Pretty cool Ole Miss concept helmet

therebelas

Yea that stripe is cool, original, kinda like the Hawi'i helmet stripe.

impossiblefp4.jpg

The World Basketball Championship, the Davis Cup, Ryder Cup, Iraq: Every day there's further proof that we, as a nation, are not very good at international competition.

That's a sweet helmet, I much rather that to what they have now. The white stars on the red stripe really add a lot to it. I'm not even an Ole Miss fan, but I would almost consider buying that helmet.

AM.gif

Let's see ... that helmet reminds me of somehting ...

Oh yeh! The Confederate flag. Gee, that's what Ole Miss needs to do, go backwards and bring back the the stars & bars. Good idea.

My first thought as well. I think they would be treading into murky waters.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Oh yeh! The Confederate flag. Gee, that's what Ole Miss needs to do, go backwards and bring back the the stars & bars. Good idea.

The name Rebels doesn't conjure up any cessation imagery for you?

Either way, the Stars And Bars flag would not be recognized by most northerners anyway. Unless you're talking about the Confederate Battle Flag or Confederate Navy Jack, which were never national flags anyway and shouldn't be called "the Confederate Flag." You might note that on any flag flown over buildings, battalions, or ships of the Confederacy, the thirteen white stars always appeared on a field or stripe of blue, not red like in this helmet. No flag of the Confederacy exists where blue is the dominant color of the flag appearing on more than a third of the flag.

It's a great looking helmet that may bring up some bad imagery for some, but it's not close as you might think.

sticksstones4.png

The world's foremost practitioners of professional tag-team wrestling.

Figured I'd put the concept and the current one next to each other. I wonder if there might be ways of incorporating the two. I wonder what the script would look like with the stars helmet stripe and a red facemask. I think it would look good and would be a change, while keeping the script logo which is, in my opinion, a lot better than the same block "M" worn by several schools (including Mississippi State although they have the banner reading "State" in the middle).

5c_1.JPG

miss.gif

The name Rebels doesn't conjure up any cessation imagery for you?

Either way, the Stars And Bars flag would not be recognized by most northerners anyway. Unless you're talking about the Confederate Battle Flag or Confederate Navy Jack, which were never national flags anyway and shouldn't be called "the Confederate Flag." You might note that on any flag flown over buildings, battalions, or ships of the Confederacy, the thirteen white stars always appeared on a field or stripe of blue, not red like in this helmet. No flag of the Confederacy exists where blue is the dominant color of the flag appearing on more than a third of the flag.

It's a great looking helmet that may bring up some bad imagery for some, but it's not close as you might think.

You are factually correct on all points (except I think you meant "secession" rather than "cessation" :P ). However, even though the helmet is effectively a reversed image of the battle flag (i.e., red and blue are switched, so the field is blue and the stripe is red), that makes it close enough, IMHO, to stir up potential controversy. It would just seem to be unnecessary to walk even that close to line, wherever the line happens to be located these days.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

I like it. I'd almost like to see stars within the M.

And by the way, Gmac, if a helmet just says "Ole Miss" in script, then it is broken and needs fixing.

We had a flag, for a while, that had just that. I've pasted it along with the current "M flag" that replaced it in the mid-late 1990s. That block "M" or something very close to it is in the middle of the field with a script "Rebels" under it.

11061_160.jpg

Ole%20Miss%20Car%20Flag.jpg

Actually, I'm not sure, but this might have been one of the efforts to distance Ole Miss from the stars and bars flag and the Colonel Reb mascot. The Colonel used to be on the helmet and the fans used to carry and wave reble flags. The school tried to distance itself several years ago from that image by "banning" the rebel flag and using a flag that had a giant M with stars inside of the letter. (quotes used on banning because many fans simply ignored the new flag and continued to sneak in the stars and bars) Also, the helmet was changed and now simply says Ole Miss in cursive script instead of using the Colonel Reb image. Perhaps this helmet was one of the propsed changes.

I'm an SEC fan, but not an Ole Miss alum so perhaps someone from there can shed some more light on this issue.

I like the new helmet a lot. Then again, no one said the one the Rebels have now is a bad one. Ole Miss would never go to the one in the photo, because the school is trying to get away from the Confederate battle flag. However, without the stars on the top stripe (or "bar," if you will), the helmet might fly.

Figured I'd put the concept and the current one next to each other. I wonder if there might be ways of incorporating the two. I wonder what the script would look like with the stars helmet stripe and a red facemask. I think it would look good and would be a change, while keeping the script logo which is, in my opinion, a lot better than the same block "M" worn by several schools (including Mississippi State although they have the banner reading "State" in the middle).

5c_1.JPG

miss.gif

I love the stripe but they should keep the Ole Miss on the helmet.

maxmarketingsmalllogocopy2-1-1.jpg

Archived