Cleveland Browns sleeve stripes.

sacker12

Does anyone know the widths on the Browns home jerseys, mainly for the 80's home jersey? I think I heard somewhere that they made the stripes slightly thinner on the current jerseys so they can fit on the sleeves, which are significantly smaller than they were on the jerseys the Browns wore in the 80's. Thanks.

No idea on the exact widths, but it from eyeballing some pix it seems like the actual stripe widths are not much different. The placement seems to be the big difference, with the contemporary stripes placed high up near the seam. Does anyone else see a big diff?

I think the Browns have done well with their uniforms, though I am not crazy about the new helmet shell. On TV and to my eyes it resembles the new shells in use at Clemson and North Carolina. They actually seem to have a duller finish despite what appears to be metal flake/sparkly-type surface.

It is interesting to see people talking about sleeve stripes, in this and other posts. I sometimes miss the big-sleeved 1980's look, and on some current NFL teams you do see two different designs, with some quarterbacks, kickers and punters wearing the longer sleeves. The stripes on these have room to breathe and look much better than the way some teams have condensed their stripes. The Bears and 49ers, in particular, look awful. The Packers have done well by simply subtracting a level of stripes so that those which remain are bold and in proportion. I think teams need to adjust to the reailty of the modern cropped-sleeve jersey and leave that area of the uniform blank or develop a mark just for that. I don't like repeating the helmet logo there: to me it looks redundant.

I sometimes miss the big-sleeved 1980's look. . .

I think teams need to adjust to the reailty of the modern cropped-sleeve jersey and leave that area of the uniform blank or develop a mark just for that. I don't like repeating the helmet logo there: to me it looks redundant.

I ALWAYS miss the bigger sleeves.

I agree about "adjust[ing] to the reality." There is a reason that most new uniforms have logos on the sleeves instead of stripes (ex., Ravens, Bucs, Eagles, Seahawks).

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

White shirt is about 1/2 inch of brown/orange/brown/orange/brown.

Brown shirt is 1/2 inch white/1/3 inch orange/1 inch brown/1/3 orange/1/2 white

I'm looking for the stripes on the home jersey.

Are you sure that that is the right order on the home jersey? I thought the order was white/brown/orange/brown/white/brown/orange/brown/white.

Are you sure that that is the right order on the home jersey? I thought the order was white/brown/orange/brown/white/brown/orange/brown/white.

Sorry,

I skipped the brown because it was the sleeve itself, but you are correct. There's maybe a 1/4 strip of brown between each white and orange stripe

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Which one? The early 80s or the late 80s?

On my two from the late 80s/90s the stripes are different sizes, one is 3/4" x 5 (w/ 4" sleeve numbers) and the other one is approx. 1/2" x 5 (w/ 3" sleeve numbers)

those are approximations w/ a ruler, on both the orange stripes are slightly wider, i think this is because they were applied last on top of the brown stripes

I have one brown jersey from that era and on it the white stripes are 3/4", the orange stripes are slightly wider than 1/2" and the brown stripes (actually the fabric, only the other 2 colors were heat applied) are about 1/8" for a total width of 3 3/4"

before i think 1984 the pattern on the white jerseys matched the pattern on the brown jerseys as someone else already mentioned, i have no jersey though to measure, i imagine theyre similar to the later brown jersey

No idea on the exact widths, but it from eyeballing some pix it seems like the actual stripe widths are not much different. The placement seems to be the big difference, with the contemporary stripes placed high up near the seam. Does anyone else see a big diff?

I think the Browns have done well with their uniforms, though I am not crazy about the new helmet shell. On TV and to my eyes it resembles the new shells in use at Clemson and North Carolina. They actually seem to have a duller finish despite what appears to be metal flake/sparkly-type surface.

It is interesting to see people talking about sleeve stripes, in this and other posts. I sometimes miss the big-sleeved 1980's look, and on some current NFL teams you do see two different designs, with some quarterbacks, kickers and punters wearing the longer sleeves. The stripes on these have room to breathe and look much better than the way some teams have condensed their stripes. The Bears and 49ers, in particular, look awful. The Packers have done well by simply subtracting a level of stripes so that those which remain are bold and in proportion. I think teams need to adjust to the reailty of the modern cropped-sleeve jersey and leave that area of the uniform blank or develop a mark just for that. I don't like repeating the helmet logo there: to me it looks redundant.

The longer sleeves will never come back, football players like the sleeveless styles, it holds the shoulder pads in better

i do think the shrunken half-stripes pushed up halfway onto the shoulder look ridiculous, although denvers looks ridiculous too

if it were up to me, id leave the numbers on the sleeve not the shoulder and reserve the sleeve for the numbers and the mfr. logo (seattle looks ridiculous w/ the logo and the tiny seahawk, the ravens w/ the starter logo in the middle of the logo was even worse)

put any team logo on the front of the jersey with the team name or instead of it, the other guy is right, no need to repeat the helmet logo right under it (its even worse when theyre different like tampa bay)

the stripes then should be limited to the cuff, the shoulder, or a combination thereof. most teams should be able to convert their traditional striping patterns to one or the other

something i would like to see tried is to place the stripes across the front shoulder seam (from sleeve to sleeve, or integrated w/ stripes on the sleeves to go from cuff to cuff) or maybe even around the whole shoulder yoke like some hockey jerseys

Which one? The early 80s or the late 80s?

On my two from the late 80s/90s the stripes are different sizes, one is 3/4" x 5 (w/ 4" sleeve numbers) and the other one is approx. 1/2" x 5 (w/ 3" sleeve numbers)

those are approximations w/ a ruler, on both the orange stripes are slightly wider, i think this is because they were applied last on top of the brown stripes

I have one brown jersey from that era and on it the white stripes are 3/4", the orange stripes are slightly wider than 1/2" and the brown stripes (actually the fabric, only the other 2 colors were heat applied) are about 1/8" for a total width of 3 3/4"

before i think 1984 the pattern on the white jerseys matched the pattern on the brown jerseys as someone else already mentioned, i have no jersey though to measure, i imagine theyre similar to the later brown jersey

The Kosar era of the 80's, so I guess mid to late 80's.

Archived