Big XII Title game

02Rover

I was curious as to why Texas was the road team and Colorado was the home team. Do they alternate which Big XII division is the home team each year?? Who was the "home" team in last years?? In 2003, Oklahoma was the home team and KSU was the road team. I dont remember who played in the game in 2004, but it doesnt seem consistant based on 2003 and 2005.

Also, on the field art, one end zone said 'Texas' and the other said 'Buffalos'.

Why the inconsistancy, one school name and one team nickname.

Any ideas why??

Well, the endzone names make sense. In the old days, road teams would wear their city or state on their chest, so visiting fans would know where they were from (at least in baseball). The assumption is that the fans know who the home team is, and their nickname. So if CU is home "Buffaloes" on the field makes sense, just like "Texas" for the road team.

As for one being home and the other the road, I would guess like you did, a rotating schedule for the North and South divisions. Crazy.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I was curious as to why Texas was the road team and Colorado was the home team. Do they alternate which Big XII division is the home team each year?? Who was the "home" team in last years?? In 2003, Oklahoma was the home team and KSU was the road team. I dont remember who played in the game in 2004, but it doesnt seem consistant based on 2003 and 2005.

Also, on the field art, one end zone said 'Texas' and the other said 'Buffalos'.

Any ideas why??

They alternate the "home" and "road" teams, although not as you would expect. From 1996-2001, they did, with the South being "home" in the even year. During this period, the Big XII held the title game alternately in the north (St. Louis) and South (San Antonio, then Dallas). The South team was named "home" when the game was in the north (so as not to stack the deck against that team) and vice versa.

The Big XII still does this, but they don't alternate the sites between north and south anymore. It went south-south-north-north-south from 2001-2005 (Dallas-Houston-KC-KC-Houston). They go back to KC next year.

And in one of the weirder trends, the team in the dark jerseys (designated home team) have won 7 of the 10 games, including the first 6.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

I was curious as to why Texas was the road team and Colorado was the home team.  Do they alternate which Big XII division is the home team each year??  Who was the "home" team in last years??  In 2003, Oklahoma was the home team and KSU was the road team.  I dont remember who played in the game in 2004, but it doesnt seem consistant based on 2003 and 2005.

Any ideas why??

They alternate the "home" and "road" teams, although not as you would expect. From 1996-2001, they did, with the South being "home" in the even year. During this period, the Big XII held the title game alternately in the north (St. Louis) and South (San Antonio, then Dallas). The South team was named "home" when the game was in the north (so as not to stack the deck against that team) and vice versa.

The Big XII still does this, but they don't alternate the sites between north and south anymore. It went south-south-north-north-south from 2001-2005 (Dallas-Houston-KC-KC-Houston). They go back to KC next year.

And in one of the weirder trends, the team in the dark jerseys (designated home team) have won 7 of the 10 games, including the first 6.

Wow, now that is confusing and convoluted, but I guess it explains the jerseys and field art from the other day.

Thanks.

Well, that explained the jerseys...

End zone art, well, I gather they just copied what the 'Horns and Buffs have in the endzones of their home fields.

Makes sense.

FANTASY TEAMS

Housatonic U. Dragons (NCFA Basketball): 16-6 (8-4 Conf.)--National Runner-Up

Jersey State U. (NCFA Football): Inaugural Year - 2006

Motor City Silverhawks (WArFL): 9-4 (3rd--National Conf.)

Lehigh Valley Ironmen (WAmFL): Inaugural Season--2006

New England Marauders RFC (RLI): 6-0-7 (6th place)

Detroit Spirit (AA): 3-6 (T-4th--Patriot League)

Brooklyn Atlantics (IBF): 10-5 (1st--Appalachian Conf.)

Boston Mariners RFU (WRU): Coming Soon!

New York Americans (SHL): Inaugural Season - 2006-07

Actually, I believe that Colorado just has Buffaloes in both endzones at home. Texas has both Texas and Longhorns in their endzones, so my guess is that they wanted each team to have their actual home design in the endzone, instead of just some generic font (C-USA Championship, for example).

ducks-large.jpg

Well, that explained the jerseys...

End zone art, well, I gather they just copied what the 'Horns and Buffs have in the endzones of their home fields.

Makes sense.

Actually at DKR Memorial Stadium the north endzone says "TEXAS" and the south says "LONGHORNS". I have a really great picture of this, but I haven't got around to setting up a photobucket account to show it.

Did anyone else notice the twenty-five yard line stripes were highlighted instead of the the twenties? Strange. It even threw off the refs a couple of times when they spotted the ball after touchbacks.

newsig.jpg

Archived