How is this legal?

DG_ThenNowForever

I'm always seeing high school, middle school, etc. football teams using pro and college team logos on their helmets.

I'm pretty sure the Boys Club isn't calling up the Detroit Lions football orignaziation to get permission to use their logo for a "9 and Under" football team.

6uXNWAo.png

I'm always seeing high school, middle school, etc. football teams using pro and college team logos on their helmets.

I'm pretty sure the Boys Club isn't calling up the Detroit Lions football orignaziation to get permission to use their logo for a "9 and Under" football team.

Oh, no. Schools are definitely allowed to use professional imagery. They are covered under fair use, because their logos are not sold for profit, and because they are hopefully educational institutions. Did you also know that school PA systems and radio stations don't pay royalties to ASCAP and EMI? It's for the same reason.

My high school was called the "Lil Irish," complete with the Notre Dame Fighting Irish logo recolored in maroon. The rumor was that Notre Dame wasn't pleased at all, but couldn't legally do anything about it. School use versus commercial use are two entirely different things.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Dear Andrew,

On behalf of the Toronto Blue Jays, thank you for your e-mail. 

We appreciate you bringing this to our attention.  I have taken the

liberty of forwarding this internally for review.

Sincerely,

Paul So

Manager, Guest Relations

Toronto Blue Jays & Rogers Centre

They sent me this

Dear Andrew,

Sincerely,

Paul So

Manager, Guest Relations

They sent me this

That means you aren't getting anything.

Oh, no. Schools are definitely allowed to use professional imagery. They are covered under fair use, because their logos are not sold for profit, and because they are hopefully educational institutions. Did you also know that school PA systems and radio stations don't pay royalties to ASCAP and EMI? It's for the same reason.

My high school was called the "Lil Irish," complete with the Notre Dame Fighting Irish logo recolored in maroon. The rumor was that Notre Dame wasn't pleased at all, but couldn't legally do anything about it. School use versus commercial use are two entirely different things.

Actually that's not true. Last year Ferris State sued a high school for using Ferris's bulldog logo because they never asked for permission to use. But Ferris dropped the suit once the school formally asked for the rights to use it and ask for renewal every five years. So colleges do have the right to protect their trademarks as much as anyone else. That's why they usually have the little TM by them.

I once had a car but I crashed it. I once had a guitar but I smashed it. I once, wait where am I going with this?

Dear Andrew,

Sincerely,

Paul So

Manager, Guest Relations

They sent me this

Yeah, I got the same response. If anyone gets anything and I don't that'd be too bad. I didn't bring it to attention, you know.

C'est la vie.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Dear Andrew,

Sincerely,

Paul So

Manager, Guest Relations

They sent me this

Yeah, I got the same response. If anyone gets anything and I don't that'd be too bad. I didn't bring it to attention, you know.

C'est la vie.

Where's the sarcasm smiley when you need it? Heh, just to make everything right and good in the world if they send anything (which I highly doubt) you can have it. Unless it's graphite colored :D

Dear Andrew,

Sincerely,

Paul So

Manager, Guest Relations

They sent me this

Paul So's the guy that hired me and was my boss for a year :P

Yeah, nothing's getting done with this, lol

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Archived