How is this legal?

DG_ThenNowForever

I saw a commercial for a local used car lot last night, and they had the new Blue Jays logo, albeit in teal and orange. Considering the logo itself is only two years old, how is this auto company able to use it? Is there a fair use of MLB logos that I don't know about?

JAYSNEW.gif

The website is jaysautosalesinc.com, for what it's worth, although I hate to add any traffic to that site.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Good question. There's a car shop in town called Wolverine Transmission or something like that which uses this old UM Wolverine logo (sans "M"), and has for a long time, I'm told. Also, a lot of local businesses use the trademarked block M in their logo as well. Maybe the U doesn't care that much.

(sorry for the photo, it's the best I could find of this 80s logo)

P0000148310S0016T2.jpg

spikes.jpg

In Wisconsin, there are a lot of businesses who use versions of the old Bucky Badger logo first designed in 1940, because it wasn't trademarked by the University until 1988.

Here's one, for a coach operator named Badger Bus. They turned Bucky's strut into a full run, but other than that, it's the same logo.

Picture (big)

It is illegal, but honestly, how much exposure is jay's Auto repair really getting, and how much money is he making off that logo?

if anything, some customers are having second thoughts most likely. if he ripped that off, what else or whom else will he rip off? know what i mean?

It is illegal, but honestly, how much exposure is jay's Auto repair really getting, and how much money is he making off that logo?

if anything, some customers are having second thoughts most likely. if he ripped that off, what else or whom else will he rip off? know what i mean?

Well, the commercial was geared towards the "good credit, bad credit, no credit," crowd, if you know what I mean. And most people here in central Kentucky don't care about the Toronto Blue Jays at all, let alone where Jay's Auto Sales got its logo from. If anything, if they saw the Blue Jays, they would probably accuess them of ripping off Jays, but that's taking it too far.

It still isn't right, any way you look at it.

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Exactly. The Blue Jays would have to find out about this first. And then they'd send the guy a C&D and if he refused, take him to court.

Hell, shoot the Blue Jays an email, maybe they'll send you a hat or something as a reward.

1zgyd8w.jpg

In my area there is "Buckeye Car Wash" that used the Ohio State "O" as their main logo. Workers have jackets and hats with the "O" on it and their colors are crimson and grey (and black in this case). I do not know if a former Buckeye owns the chain or if its just owned by an avid fan. I allways wondered how they got away with it, but this is Buckeye Country.

ESPNUAkron.jpg2002-2006 ALUMNI 2007-2009 ESPNUSeton.jpg

In addition to ripping off a team's wordmark for his personal commercial use, "Jay" is also broadcasting to the world that he uses substandard English.

Jays (no apostrophe) = plural of "Jay"

Jay's = property of "Jay".

So, he is a thief, he is lazy, and an idiot to boot. Where do I go to by a car from his mental giant? :rolleyes:

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

My point is that nothing you suggested is worth it. I don't really care enough to let the Blue Jays know, nor do I want a Blue Jays hat.

Well I do, I'll send an email in one moment. Remeber, you can't beat free stuff.

My point is that nothing you suggested is worth it. I don't really care enough to let the Blue Jays know, nor do I want a Blue Jays hat.

Well I do, I'll send an email in one moment. Remeber, you can't beat free stuff.

I already did. I got an "Out of Office" message. Amazing, huh?

I already did. I got an "Out of Office" message. Amazing, huh?

I'll give them a call using the phone line here at work :D (Once again, free stuff can't be beat!)

Why the heck would he decide to color it teal and orange for? Never seen a teal and orange jay before. Must be a Phins fan. If his dealership is like most, wouldn't there be the emblem of the dealership on the rear bumper of the car? He's just advertising to the world that he illegally uses trademarked work.

Also there is Redbird Vending here with the Illinois State Redbirds.

Archived