock suns or "parhelia", are a pair of brightly colored spots, one on either side of the sun. They could do something good with that nickname, as long as they don't try to turn it in to a Canine-esque name, with some growling hound.

Unique it is.

CHL had 2-3 years to step into the Phoenix market after the Mustangs fold...and they finally manage to enter Arizona via Prescott Valley?

I don't see it lasting past 2 years.

• 2 weeks later...
CHL had 2-3 years to step into the Phoenix market after the Mustangs fold...and they finally manage to enter Arizona via Prescott Valley?

The CHL's philosophy is that they won't enter "failed" markets... their business model is to go in 2 years early, build a new arena (they have a subsidiary that is an arena-building outfit), and then place a team there. Youngstown, OH is the current poster child for that way of doing things. That's why you won't see the CHL in a market like Phoenix, and why they didn't snap up Utah when they dropped down a league this past offseason.

And to get back on topic, it took me a good 3 minutes of staring to see the dog in the secondary. I love the off-the-board nickname, but the logos could use a little help. I have to wonder if simply rotating the secondary 90 degrees clockwise would help.

Oy gevalt.

The CHL was so much fun when it was a 6 team bus league. Now it's headed for 18 franchises and a geographic spread which will mean more dollars spent on travel rather than talent. That's what killed the league the first time around in 1984.

Rant complete.

Oy gevalt.

The CHL was so much fun when it was a 6 team bus league. Now it's headed for 18 franchises and a geographic spread which will mean more dollars spent on travel rather than talent. That's what killed the league the first time around in 1984.

Rant complete.

Agreed. Gotta love that Youngstown vs. Prescott Valley rivalry.

Listen everyone knows the league hasn't been the same since the Border City Bandits left. No....seriously. :D

The CHL's philosophy is that they won't enter "failed" markets... their business model is to go in 2 years early, build a new arena (they have a subsidiary that is an arena-building outfit), and then place a team there. Youngstown, OH is the current poster child for that way of doing things. That's why you won't see the CHL in a market like Phoenix, and why they didn't snap up Utah when they dropped down a league this past offseason.

And to get back on topic, it took me a good 3 minutes of staring to see the dog in the secondary. I love the off-the-board nickname, but the logos could use a little help. I have to wonder if simply rotating the secondary 90 degrees clockwise would help.

And it's logic like that is going to break them with travel expensives and small markets that can't or won't substain them for terribly too much longer. Like the pervious poster said, the CHL will emplode like it did before, because it thinks it can successfully recreate what the ECHL happened to do in the early 90s to what they are now, a bicoastal super league that is the ultimate feeder system for another league that has grown far beyond their regional roots.

• 3 weeks later...
Oy gevalt.

The CHL was so much fun when it was a 6 team bus league.  Now it's headed for 18 franchises and a geographic spread which will mean more dollars spent on travel rather than talent.  That's what killed the league the first time around in 1984.

You mean back in the days when you could sneak into the press room to print out a few hundred extra wanted posters of the opposition's most-hated player?

Or are you talking about the days when the logos were created by the owner's son's girlfriend (never heard back if she used crayons).

Yeah... those were the days. :)

I still see the CHL in the near absorbing the stronger western UHL teams to help bridge the gap between Youngstown (should we be concerned that a first-year franchise in a new arena is averaging only 3,765?) and Memphis.

For the record, I don't have a major problem with the Sundogs' primary logo, as the only thing needed to make a simplistic logo a classic is 50-60 years of use. The market I have less hope for. The Prescott Valley region isn't terribly large... the last time I ran a check I came up with about 40,000 (someone feel free to correct me if I'm off). If it's growing due to retirees I'd still be cautious. In my experience a lot of folks get suckered into retiring to a beautiful area, then get bored and move out within a few years. One cannot depend on such a demographic.

Marc

The colors listed by the Sundogs (the Pantones are in the article about the unveiling, so I'm going to list them here), address one of my new pet peeves. Because designers choose their colors based on what Illustrator or Photoshop shows them to be on-screen, they get deceived into what they THINK a color looks like, versus what it REALLY looks like.

For example, the Yellow/Orange/Rust color is shown as a golden Yellow in the logo samples:

Sundogs_AlternateReverse.jpg

However, the color is PANTONE 138 C, which is a dark Orange/Gold. Here are the Sundogs' colors, using RGB values that more accurately reflect what the colors will really look like when printed:

ArizonaSundogs_FRC_2007_SOL.jpg

Much different.

I'm not sure if the designer really intended for the Rust to be that dark, or if he/she was just matching colors on-screen...

Archived